Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agile55

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
TX
If this thread helps you please reply to let us know. It will bump the thread and allow more people to see it and save them some money

As of 8:30pm EST 9/23/12 people have saved $1,398 from the information in this thread. Want to help as many people as possible.

You can do it through their live chat. I just contacted them and they refunded both $36 upgrade fees. Technically they credited my account for that amount.

Its quick and easy and can save you some money.

http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=820

Live chat is on the right side of the screen, sign in and click billing and payment support.

All I said was:

"Good morning. I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account."

(When I wrote it to them it was plural as I was doing two fees and two contract extensions)

CaptO as the OP here, thx. again for letting us know as I just had my upgrade fee waived as well using the chat service.

Now the other issue w/ ATT taking my unlimited data plan off (had on my original iphone since 30June 2007) since I upgraded to the iP5 & replacing it w/ a monthly $30 fee, I have not resolved that one.

ANYONE care to give me some guidance w/ re to this issue?

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
CaptO as the OP here, thx. again for letting us know as I just had my upgrade fee waived as well using the chat service.

Now the other issue w/ ATT taking my unlimited data plan off (had on my original iphone since 30June 2007) since I upgraded to the iP5 & replacing it w/ a monthly $30 fee, I have not resolved that one.

I think you're out of luck. Unless you pay full price for the phone, you're stuck on their subsidized upgrade terms.

CrosshairDF2

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008

Call 611 on Monday and tell AT&T that your upgrade didn't go as planned, and that you should have been allowed to keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. I upgraded five lines over a period of six weeks and I was able to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plans on all of them.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I just upgraded to the galaxy note 2 for $199 with upgrade fees waived and free shipping.

I don't qualify for an upgrade to another iPhone for another few months, but was able to on other non-iPhone smartphones.

No need to wait for your 2 year contract to be up.

jjbeemer

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Fee Waived!

Just got my fee waived via live chat using the text from the first post. Had to wait for rep to "go to a supervisor" and I reiterated that I'm a good customer and just extended for two years.

sidefx

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010
It worked for me today. I used the line from the first post and got the standard response back...

I then told the agent I have been a customer for 7+ years and it worked!

intamin

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Got 43 dollar credit to my bill. Not sure why it's more than 36 bucks but what do I care?

Got the standard response. Pleaded by saying I was a loyal customer and *bam*, credited.

Just have to persevere a bit. :)

EDIT: Nm, 36 dollars. The other was a previous overpayment.

Last edited:

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
I have to pay 449 for the iPhone 5 unless i wait a few more months, but my screen is cracked, they didnt seem to want to budge, ATT that is, any ideas?

JasonLS1

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
SUCCESS !! per the live chat

Asked using the above "I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone5. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account.", they responded with why im asking for the waiver, I replied that i've been a happy att customer the past few years an figured it couldnt hurt to ask :)

"I have applied the credit in the amount of $36.00 plus tax it is $41.80 credit. Is there anything else I can assist you with ?"

vidro3

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
first time poster - not sure if they have changed policies recently but the wording I got from the Chat customer service person was different than what others have posted in here.

something like,
the fee is used to account for administrative costs, on every upgrade eligible phone, blah blah blah "the $36 fee is not a fee that can be waived"

maybe I should have asked for a $36 credit but I'm not 100% sure I want a new 2yr contract anyway. maybe ill try again over the phone

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
first time poster - not sure if they have changed policies recently but the wording I got from the Chat customer service person was different than what others have posted in here.

something like,
the fee is used to account for administrative costs, on every upgrade eligible phone, blah blah blah "the $36 fee is not a fee that can be waived"

maybe I should have asked for a $36 credit but I'm not 100% sure I want a new 2yr contract anyway. maybe ill try again over the phone

Try again.
You got a stubborn rep.

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007

something like,

I got that same reply. I then just replied with something like 'I understand, but money is really tight and it would be great not to have a higher bill.' Then she waived it for me. Just keep chatting.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
wife's iphone was purchased about 3 weeks ago, bill was processed and I noticed it was higher than usual. Then I realized it had the upgrade fee on it; long story short, fired up the bill chat online, 3 mins later it was credit to my bill and was applied immediately.

Very happy customer here!

