Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opieap13

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
Actually VZW customer service is excellent. But everybody has a ymmv story.
Verizon's customer service use to be great then Verizon got greedy. I was with them 13 years. Now sprints customer service is completely awful plus their coverage sucks. I missed Verizon after going to sprint but ended up in AT&T so I could switch to T-Mobile if I needed.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Actually VZW customer service is excellent. But everybody has a ymmv story.

True. Everyone's experience is different depending on the issue and who they spoke to. But Verizon has a serious, fundamental problem in that they never integrated the various companies properly (wireless, wired and FIOS).

They're systems are so screwed up that when I called them about technical issues with FIOS, their phone options routed me to a dead # and hung up on me. They still think I'm their wireless customer even though I switched to AT&T 8 years ago when the iPhone came out.

My colleague, who came over from Verizon is the one who told me the reason why their service and systems are so bad, and corporate politics is apparently preventing them from fixing many of those issues.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
True. Everyone's experience is different depending on the issue and who they spoke to. But Verizon has a serious, fundamental problem in that they never integrated the various companies properly (wireless, wired and FIOS).

They're systems are so screwed up that when I called them about technical issues with FIOS, their phone options routed me to a dead # and hung up on me. They still think I'm their wireless customer even though I switched to AT&T 8 years ago when the iPhone came out.

My colleague, who came over from Verizon is the one who told me the reason why their service and systems are so bad, and corporate politics is apparently preventing them from fixing many of those issues.
I'm referring specifically to verizon wireless where I've never experienced anything other than great customer service.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
What does this mean for me? I have the old 15GB plan but upgraded to the double data when ATT was offering it a short time. Now I have 30GB. No price change?

I don't think so. I'm on this too and it's been pretty tough to beat. I hope this goes on for a long time and doesn't expire after a year or something, although I don't think we ever use more than 10 GB/month.

Reactions: Moorepheus

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm on a 10GB plan too. I'm guessing they'll automatically switch people to the 15GB plan (or just have you continue paying the same price for your 10GB until you switch to something else).

I don't use much data, so for $50 less a month I'll gladly drop down to the 5GB a month plan... assuming it still includes tethering?

EDIT: actually it looks like the 5GB plan would only be $30 less a month than the 15GB one for me, since they charge $25 per line (instead of $15 per line on the 15GB plan)

It will not happen automatically. If you want the updated plan price you will need to use your MyATT app or call and ask for it. One benefit is, you keep your plan for as long as you want without the worry of it being modified on your behalf. It requires you to be on the lookout for deals but it saves you the worry of something changing without you knowing it.

Reactions: ohio.emt

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I don't think so. I'm on this too and it's been pretty tough to beat. I hope this goes on for a long time and doesn't expire after a year or something, although I don't think we ever use more than 10 GB/month.

I didn't think 15GB would be a problem but somehow, I have to threaten my kids by the third week in. Let them have access to Netflix on the road and 10GB will be a good start. :)

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
300MB/month? Why even offer this?
For those, sweet, sweet, succulent overage charges! $20 for every *300meg* extra for exceeding your 300 meg "bucket". Just one overage fee on the 300 meg tier, would pay for two months of service at the 2GB tier.

Or $60 for 900meg vs $15 for 1GB on every other tier.

Last edited:

Jeffro&3

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
So if I am on the 10GB for $100 plan, which they discounted to $80 per month to keep me from switching to T-Mo, does anyone know the likelihood of getting a 15GB plan for equivalent price?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So if I am on the 10GB for $100 plan, which they discounted to $80 per month to keep me from switching to T-Mo, does anyone know the likelihood of getting a 15GB plan for equivalent price?
You would have to call and ask. Good luck.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
No crap - I am not touching my account settings. With rollover data, I always have over 40GB of data and that's with 5 lines and my kids playing youtube 3-4 hours a day over LTE

Share30.png

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Does this include making calls from Mexico and Canada to the US? I have a trip next month and was seriously considering switching to T-Mobile prior to this announcement.

