Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Thank You

Woody, I think I can help you with the Sierra. I just tested with a guy from work yesterday and proved, his card, and yours, does have native support.

All you have to do is install the software (to get the driver). OR, install the driver (there is a download for it).

I will look at the settings, and post them on here for you. That way you can use that Sierra USB in all its Native goodness.

Thanks for your understanding, I have been trying to get this info out to as many as possible. I haven't read anything like I found and posted, seems like no one else has bridged the gap.

I'll post the settings tomorrow for you.

woodhousem

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
Thank You

Appreciate the assist 3GMac, I'm all for going native:D One of the reasons I finally went Mac (and they're right you don't go back) is because of the intuitiveness their systems exhibit as opposed to being inundated with 3d party software and countless driver updates and patches to fix incompatibility issues that I experience in Windows. Thanks once again.

Woody

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Didn't get a chance to get the config

I will get the exact config on Monday.

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Sierra Wireless Settings

Alright, so here's what I got.

First things first. You can just leave your Sierra Wireless software installed, (so you have the driver).

Put in the USB card, you should then see in Network Preferences; a Mini Card with a signal strength indicator. Then you below that you will see something called launch2net PPP Service. You will have to edit that Launch2Net. Put these settings in:

Telephone Number: isp.cingular
Account Name: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

Then click advanced, drop down the Vendor and select, Option. Click ok.

Then click Apply. Then select, Show modem status in menu bar.

Then click Connect. You should connect to the wireless network. You can now also Natively, from your menu bar, drop down that phone icon and just select the Launch2Net PPP Service, and connect to 3G that way. You can rename that Launch2Net service whatever you like.

After you test this, and it all works. I would UNINSTALL the Sierra Wireless software. And install just the driver found on this page: http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/support_and_downloads.aspx?id=4,13,1,2

You should be all set then. You MIGHT need to go through the settings again and readd the mini card and launch2Net service. Either way you know you can always reinstall the Sierra Wireless and follow the directions above again, and then never use the Sierra Wireless. And what I mean is, when you uninstall the Sierra Wireless, it MIGHT remove the two network devices configured to use the USB card.

If you could post how it goes, that would be great.

Thanks

daintyme

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Thanks So Much

Ok - I got it working!

1. Deinstalled GlobeTrotter Connect
2. Downloaded & installed GT Connect again (express card inserted)
3. Deleted all of the "modem" profiles created in System Preferences > Network
4. Chose GlobeTrotter Connect from the Location dropdown
Note - The adapter installs as Option 3G Ethernet
5. Made no further changes in System Preferences
6. Opened GlobeTrotter Connect from Applications folder
7. Opened Preferences and selected tab 3G/EDGE/GPRS
8. Added ISP.CINGULAR (all caps) in the APN field
9. I left Username and Password blank (empty field)
10. Tried to connect again - connected successfully!!!!!:)

Notes

Not sure what happened, but a clean install with the device installed may have helped.

After sw install, I removed the device and reinstalled - the card successfully initialized. I shut everything down (and removed the card), reinstalled the card, started GT Connect and it worked again.

It did try to install four GT Express Modems again..

I had been so frustrated with setting this up earlier, but after I just put in ISP.CINGULAR, it started to work. Thanks a lot!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I had been so frustrated with setting this up earlier, but after I just put in ISP.CINGULAR, it started to work. Thanks a lot!

Well if you set it up with wap.cingular for the APN, username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, and password CINGULAR1---allows you to use your regular $20 data plan for your phone on your data card--wap.cingular also enables data compression, but at the same time, some ports are blocked.

HPSCOTS

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
I just purchased an Option GT Ultra Express. I have a MacBook Pro with Mac OS v10.4 Tiger. I have not attempted to install any software, etc. Any suggestions on how to proceed? It appears that all of the previous posts deal with trying to remediate a glitch in a prior installation. Thanks for any help or advice.

akita11

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Verizon Wireless Express Card

Hello. I've just finished reading through this thread, having been referred by Parallels support.

