Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
The last rep I spoke to was well aware of the change, and also spoke to one of the higher ups about it. She said yes, I could get an uncapped data plan on an additional 3G or 3GS but NO, the new iPhone is not a qualified upgrade device to keep the grandfather unlimited plan. Once the new IMEI was activated on the account, the activation process will require the new capped data plan.

Thanks for the clarification.

gimmeaipod

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
I currently do not have a data plan but was planning on getting one with the new iPhone when it is released. Is there any way for me to add the current $30 unlimited iPhone data plan to my account right now? Could I borrow a iPhone, call AT&T, and say that I now have an iPhone and to add the $30 data to my existing plan? Or maybe tell a rep that I just bought a 3gs online, which is in transit to me, and to add the unlimited plan to my account? I would be paying ~25 for the unlimited plan with my discount and will not be tethering, so why pay $25 for 2GB...

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
The last rep I spoke to was well aware of the change, and also spoke to one of the higher ups about it. She said yes, I could get an uncapped data plan on an additional 3G or 3GS but NO, the new iPhone is not a qualified upgrade device to keep the grandfather unlimited plan. Once the new IMEI was activated on the account, the activation process will require the new capped data plan.
Really that really sucks :mad: I was going to give my 3GS to my mom and buy the New iPhone 4/HD that going to piss me off i can't have my unlimited data for the new iPhone

by the way how do you know how much you use by the month of the data usages?

jkchr1s

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I currently do not have a data plan but was planning on getting one with the new iPhone when it is released. Is there any way for me to add the current $30 unlimited iPhone data plan to my account right now? Could I borrow a iPhone, call AT&T, and say that I now have an iPhone and to add the $30 data to my existing plan? Or maybe tell a rep that I just bought a 3gs online, which is in transit to me, and to add the unlimited plan to my account? I would be paying ~25 for the unlimited plan with my discount and will not be tethering, so why pay $25 for 2GB...

Yes, you could borrow a 3G/3GS and call to add the unlimited data plan. But if you want the new unreleased iPhone, from what the rep just told me, you have to change to the capped data plans because the new iPhone isn't a "qualified upgrade device" for the grandfathered plan. This would only allow you to get unlimited on a 3G or 3GS.

gimmeaipod

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Yes, you could borrow a 3G/3GS and call to add the unlimited data plan. But if you want the new unreleased iPhone, from what the rep just told me, you have to change to the capped data plans because the new iPhone isn't a "qualified upgrade device" for the grandfathered plan. This would only allow you to get unlimited on a 3G or 3GS.

OK, thanks. Well, hopefully the rep is wrong..but it wouldn't hurt to try, I guess. When I borrow a 3G/GS, I can just pop in my sim and make the call right?

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA

Ok, NOW, if I'm reading correctly, you're saying that those who already have an unlimited plan on an iPhone will NOT get to keep unlimited data if they upgrade to iPhone 4?

If that's the case, that's what I originally assumed when I saw the change (i.e., when you sign the new 2-year agreement, you get locked into the 2GB cap). HOWEVER, the original "AT&T iPhone Customers Can Keep Unlimited Data Plan for Next iPhone" makes it seem those who currently have unlimited data plans on their iPhones will upgrade to the same unlimited data plans with the iPhone 4, subsidized I'd hope.

For example, I currently own an iPhone 3G w/ unlimited data (though it's currently on eBay). What this MacRumors post seems to say is that when I get the iPhone 4, I will still have an unlimited data plan.

One more thing: If the reps you spoke to are even acknowledging a new iPhone, then I'm going to say that they aren't reliable sources of info.

jkchr1s

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Ok, NOW, if I'm reading correctly, you're saying that those who already have an unlimited plan on an iPhone will NOT get to keep unlimited data if they upgrade to iPhone 4?

If that's the case, that's what I originally assumed when I saw the change (i.e., when you sign the new 2-year agreement, you get locked into the 2GB cap). HOWEVER, the original "AT&T iPhone Customers Can Keep Unlimited Data Plan for Next iPhone" makes it seem those who currently have unlimited data plans on their iPhones will upgrade to the same unlimited data plans with the iPhone 4, subsidized I'd hope.

For example, I currently own an iPhone 3G w/ unlimited data (though it's currently on eBay). What this MacRumors post seems to say is that when I get the iPhone 4, I will still have an unlimited data plan.

One more thing: If the reps you spoke to are even acknowledging a new iPhone, then I'm going to say that they aren't reliable sources of info.

I just called the 1-800 number again and another person put me on hold and confirmed that the unlimited data plan WILL BE REMOVED when you get the new iPhone. I specifically asked, "So there is no possible way to remain on the unlimited 3G data plan with the new upcoming iPhone?" and the rep said, "No, you can keep the data plan if you keep your existing phone or replace it with the same model, but the new iPhone will force you to use the tiered data plans."