Last edited:

paysdoufs

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Wow, that's a pretty passionate response.

Just to clarify, my original point wasn't "whoo!! go Europe! US sucks!", but more "I hope you get fairer prices soon". I'm not sure why you're being so defensive for companies who, at the best of times, are widely regarded as pounding the consumer. But hey, if you're happy paying $100 a month because you feel you get more for your money, who am I to argue.

No dice, mate. I tried to have the same discussion a few days earlier... Our US friends here either don't get it or don't want to admit that they're getting screwed for a commodity. I wonder if we should tell them that after 2017 even international roaming will (mostly) be a thing of the past in the EU...

At least this explains why US TelCo companies aren't active OUS - they're probably simply not lean and agile enough to compete in a cut-throat market.

However, what is still puzzling me is that the FTC continues to turn a blind eye to these prices (device access charge :p !!!). My best guess is that the US government is raking in tons of license fees from the TelCo companies. Or that they're so good at lobbying that they're basically insulated from any real competition (except for a bit of shadow boxing).

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Because believe it or not, not everyone uses a ton of data. I'm pretty sure my parents could share a 300 MB plan and not go over.
i believe he means it more like they could just offer 1GB for the same price just like the iPhone with 16GB could be replaced by a 32GB one while keepibg the same price. they would still make plenty of money.

of course from a business stand point its obvious why they dont

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
What a scam...ill stick to T-Mobile with my unlimited data. I use between 10-20gb per month.

No way I'm spending $140 for one line of 20gb CAPPED data. Hahahhahah.

Maybe I'll switch when they offer 40gb for under $100

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
These plans really don't offer any value
That's worth looking at
ATT. shooting itself in the foot

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Why are US plans getting worse? T-Mobile is the only affordable game in town. The MVOs or whatever have slow speeds. What the ****, America?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
What does this mean for me? I have the old 15GB plan but upgraded to the double data when ATT was offering it a short time. Now I have 30GB. No price change?

Most likely no change to you. You are maybe the 1% who actually caught that deal when they had it for that one month period. I have the 40GB/$150(before discount) with Verizon, I don't believe they will change it.

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Live in the uk. Only pay £18 a month. For unlimited talk text and data. And 4g. Cannot not believe how much you lot over the pond pay
It does suck, isn't your gas 7-8 a gallon though? I feel like there is always something to balance out costs.... I do wish the us would do away with pay for this level to use this service...if I want a 300mb plan and use Pandora all day and teather my iPad too how is that my carriers business?

Reactions: QuarterSwede

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I signed up for 4 GB of data for $70 originally, then they bumped me to 6 GB for $70... I think I'll drop to the 5 GB for $50 ASAP.

I'm really happy that TMobile is forcing AT&T to try to keep me.... And if AT&T ever stops trying, I might just swap to TMobile.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I'm already on a $100 for 15 GB mobile share plan. And with my 17% corp discount, it's actually $83. Should I switch to the new plan? Will that get me the Mexico/Canada thing? Will I still get my corporate discount?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
i believe he means it more like they could just offer 1GB for the same price just like the iPhone with 16GB could be replaced by a 32GB one while keepibg the same price. they would still make plenty of money.
Instead they conveniently dropped the 1GB plan (which is plenty for individual users who rarely stream video or music), forcing users to pay $5 more for 2GB which they may not need. They are really good at finding the various sweet spots and *not* offering a fitting plan ...

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm already on a $100 for 15 GB mobile share plan. And with my 17% corp discount, it's actually $83. Should I switch to the new plan? Will that get me the Mexico/Canada thing? Will I still get my corporate discount?
Assuming you have to pay a fee today to communicate with Canada and Mexico this would change that. Your price would stay the same.

Edit: I am on the same plan as you but will call tomorrow to switch to this one. The only difference is the addition of calling/texting Mexico and Canada. I do neither but if it costs no more than what I already pay why not take the time to add it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.