I bought my MacBookPro in late Dec. 2006 to use with a Verizon Wireless V640 Express Card for internet access. Verizon got everything set up for me. My OS was Tiger. I live near mountains and my other options for internet access were dialup or satellite. Everything has worked fine with my setup, whether from my home or while traveling, except that I have not been able to get online through Parallels. I tried to go thru Parallels support for help; didn't get it so I dropped my efforts. Then, a couple of weeks ago I loaded on Leopard and its update (truthfully, I wish I hadn't). My VW card continues to access the internet on my OS side without any change to my settings, although I now get a notice that I need to Activate -- and even when I HAVE activated, I still get the message, although then I still CAN proceed to connect.

Recently I recontacted Parallels because I have some specialized PC apps I'd like to work with -- some require internet access to update or activate them. I still cannot get online through the PC/Parallels side, not with Internet Explorer (that came with my Windows XP) or with Firefox (which is the browser I use primarily). Parallels Support cannot help me. Can any of you?

Also, when I originally installed Parallels (about a year ago) I activated the Kaspersky internet security software, which a while back I was told via on-screen message was out-of-date. So I downloaded a current trial version, but I can't install it because I can't activate via the internet. AND, as a longtime MAC user, I am VERY nervous about security through the PC side. Currently I have no security/virus sw installed on the PC side (nothing separate on the OS side either). Any feedback on this issue?

Thanks for any info you can offer. By the way, I'm a good computer user but I don't speak "techno-language" very well!

akita11

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Not about how to remediate a glitch

I just purchased an Option GT Ultra Express. I have a MacBook Pro with Mac OS v10.4 Tiger. I have not attempted to install any software, etc. Any suggestions on how to proceed? It appears that all of the previous posts deal with trying to remediate a glitch in a prior installation. Thanks for any help or advice.

If you would take a few minutes to read over the posts starting on page 1. This is not about how to fix a glitch, it is about getting the card to work several different ways. With software, without software, etc. I don't know about getting the card to work in Tiger.

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Not Sure But....

Hello. I've just finished reading through this thread, having been referred by Parallels support.

I bought my MacBookPro in late Dec. 2006 to use with a Verizon Wireless V640 Express Card for internet access. Verizon got everything set up for me. My OS was Tiger. I live near mountains and my other options for internet access were dialup or satellite. Everything has worked fine with my setup, whether from my home or while traveling, except that I have not been able to get online through Parallels. I tried to go thru Parallels support for help; didn't get it so I dropped my efforts. Then, a couple of weeks ago I loaded on Leopard and its update (truthfully, I wish I hadn't). My VW card continues to access the internet on my OS side without any change to my settings, although I now get a notice that I need to Activate -- and even when I HAVE activated, I still get the message, although then I still CAN proceed to connect.

Recently I recontacted Parallels because I have some specialized PC apps I'd like to work with -- some require internet access to update or activate them. I still cannot get online through the PC/Parallels side, not with Internet Explorer (that came with my Windows XP) or with Firefox (which is the browser I use primarily). Parallels Support cannot help me. Can any of you?

Also, when I originally installed Parallels (about a year ago) I activated the Kaspersky internet security software, which a while back I was told via on-screen message was out-of-date. So I downloaded a current trial version, but I can't install it because I can't activate via the internet. AND, as a longtime MAC user, I am VERY nervous about security through the PC side. Currently I have no security/virus sw installed on the PC side (nothing separate on the OS side either). Any feedback on this issue?

Thanks for any info you can offer. By the way, I'm a good computer user but I don't speak "techno-language" very well!

akita11

I'm not 100% sure because I have not tried to do this before. But, you should be able to connect the wireless card device to Parallels then have the software installed on your Parallels machine and it will work. Now this is assuming that the OS on your Parallels machine is Windows. You shouldn't be huddled up in the corner worried about a Virus. 9 times out of 10 if you don't click on a link in an email, or click on some bogus link on a website, you aren't going to get a virus.

What kind of Router/Firewall (Network Device) do you have? If you have this then you should be safe as long as your machines aren't infected. The Router/Firewall like a Linksys or Netgear that goes on your Cable or DSL Modem will protect you because it will not allow NEW network connections in unless you configure it to allow them. The Router WILL allow your network connections out, like, Web traffic, etc, once that traffic travels out, replies to your requests are only allowed back in. Basically traffic needs to go out, to be allowed in.