That just blows. I can't wait until Verizon gets it... I've hated AT&T from the start and this is just a bunch of crap. $150 early termination fee, here I come!

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
I just called the 1-800 number again and another person put me on hold and confirmed that the unlimited data plan WILL BE REMOVED when you get the new iPhone. I specifically asked, "So there is no possible way to remain on the unlimited 3G data plan with the new upcoming iPhone?" and the rep said, "No, you can keep the data plan if you keep your existing phone or replace it with the same model, but the new iPhone will force you to use the tiered data plans."

That just blows. I can't wait until Verizon gets it... I've hated AT&T from the start and this is just a bunch of crap. $150 early termination fee, here I come!

Again, you're quoting reps who acknowledge that there is an unreleased iPhone. No offense, but it hasn't even been ANNOUNCED yet, so I really can't believe a single thing these people say. Customer service reps will say whatever they think is true. There's the CHANCE that they've been briefed on the next iPhone; however, I feel like this would be a huge breech in Apple secrecy

I say stop wasting your time, as there is no point in speculating until next Monday if/when it's actually released. If you're going to try to circumvent the system, go for it. If they stop unlimited data for the iPhone 4, then it's something we'll all have to deal with.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
can i have a cliff notes version of what is happening?

tl;dr: 70% of people are pissed that AT&T would dare cap bandwidth, while 30% doesn't mind as most people don't NEED 2GB of data and it will improve network strength. Nobody has any real clue what's going on, and nobody knows for sure whether or not the unlimited data plan will work for CURRENT subscribers (i.e., if you have an iPhone 3G or 3GS and want to get the iPhone 4, will you keep the unlimited?)

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Again, you're quoting reps who acknowledge that there is an unreleased iPhone. No offense, but it hasn't even been ANNOUNCED yet, so I really can't believe a single thing these people say. Customer service reps will say whatever they think is true. There's the CHANCE that they've been briefed on the next iPhone; however, I feel like this would be a huge breech in Apple secrecy

I say stop wasting your time, as there is no point in speculating until next Monday if/when it's actually released. If you're going to try to circumvent the system, go for it. If they stop unlimited data for the iPhone 4, then it's something we'll all have to deal with.
The way I read it, it says you can keep your unlimited data when switching phones here the link http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703561604575282173014134754.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_emailed I guess we just have to wait next week and see what happens I really hope we do keep our unlimited data while we switch to the new iphone

SAPPete

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
I just called the 1-800 number again and another person put me on hold and confirmed that the unlimited data plan WILL BE REMOVED when you get the new iPhone. I specifically asked, "So there is no possible way to remain on the unlimited 3G data plan with the new upcoming iPhone?" and the rep said, "No, you can keep the data plan if you keep your existing phone or replace it with the same model, but the new iPhone will force you to use the tiered data plans.

If that should indeed be the case, there will be no additional / upgraded iPhones in our 4 iPhone household. Time to look at Android phones. FU AT$T. And FU Steve.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
. Time to look at Android phones. FU AT$T. And FU Steve.

And if those android devices are going to be on Verizon then it will be a matter of time before Verizon switches over to this pricing model as well. They have already said tiered pricing is in their future.

dertbv

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
How about letting me drop the data plan altogether

Hey Att if you are having bandwidth problems how about not forcing me to buy it. I really do not need the 3g service but have to pay for it. Never really understood how they can force us to buy something like that.

Or maybe instead or automagically charging me for more bandwidth if I go over my preset limit you block the usage.

jkchr1s

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I just fired an email off to Steve Jobs himself, so maybe he'll chime in on the issue. He probably won't reply though. I'll let you guys know if he does.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Not fair. If I want an iPhone and unlimited data, I won't get it even though I'm willing to pay a measly $5 more? That's not right. I don't want an iPHone now though, so it doesn't really matter. Just an outside view.

Cry me a river. How old are you? Life isn't fair. Get over it & suck it up.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
One more thing I'd like to note:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/02/poll-technica-how-data-3g-are-you-using-on-your-iphone.ars

That Ars Technica poll shows average data usage for over 5000 iPhone users. 86% of people used less than 1GB of data, while 14% used more than 5GB. There isn't a 2GB increment, though I'm curious to see what the percentages would have been like

I have a friend who tethers her jailbroken iPhone. She used the crap out of it one month recently and still only hit 1.7GB.

