Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherishzm

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Have any of you lucky unlockers gone to straighttalk's service? If so, have you been able to use mms without the jailbreak workaround? My contract is up in June and I'm planning on going that route if possible. Thanks!
Straighttalk's service does not require iPhone to be unlocked. I'm using my AT&T iPhone 4S on Straighttalk now just fine.

punkromance

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
UK guy here. Bought an AT&T iPhone a month or two ago under the impression I could get it unlocked easily, was wrong but kept it in the hope a new baseband unlock might come up. Phoned the 1-800 number for free on Skype, got through instantly and five minutes after taking my details she said she's put it all through and they'll email me through an unlock ticket when they can.

Can't fault the service.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Business support rocks - got them to run the unlock again and it came instantly! iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T model (it was replaced under warranty once fwiw)

FVZGtl.png

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
How long do you wait after they submit the request before you try the iTunes thing?

Probably about 30 seconds.

I did try getting it unlocked yesterday, and even though they gave me a case id, it never seemed to get submitted. When I contacted them again today, he sent me the email immediately, and instructed me that I should backup and restore my iPhone right then and there (I just deactivated it via SAM and let iTunes reactivate it, works just fine).

PaulDoFish

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You guys think I'll be able to get AT&T to unlock my iPhone 3GS? I bought it used from a friend and have it jailbroken/ultrasn0w-unlocked to use T-Mobile on it.

I'm fed up with having to worry about updating my phone and battery drain and etc from jailbreaking. The only reason I JB'd my phone was to unlock.. lol.

Guess I'll just get in the online chat queue...

EDIT: actually, you need an AT&T account to access live chat.. :/ hah. Should I call them?

Maybe I'll visit an AT&T shop and see if they can do the unlock process..

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
You guys think I'll be able to get AT&T to unlock my iPhone 3GS? I bought it used from a friend and have it jailbroken/ultrasn0w-unlocked to use T-Mobile on it.

I'm fed up with having to worry about updating my phone and battery drain and etc from jailbreaking. The only reason I JB'd my phone was to unlock.. lol.

Guess I'll just get in the online chat queue...

EDIT: actually, you need an AT&T account to access live chat.. :/ hah. Should I call them?

Does your friend have AT&T still? See if he'd be willing to do the unlock for you (or if he trusts you, I guess he can give you the last 4 of his social). Calling can't hurt, but they seem to be stricter about the requirements (they were asking me for a receipt while the chat guy just ran the unlock through)

PaulDoFish

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Does your friend have AT&T still? See if he'd be willing to do the unlock for you (or if he trusts you, I guess he can give you the last 4 of his social). Calling can't hurt, but they seem to be stricter about the requirements (they were asking me for a receipt while the chat guy just ran the unlock through)

Eh he was just an acquaintance and since then we've drifted apart, so that's not really an option :(.

I know a few friendly cell phone shops around here. I'll just ask around some day when i'm free. hopefully i can find someone...

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
If i have to restore i'll need to unlock because i don't have a AT&T simcard, i live in the Netherlands.

Good point. I'd probably just hactivate (and then use SAM to get a real activation ticket if you want push to work properly). I do understand that unlocking the 2G will be more convenient though.

SmittySmit

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Online chat support:

Jewell Hillier: The case number is xxxxxxxx - to be resolved on or before April 16,2012 - You will receive a call or an email with the code and instructions on how to unlock.
ME: Why so long that you can't just unlock my phone
Jewell Hillier: We do not have the unlock codes - we send in a case - Apple send us the unlock codes.
ME: Ok.

I just had the same experience on my second phone call. First guy told me that my iPhone wasn't registered to any account and that he couldn't do anything else. I should go to a store. I hung up and called in again. The next guy, submitted it to AT&T corporate who msg'd back that it would take until April 17, then my iPhone 3Gs would be unlocked.

I've been using this iPhone in Canada for the last 2.5 years, originally bought it from my brother in law, in Florida. I've upgraded to an locked iPhone 4S on a Canadian carrier but having a legit unlocked iPhone for travel will be fantastic!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
:rolleyes:The dev team has tried this before and it's harder than you think.
I wonder if someone can sniff the exchange between iTunes and Apple when the unlock is performed, and reverse engineer the unlock process so it can be used on in-contract phones?

If they can do it this easily it shouldn't be that hard to crack, right?

TimeArrow

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011

I did try getting it unlocked yesterday, and even though they gave me a case id, it never seemed to get submitted. When I contacted them again today, he sent me the email immediately, and instructed me that I should backup and restore my iPhone right then and there (I just deactivated it via SAM and let iTunes reactivate it, works just fine).

Good for you. What did they say to you yesterday that let you suspect its never submitted?
I'm also unlocking a 4S. They told me to wait within 48-72 hours with a case number. If that's exactly what you heard yesterday, I'd call them now. Else I think I may wait two more days. So what they told you yesterday?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Your iPhone is from ATT? You called ATT without having an ATT account? That sounds great!