This should get you started, I wouldn't worry about virus, installing that crappy software, Kaspersky, etc. If I have to recommend one to anybody I say AVG Free edition

akita11

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
I'm not 100% sure because I have not tried to do this before. But, you should be able to connect the wireless card device to Parallels then have the software installed on your Parallels machine and it will work. Now this is assuming that the OS on your Parallels machine is Windows. You shouldn't be huddled up in the corner worried about a Virus. 9 times out of 10 if you don't click on a link in an email, or click on some bogus link on a website, you aren't going to get a virus.

What kind of Router/Firewall (Network Device) do you have? If you have this then you should be safe as long as your machines aren't infected. The Router/Firewall like a Linksys or Netgear that goes on your Cable or DSL Modem will protect you because it will not allow NEW network connections in unless you configure it to allow them. The Router WILL allow your network connections out, like, Web traffic, etc, once that traffic travels out, replies to your requests are only allowed back in. Basically traffic needs to go out, to be allowed in.

This should get you started, I wouldn't worry about virus, installing that crappy software, Kaspersky, etc. If I have to recommend one to anybody I say AVG Free edition

Thank you, 3GMac, for responding to my inquiries. I've just gotten off the phone with Verizon Wireless and I believe I will try terminating my internet connection from my OS side, ejecting my V640 card, opening Windows XP, and then installing into the XP side what's needed from the CD that came with my V640 card. I think this is what you're suggesting in your first paragraph.

As for your other input re a router/firewall, I have no separate hardware with this designation. In fact, I have no cable or DSL modem because I connect wirelessly. Via Systems Preferences on the OS side as well as through Control Panel on the XP side, I have selected firewall ON -- but I have nothing else.

I appreciate your saying I shouldn't be worried about viruses, as well as your recommendation to use the AVG Free edition (is this "free" as in no money? or only for trial period? which version might you recommend?). A quick look online produces a message that the 8.0 version is a lot of stuff! way beyond what I'd want -- I saw mention of Avira AntiVir Personal Edition; do you have an opinion on this? I work mostly on my Mac OS side, not in the PC/XP environment, although I'd like some internet access through the PC/XP side and want to feel as assured as possible that I won't pick up bugs/viruses while there.

Again, thank you!

mchlhannah8

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Come to think about it, that's right. In the past when I had my blackberry and traveled to Europe I was on roam and paid the price ($1,200!!!). When getting this card the rep told me that I can turn on the option when needed. Thanks
Phil

noway $1200?? even they charged you on roam, it still seems too much...
sue them!

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Follow Up

No problem, that is what I meant in paragraph one.

I personally have always used and recommended AVG Free. If you google it, and then navigate through the site, they will try to get you to buy the latest version 8. However if you click the links right, you will get to the free edition which should be all you need, no frills.

akita11

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
No problem, that is what I meant in paragraph one.

I personally have always used and recommended AVG Free. If you google it, and then navigate through the site, they will try to get you to buy the latest version 8. However if you click the links right, you will get to the free edition which should be all you need, no frills.

Greetings. I just want to say thanks again. It worked for me to load separate access to the Verizon Wireless network via my network card into XP; I can get online now through the Parallels/XP side of my computer. It's somewhat awkward because I must shutdown my connection via the OS side and re-initiate, going through everything from startup on the PC side. This afternoon my connection did not stay up and running, but maybe that was a weather thing, with the rainstorms I have here. I'll keep at it. Also, I have just installed the AVG Free (8.0) software, so I'm hoping I'm now sufficiently protected!

Couldn't have done this without your help -- which I greatly appreciate! MANY thanks.

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Glad to hear

I am happy to hear I could help out. I never really post on forums, but I just might starting doing so.