Edit: I should point out she also uses it as an AP for her friends so it was 2-3 of them at a time using bandwidth. If you're D/L'ing movies, etc. that's one thing. Outside of that 2GB is a lot for the vast majority. If you're in the minority ... oh well. I suppose you could complain ... that would certainly prove you're a minority, right? Er, I mean "in the minority"...er, I mean ... hm.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The way I read it, it says you can keep your unlimited data when switching phones here the link http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703561604575282173014134754.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_emailed I guess we just have to wait next week and see what happens I really hope we do keep our unlimited data while we switch to the new iphone

The way *I* interpret what I read at Ars Technica is that those who are current iPhone users on a contract right now can continue to use the unlimited data plan and even renew their contract WITH THE SAME DEVICE. That is, the same iPhone that one has already got. The same device means exactly that, not the next-generation iPhone.

Those who have the 3G iPad who have already been using the unlimited data plan on their device will be able to continue that plan as long as they keep renewing it each month.....but if they allow it to drop or they make a switch, that's the end of it.

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
The way *I* interpret what I read at Ars Technica is that those who are current iPhone users on a contract right now can continue to use the unlimited data plan and even renew their contract WITH THE SAME DEVICE. That is, the same iPhone that one has already got. The same device means exactly that, not the next-generation iPhone.

Those who have the 3G iPad who have already been using the unlimited data plan on their device will be able to continue that plan as long as they keep renewing it each month.....but if they allow it to drop or they make a switch, that's the end of it.
Oh yeah I took as it as Current AT&T smartphone customers, however, can opt to keep their existing plans indefinitely, even if they switch phones, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said. in that link I gave

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
You gotta figure - AT&T is NOT looking to collect less money or introduce this price plan just to go after those 2%. They haven't revealed yet why they are doing this. I don't think it's because they figure they'll get overage charges by tethering (although they will already be collecting $20/mo) because I just don't see too many people tethering to make up that $5/mo they're losing from every customer who switches.

There's something else that's coming that they're not saying. My guess is the video chat on the next iPhone is gonna suck some bandwidth, but I don't see that becoming so popular that it makes up the difference in overage charges...

Any other guesses?

Getting the 2% off the network or actually paying for the bandwidth used, frees AT&T up from having to spend money on additional hardware. It is a huge cost savings for AT&T. They would rather those over users leave their network if they are not going to pay their share, because one of them can be replaced by 10+ $15 a month customers. $15x10=$150 a month, which is much more than $30 a month. See how it is easy for AT&T to work this out?

The reality is the multiple is greater than 10. It is probably closer to 25 or 30. So with the same network infrastructure, for every 2% they get rid of and replace, their revenue goes up 1500% for data and costs stay the same.

When the new Netflix app is announced, a lot of you will be readjusting your data usage estimates. :D

I suspect most people of normal and regular data usage have access to wifi and do a lot of stuff on wifi, so such things will likely not have as much impact on the average user as you might think.

This is not a good answer. The correct answer is, on the iPhone, if you choose to do something, anything, you are using data.

A forcibly data capped iPhone makes no sense and AT&T just ruined the iPhone, IMO. I don't care what the usage statistics say.

The ruined it by making it cheaper to own for 98% of their customers?
How is that ruined?

How about a reasonable, not so soul-crushingly low, data cap + tethering? Say 5gb? For those of us who like to stream content, 2gb is just too low. I'm specifically thinking of Internet radio, but there's also Netflix, Apple's own upcoming "cloud" iTunes service, and who knows what else in the near future.

If you want 5 gigs and tethering it is $75 a month. It costs money, you can pay for it. As opposed to asking me to pay for it. Why should they charge $5 a month more to me and 20 other people here so you can have cheaper data?

I will of course, I mean for new subscribers. Limited (VERY limited) plans don't encourage usage...just the opposite. Everyone will be right back in 1995, where you were afraid to use your damn phone for fear of AT&T charging you out the rear with overage charges.

Overage charges are pretty clear spelled out and nothing like the olden days of metered usage. You go over on the $15 plan you can RETROACTIVELY upgrade to the $25 plan. You go over on the $25 plan it is $10 for 1 more gig of data. Seeing as how you are paying $12.50 for the each of the first two gigs of data, paying $10 for the next one should not be a big problem.

Right, I get that, but the kinds of figures I'd heard discussed prior to this were on the order of 5gb, and the concern was to prevent known types of really heavy usage, like peer-to-peer services. I could also see AT&T wanting to limit tethering via jailbreak. But I don't get adopting a cap that's going to cut into legitimate products, approved by Apple, that stream data.

For example, I'm currently at 2.1 gigs with 3 days to go on my month, and it's because of Sirius/XM. I use it approximately 20 hours a week (that's 4 hours a day for 5 days, at work). That does not strike me as excessive usage, yet my choices are: (1) grandfather, but don't use tethering (which is actually OK with me personally, but probably won't be for a significant number of others); (2) pay quite a bit more for data than I am now; or (3) curtail the use of a service that I pay for anyway and enjoy greatly.