The Bossman

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Philly
Upgrade fleece

Hey folks, I didn't realize this thread existed. (Glad I searched) I just happened to get my AT&T bill today and saw that my statement went up by $43.01. Buried in the smaller print was a "One time charge for upgrade" of $36.00
They charged me friggan tax on that to bring it to $43.01!... F#€&ing vampires.

Being that I ordered the phone a month ago from Apple, not AT&T and I still haven't gotten it yet...I called and asked them to remove the charge.

No problem, charge was credited.

-Bossman

buddda

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
:D Worked for me! Thanks OP! I copy and pasted from this thread:

"I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone5. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account."

They gave me no issues and proceeded to do it for me. I didn't have to say not one more word.

Badass advice, 10/10.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
How many people were able to get multiple waivers? I got 2/3 lines. The other client for upgraded but on the 2nd upgrade fee waiver, the woman said, "blah blah blah our policy.... Blah blah.... We can't guarantee we will do the same thing next time." So next phone bill, I am going to call but I wonder if they'll waive if for the third time."

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
How many people were able to get multiple waivers? I got 2/3 lines. The other client for upgraded but on the 2nd upgrade fee waiver, the woman said, "blah blah blah our policy.... Blah blah.... We can't guarantee we will do the same thing next time." So next phone bill, I am going to call but I wonder if they'll waive if for the third time."

I'm suspecting at&t is starting to clamp down on waiving the upgrade fee or only allowing one waiver. I was able to get my fee waived, but I got this response:

"I am able to credit your account for the upgrade fee as a one time courtesy adjustment, but this is a one time adjustment. In the future you will be expected to pay this standard upgrade fee."

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I'm suspecting at&t is starting to clamp down on waiving the upgrade fee or only allowing one waiver. I was able to get my fee waived, but I got this response:

"I am able to credit your account for the upgrade fee as a one time courtesy adjustment, but this is a one time adjustment. In the future you will be expected to pay this standard upgrade fee."

I got that response when I upgraded one of my lines to a 4S a month ago. Since then I have activated an iPad 4 and iPhone 5. When the bill arrives I'll try my luck again. The only argument I can think of is that I don't think Verizon charges an upgrade fee?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

I wonder what the limit is? I got two waivers in a row. But I'm try again next bill. Let us now what results you all get.

CrosshairDF2

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
FIVE FOR FIVE! Upgraded my last line on Monday and chatted to get my fifth upgrade fee waived just now. Total saved = $213.90, which is like a free iPhone 5.

I wonder what the limit is? I got two waivers in a row. But I'm try again next bill. Let us now what results you all get.

That "credit your account for the upgrade fee as a one time courtesy adjustment" is from a canned script. I received a total of five waivers!

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Upgraded wifes phone and at first she wouldn't budge. They she said she would try for half of the waiver. She finally gave me the full credit.

-----

AT&T: The discounted price received was with the $36 fee and 2 year term.
AT&T: This fee is to help offset the large phone discount we provide as well as costs incurred for the upgrade process.
Me: I understand, I've been a long time customer in good standing.
AT&T: I understand. We have the ability to credit $36 once as a courtesy but this was done 10/22 already.
AT&T: I am glad we were able to help you out with this. The fee is standard as would be required for any subsidized purchases.
Me: :( thanks for your time
AT&T: You're welcome. I can see if a can get half of the fee waived for you
AT&T: Just a moment to see if another exception can be made for this standard fee.
Me: If you can try for the full that would be great
AT&T: Yes just a few moments to see please. I also want to let you know to avoid the fee in the future you would just pay the retail price, this also would not involve a new 2 year term.
Me: thanks
AT&T: You're welcome
AT&T: Thank you for waiting. I have been able to apply the last courtesy upgrade credit for this account. I have noted the account. The next printed bill will show a charge and credit right below. For confirmation of what we have discussed, you can email the chat to yourself or print a copy. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Me: That was all I needed for today. Appreciate the assistance. Have been very happy with AT&T as of late. No issues whats so ever. You have a great day.
AT&T: Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your day! We value your business and thank you for visiting AT&T. You may click the close button to end your session.

tgif1386

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Fee waived

Get this response: " I do see that you have been with us since at least 2008, I do want to thank you for that. As a one time courtesy I can credit your upgrade fee. Please be advised we will not be waiving this fee in the future. This fee is a standard fee and we will have to charge you the fee in the future.". Amount credited is $46.15. Kind of strange. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.