Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced that the carrier plans to introduce a couple of new Mobile Share Value Plans beginning tomorrow, further expanding data bucket options for its customers while simultaneously cutting the prices of a few existing data storage options. Customers will have new options like 2GB ($30) and 5GB ($50), but those who opt-in for a plan with 15GB or higher will get unlimited talk and text to Mexico and Canada.

att-plans.jpg
"There's never been a better time to be an AT&T customer," said David Christopher, chief marketing officer, AT&T Mobility. "Tomorrow, we roll out new plans for everyone, including a plan that gives 50% more data than on our most popular plan. And we're not done yet."
The announcement today sees the price of the 15GB plan cut from $130 to $100, alongside the 20GB plan getting reduced down from $150 to $140. The company notes that larger-size plans like 25GB, 30GB, 40GB and 50GB are also available, and business customers can get plans that go up to as much as 200GB.

All of the plans being announced tomorrow cover the same benefits and options under AT&T Next, which allows users to pay for their phone in monthly installment plans of 12, 18, or 24 months. AT&T mentions briefly that "select locations" still provide two year contracts for $40 per line, but the company is in obvious motions to begin supporting subsidized contracts less and less as they pivot to a focus on Next's installment plans.

Article Link: AT&T Introduces New Mobile Share Value Plans With More Data

benfro6

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Wondering if users will have to call to ask for price break. Sometimes, companies "grandfather" in existing customers to the old price points.

Reactions: Speedman100

Dominick624

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2014
So if I'm on the 10gb $100 mobile share plan now, do I get automatically upgraded to 15 with the new benefits then?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Unless I can get a substantial corporate discount the new pricing isn't exactly attractive. In fact it looks like a price increase in some ways.

I like AT&T and have had great service with them but this could be incentive to look around when the next iPhine comes out.

S197Mike

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Unless I can get a substantial corporate discount the new pricing isn't exactly attractive. In fact it looks like a price increase in some ways.

I like AT&T and have had great service with them but this could be incentive to look around when the next iPhine comes out.

Yeah AT&T always seems to roll out new plans around iPhone launch. Best to wait another year to get a better deal

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
So if I'm on the 10gb $100 mobile share plan now, do I get automatically upgraded to 15 with the new benefits then?

I'm on a 10GB plan too. I'm guessing they'll automatically switch people to the 15GB plan (or just have you continue paying the same price for your 10GB until you switch to something else).

I don't use much data, so for $50 less a month I'll gladly drop down to the 5GB a month plan... assuming it still includes tethering?

EDIT: actually it looks like the 5GB plan would only be $30 less a month than the 15GB one for me, since they charge $25 per line (instead of $15 per line on the 15GB plan)

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Goddamn reading this article and seeing the prices really highlights how American mobile carriers screw the customers. I get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data -- albeit 3G -- for £20 ($31) a month. The rest of Europe's prices are fairly synonymous with this too.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

I've also had a good experience with ATT and I get a 20% corporate discount but I'll probably shop around anyway. I feel like some of T-Mob's recent moves might be a better value, even without a corporate discount.

One carrier I would never consider is Verizon. Their customer service is the absolute worst.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've also had a good experience with ATT and I get a 20% corporate discount but I'll probably shop around anyway. I feel like some of T-Mob's recent moves might be a better value, even without a corporate discount.

One carrier I would never consider is Verizon. Their customer service is the absolute worst.
Actually VZW customer service is excellent. But everybody has a ymmv story.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Goddamn reading this article and seeing the prices really highlights how American mobile carriers screw the customers. I get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data -- albeit 3G -- for £20 ($31) a month. The rest of Europe's prices are fairly synonymous with this too.

Not comparable.
How much does it cost you to call a non-geographic number? Call another mobile phone? Cost to send picture messages? Call a destination 2,500 miles away? Travel 2,500 miles away and make calls and use data? Additional cost for people to call your phone from a landline? This is all free in the US.
British carriers especially play the intercarrier compensation game to get their revenues (the whole NGN and calling party pays schemes), where US carriers bill upfront.

Reactions: ohio.emt

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The wireless carriers are getting as good with these data plan levels/charges as the cable and satellite carriers are with programming packages. They price the 5GB plan at $50, and $100 for the 15GB plan. No 10GB option at $75, because they know people will choose that.

Verizon is doing the same thing with their stupid new pricing. 6GB, and 12GB. No 8GB in the middle.

Slime buckets.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wonder what happens to my current 1GB Mobile Share plan? I better call I think...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Not comparable.
How much does it cost you to call a non-geographic number? Call another mobile phone? Cost to send picture messages? Call a destination 2,500 miles away? Travel 2,500 miles away and make calls and use data? Additional cost for people to call your phone from a landline? This is all free in the US.

Wow, that's a pretty passionate response.

Just to clarify, my original point wasn't "whoo!! go Europe! US sucks!", but more "I hope you get fairer prices soon". I'm not sure why you're being so defensive for companies who, at the best of times, are widely regarded as pounding the consumer. But hey, if you're happy paying $100 a month because you feel you get more for your money, who am I to argue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.