UK guy here. Bought an AT&T iPhone a month or two ago under the impression I could get it unlocked easily, was wrong but kept it in the hope a new baseband unlock might come up. Phoned the 1-800 number for free on Skype, got through instantly and five minutes after taking my details she said she's put it all through and they'll email me through an unlock ticket when they can.

Can't fault the service.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Good for you. What did they say to you yesterday that let you suspect its never submitted?
I'm also unlocking a 4S. They told me to wait within 48-72 hours with a case number. If that's exactly what you heard yesterday, I'd call them now. Else I think I may wait two more days. So what they told you yesterday?

Well it's not so much what they said.. It's more what they didn't say. They didn't ask me what model phone it was, they didn't ask me to verify that it was no longer on contract, and I never got that email. Then when I saw that most people here seemed to getting there unlocks within a couple hours tops, I decided that it couldn't hurt to try again.

GreenMonster13

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
So they did it and got the email right away.

Now here is the tricky part, they tell you to restore your iPhone, but I'm sure a lot of us hate that, so of you have a jailbroken iPhone u r in luck, just follow this to avoid restoring
I had SAM installed from cydia so I deactivated my iPhone using SAM, reboot and connect to iTunes.

SAM is not required. Once the unlock ticket was submitted (according to rep). All I did was uninstall ultras0w, reboot and connected my iPhone 4 to iTunes (with a foreign sim installed). I was presented with a setup screen for ios5 on my iPhone and after selecting my wifi network it activated my phone automatically.

If you're already jailbroken, couldn't you just re-jailbreak and click the "deactivate" check box ? (and uncheck install cydia, since it's already there).

tuxos

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Business support rocks - got them to run the unlock again and it came instantly! iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T model (it was replaced under warranty once fwiw)

Can you help me, i dont have a att account, an i need unlock my full priced iphone 4, please can you register mi imei to unlock it?

chinesedemo

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2011
Can you help me, i dont have a att account, an i need unlock my full priced iphone 4, please can you register mi imei to unlock it?

Then buy an unlocked iPhone 4. Oh wait, you don't want to pay for it? You want the benefit of someone else's funds? The liberals must out tonight in droves.......

ra1nwoman

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
iTunes vs iCloud

Is restoring from iTunes mandatory or can we restore from iCloud as well? Appreciate your inputs...

GreenMonster13

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Took 2 tries on the 800-331-0500 customer support line before I got a case number for unlocking my iPhone 4 that I bought off ebay last November.

First guy said he couldn't find a valid "unlock date" (original purchase date ?)...

2nd try... Told them I don't have a current account, was asked for First Name, Last Name, State I live in, IMEI and email... Said my resolution date was April 17th, and gave me my case number. Said I might here something in as little as 48-72 hours.

Took about 5 minutes....

Hopefully this works :)

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA

Trying this now, so you just clicked over in SAM to "deactivate" and the plug into iTunes? Did you turn phone off etc?
Thanks

PicanteGamer

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Would someone with an account be willing to try pushing mine through again? I tried calling CS yesterday but I'm doubtful that it will be successful or that I went through the right process since I am not an AT&T customer and got the phone off eBay. I'd really really really appreciate it.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Trying this now, so you just clicked over in SAM to "deactivate" and the plug into iTunes? Did you turn phone off etc?
Thanks

I deactivated with sam, then under "country and carrier" I picked a random country and carrier, and then plugged into iTunes. If the phone is unlocked, you'll get the congratulations message. If for some reason iTunes doesn't attempt to activate it, eject the phone, then unplug/replug the USB cable

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
After being denied by online chat this morning, I just called in, and I was able to unlock an iPhone 3GS 32GB that I purchased from a friend in 2010. It has the old BootROM, so I was jailbreaking and using ultrasn0w to unlock for use when traveling, but now it's permanently unlocked.

The rep asked me for my IMEI number and put it through immediately. He told me to restore in iTunes, and I instantly got the unlock message. No waiting for an email or anything.

TimeArrow

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
Well it's not so much what they said.. It's more what they didn't say. They didn't ask me what model phone it was, they didn't ask me to verify that it was no longer on contract, and I never got that email. Then when I saw that most people here seemed to getting there unlocks within a couple hours tops, I decided that it couldn't hurt to try again.

Tried. Told me to expect the unlock on April 17.... The same as GreenMonster. Originally told me to check email within 48-72hours...... Have no clue what's going on. They said the status is" resolving", and they have no information as whether they are waiting for responding from Apple or even their own unlocking team.... Which means its possible that it has never been submitted at all.
So that's the difference between personal and business tech support? The biz tech support even has instant access to Apple's IMEI white list server and make it effect instantly?

Did you ever try unlock before? The non-commitment AT&T iPhone sold by Apple is born unlocked, though one will never notice until a restore. This is how i bought an unlocked iPhone 4S from the first week of launch. The official unlocked iPhone came one month later. Can you confirm that your iPhone is indeed locked but it's off contract?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.