I would think AT&T could make a data cap that's high enough for the people using a reasonable amount of streaming services and still protect their network, rather than do it the way they did it, which apparently was to look at the figures and decide that 2% of unsatisfied customers was a reasonable cost to pay to reduce further costs of building out more network.

Doesn't matter where the line was drawn, someone would be a victim of it. In this case it happens to be you. Moving the line wouldn't change that reality it would just make someone else who was right on the new line with their usage the victim.

I hope the 200mb plan is enough for the rumored iChat feature on the 4th gen iPhone.. I'm already grandfathered with the current unlimited plan but I would love to have my parents on the cheaper plan so we could video chat. They currently have 2g iPhones with no data plan because 30 bucks additional for each phone is ridiculous if they don't ever plan on using much of the Internet besides email.

Do your parents have wifi? Seems like something they might do from home anyways.. So not really an issue? Maybe they travel a lot I don't know.

Although I am a current iPhone user...yes, I know this topic is alllllll about new customers...

1)I would never sign up for a capped data plan...for anything...phone, ISP, computer, whatever. It's 2010...get with the program, ATT.

2)Even if I were fed drugs and did sign up for a capped plan, 2GB is the cap?!...especially when the "old days" were $5 more expensive and were UNLIMITED?! That's a pretty low cap for us internet surfers that visit websites with lots of photos and check/read their email that typically have a few megs of attachments PER DAY. And what about all that wonderful hype (Apple with their advertising) about watching YouTube?...that's right out the window.

3)I just checked my usage...out of 22 days I've used 44MB. Now, I use my iPhone 99% of the time at home...and I can tell you that over the past 22 days this phone was only used 1 time outside my home (which gives me WIFI) for data usage. Therefore, if I were to multiply 30 days by 44MB, I would be at 1320MB or 1.32GB per month. And that's low usage (if you ask me)...how do I know?... I can tell you that 44MB per day is very low for me (again, Youtube, email attachments, websites, GPS, my apps hitting the web) because that 1 day I used it was simply on a road trip...all highway usage. When I got to my locations I was on WIFI. That highway usage was maybe 4 hours worth of data usage/surfing.

4)There is no way (currently) for Apple or ATT to offer a breakdown of the data usage...such as web surfing vs. apps vs. iTunes vs. GPS, vs. YouTube etc. And it's my fault that websites these days are megabytes large in their bloated design?

5)Let me guess...there's no automatic text messages from ATT or Apple that I am approaching my cap. That's probably an additional $1.99 "service" on my ATT contract.

Overall, this new policy stinks. I haven't seen any charts, but I think I'm a pretty light ATT data usage person...and already close to the monthly cap that they want to force upon new users.

-Eric

This is crazy logic. So you used your phone 1 day outside wifi this month and extrapolated that if you did that for 30 days in a row it would be 1.2 gigs.

So even if you did something extraordinarily odd for you (spend 30 days on 3g only when you only did it one day in the last month), you would still be well under the cap and be paying less, you are ranting and raving about these changes.

That is your logic?

Fly Rodder

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
are enough people actually hitting past 2gb for them to put a cap?
probably not. What they are doing is charging nearly everyone $25 a month for 2gb when most people probably use 250-500m now AND capture income for the future when the majority of users exceed 2gb/month due to new bandwidth intensive abilities of the devices.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Tough choice for me. I've never really gone over 500mb/month, averaging about 300mb/month this year, using the phone whenever I want without ever considering data usage. So I'm inclined to save the $5/month, but out of principle I almost want to have the option of "unlimited" just in case. I'm really not sure how a faster phone (processor-wise) will change my browsing habits. Half the time I might have used my 3G I just get too frustrated at how long it takes to load and how cumbersome it is. With a faster processor and more RAM, offering a smoother experience, it's possible my data usage will go up. And with true multitasking, maybe even more streaming of audio and stuff. I can't imagine I will ever go over 1GB/month though (don't plan on ever tethering with the current options).

What I don't get is how you get 2GB/month but need to pay more money just to have the ability to tether. And then it just shares the same 2GB limit?! Why not just give us the sme 2GB/month and "free" tethering so we can use that 2GB however we please. If we go over (and you might/probably will with tethering) then you pay more. Seems like a win for AT&T to make more this way (by people paying $10/gb over) vs offering expensive tethering that almost no one will pay for.

+1 tethering with a 2Gb cap should be included for no additional charge for $25 a month. If ATT insists on charging more for tethering then it should be only $5 a month more, $10 max!! Spending $45 a month for data+tethering with a 2Gb cap is is ridiculous. I could have an iphone on the 200Mb plan plus an ipad on the 2Gb plan for only $40 a month and save $5 but with an extra 200Mb od data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.