Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Hey ATT, just give me 1.2MB on my new iPhone, mmmkkkkk

Enough with your touting how mighty you are; show it where I stand in a fully enclosed segment of 3G coverage and full bars.

You know, just make it work- Like Steve did.

kthnx

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
uh..

To me, if its the same speed as other "4g" phones... thats enough justification to label it 4g.. Everyone gets caught up in semantics... I'll just enjoy my fast downloads :cool:

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
No, it is not the same. What you just said is pure made up crap.

So are you saying that HSPA+ and HSDPA are 2 completely different things that are not in the same family and do not relate to each other whatsoever? If so that is made up crap. Its hard to explain to people cellular technologies. Just tell them its the same and it works fine.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So are you saying that HSPA+ and HSDPA are 2 completely different things that are not in the same family and do not relate to each other whatsoever? If so that is made up crap. Its hard to explain to people cellular technologies. Just tell them its the same and it works fine.

What I am saying is that your comment is made up crap. Simple.

Having HSDPA and HSUPA on your phone (any phone) does not grant it magical powers and allow it to be HSPA+ device.

You can have HSPA+ and HSDPA/HSUPA, but having the former does not, imply at all having HSPA+. You need the COMM chip to support HSPA+

If you're gonna call him out, explain fully.

I just did.... See above

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Having HSDPA and HSUPA on your phone (any phone) does not grant it magical powers and allow it to be HSPA+ device.

You can have HSPA+ and HSDPA/HSUPA, but having the former does not, imply at all having HSPA+. You need the COMM chip to support HSPA+

I just did.... See above

Okay, and how is what I said "made up crap". In the iPhone it is true, that is all we need to know. HSDPA + HSUPA make up a cellular technology, in the iPhone 4S it just happens to be HSPA+

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Or 3G

haha.

Winner.

Apple will never let something atrocious like "H+" appear on their product. They'll simply throw a blue rectangle with a white "S" inside it next to the 3G or something like that. Similar to how the edge symbol used to look before they just made it a blue E.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
You just don't get it do you...

having both techs does not grant you the ability to be HSPA+

While his wording was technically incorrect due to a small detail, it wasn't all "made up crap". But it was wrong.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I really like the 3G+ idea.

On the other hand, I understand how it's frustrating for AT&T to see other companies advertise 4G when their phones end up being slower than the 3G AT&T offers.

There's really no perfect solution. If make the cut-off by radio type you end up with that mess. If you do it by speed, who draws the lines?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
You just don't get it do you...

having both techs does not grant you the ability to be HSPA+

Yes I know that, but in this specific case of the iPhone 4S and other "4G" phones on AT&T it does. Im not talking about the entire industry here, I am just saying that in these specific cases it is HSPA+.

So I will say it again, in the iPhone 4S the technology allows it to be a HSPA+ device.

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
Not like anyone will ever see this show up anyway. AT&T's HSPA+ network is nonexistant. I can't get any idea what cities have it from AT&T's ridiculous coverage map. What garbage.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
14.4 is HSPA+

my htc inspire has H+ for the signal bar and no way it does 21mbps

HSDPA can indeed do 14.4 it's the top speed supported before going up to HSPA+. If iPhone 4S were HSPA+, I am pretty sure Apple would market it that way, and not as HSDPA.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

I just did.... See above

You seem to be talking in circles. The Qualcomm specs on the Apple chip (form anandtech) say:

HSDPA/HSUPA Speeds (HSPA+) 14.4 Mbps / 5.76 Mbps

This is essentially what he was trying to explain and you have still not offered any explanation as to why you called what said as crap. He never said having HSDPA and HSUPA automatically gives you HSPA+, he did say they form HSPA/HSPA+ that is 100% correct.

They form either HSPA or HSPA+ depending on speed. If you have HSDPA/HSUPA you have either HSPA or HSPA+. He said that, you called it crap. Your own explanation shows you do not understand the technology at all.

----------

HSDPA can indeed do 14.4 it's the top speed supported before going up to HSPA+. If iPhone 4S were HSPA+, I am pretty sure Apple would market it that way, and not as HSDPA.

I would think so too. It is also consider the lower end of HSPA+, but I am not sure the 4S meets all the other technical requirements. That is why you see a lot of references to HSPA+ speeds.

BTW Since the slide Apple was showing depicted Uplink and Downlink speeds it should have been titled HSPA or HSPA+ not HSDPA.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
If it uses the Qualcomm MDM6600 as many suppose, then yes, it is.

Interesting if 6600 does support HSPA+ not sure why they don't advertise as HSPA+, maybe dont' want to piss off VZ and S, or maybe they disabled it for whatever reason, battery, speed consistency, etc.

But still doesn't make sense since the international carriers should be able to use including the tons of users in Asia, so have to believe for some reason it doesn't support HSPA+ whether it's a custom 6600 or the firmware somehow disables it. All speculation on my part

who knows? i guess when ifixit does its teardown?? or in real world tests?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not like anyone will ever see this show up anyway. AT&T's HSPA+ network is nonexistant. I can't get any idea what cities have it from AT&T's ridiculous coverage map. What garbage.

The map itself is clear, it's the color key that's confusing.

What they call 4G is HSPA+.
What they call 'Mobile Broadband' is normal 3G.
And they label EDGE honestly, for some reason.

AT&T LTE is only in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Chicago, and Atlanta.

If you're looking at their map in any other city and see the '4G' color, you're seeing HSPA+.

Go here and click 'Coverage' to see those 5 cities:
http://www.att.com/network/

Go here and type a zip code to see the HSPA+ areas.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
I tried to do some research about what makes a device and network 4G, and my head nearly exploded. So, here's what I concluded. The masses will ever understand (or care) exactly what makes 4G, 4G. What makes sense, is that 4G is faster than 3G. Really easy to understand. So, if AT&T is stating that they want to make it clear that the iPhone 4S - on their network - can achieve speeds more similar to common 4G networks, by placing a logo that reads 4G when you've achieved those speeds, good for them.

All it says to me is that "I'm going faster", and who doesn't like to know when they're going faster.

It also, of course, allows them to take advantage of the only competitive advantage they have, over unlimited data, and the illusion of the "nation's best most reliable network".

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Interesting if 6600 does support HSPA+ not sure why they don't advertise as HSPA+, maybe dont' want to piss off VZ and S, or maybe they disabled it for whatever reason, battery, speed consistency, etc.

They may not have implemented HSPA+ in the baseband. There are other HSPA+ capable phones (have a chip that supports HSPA+) that don't have the code enabling it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.