MacFloridaKeys

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Card Not Found / Can't Connect

So yesterday I was convinced by a nice AT&T sales person to spend $300.00 on the new GlobeTrotter USB 3G card. I have a MAC Desktop running 10.5.5. and a MacBook running the same. Came home, excited and plugged in the new device. Immediately it placed a "CD" logo on my desktop named "ZeroCD"
After clicking on that one I saw a bunch of ".exe" files. Clearly not for the MAC. I then downloaded the GlobeTrotter Connect software and loaded the application. It came up fine but it states "No Card Found" In addition under Network preferences (Location) when I pull GlobeTrotter Connect, it says Status: Cable Unplugged (The cable for Option 3G Ethernet is not plugged in)
The lights on the device are a steady two blue LED's that are always on (do not blink) I cold OPTION in Belgium and their tech support could not help me. I called AT&T and was on hold for an hour without success. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software again and again without success. Each time I insert the device it pops that ZeroCD logo on my desktop. And when I start the software it does not "find" the card. The same goes for my MacBook. Same thing. Can someone help please?

Thanks

Nick

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Nick with the "New" 3G USB card

Nick,

Why don't you do us a favor and give us some real details. For example, what model is the card you bought?

There are a ton of posts on how to setup the USB 3G card natively in OSX; meaning, NOT using the software at all. You need to spend some time reading, however in the meantime give some details that people can help work on to solve this. Get less emotional and get more technical.

Start by going back through this thread and spend 5 minutes reading. The directions will probably help you out.

akita11

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Option for MacFloridaKeys

Almost 2 years ago when I bought the Verizon Wireless PC card (not for a USB port, which wasn't available at that time), I had my MacBook Pro with me and VW set everything up to begin with. Perhaps you could return to AT&T with your laptop for installation help -- after all, you spent a chunk of money with them.

Good luck.

MacFloridaKeys

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
3GMac - I wonder how much money it would take to spent for you to get emotional. $300 in our family is a great deal of money so pardon me for being a little emotional when AT&T says "just plug it in and it will work" and it doesn't. The device is the AT&T USB Connect Quicksilver. I have spend 4 HOURS! reading.. a little more than 5 minutes. Spent a significant amount of time at the AT&T store with 3 store representatives and followed all instructions. The end results is that the device still doesn't work. AT&T says it's the MacBook. After taking the MacBook to the Apple store and the Genius Bar, they said it's the AT&T device. Perhaps I should be just a little frustrated at this point.

3GMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
3GMac - I wonder how much money it would take to spent for you to get emotional. $300 in our family is a great deal of money so pardon me for being a little emotional when AT&T says "just plug it in and it will work" and it doesn't. The device is the AT&T USB Connect Quicksilver. I have spend 4 HOURS! reading.. a little more than 5 minutes. Spent a significant amount of time at the AT&T store with 3 store representatives and followed all instructions. The end results is that the device still doesn't work. AT&T says it's the MacBook. After taking the MacBook to the Apple store and the Genius Bar, they said it's the AT&T device. Perhaps I should be just a little frustrated at this point.

Nick,

Why don't you cry about it? Who is getting emotional? I'm getting technical. You are just like all the other suck users out there. Throw your hands up in the air and give up. And just hope that if you post on a forum that someone will answer and fix it for you.

I asked you to give some actual information and details so that anyone on this forum could help you. You are the one getting emotional and "hurt" because you spent $300 bucks. Get over it. Return the card if you are that "hurt".

I don't get emotional about technology, I'm a professional. I spent weeks figuring out this issue and am one of the ONLY people who have actually figured out why the 3G, USB and Express Cards work differently.

Come back and let me know how "emotional" you get when you have to support 20+ users' with this card.

woodhousem

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
I started to chime on yesterday upon seeing your message MacFloridaKeys but decided not to as I couldn't really address your problem given that I do not have the USB Card you are having problems with and I have the Intel MacBook Pro. I also wanted to deflate what I saw as a forum storm brewing between you and 3GMAC but I guess I'm too late in that regard!

I would hope that we can get past hurt feelings, name calling and the like and actually deal with the issues that bring us together on this forum - helping one another out! C'mon, I could see if we were PC users but we're MAC people and have a higher calling!:apple:

I actually came upon this forum in response to a post by someone having problems with their aircard. Working in NORAD and USNORTHCOM enables me to work with plenty of IT solutions and I currently have five different aircards - having used them for about six years now. So, with the exception of 3GMAC giving me some pointers about how to get one of my cards to work natively with my MAC (thanks once again), after I upgraded to Leopard, I am pretty experienced with using all three types that he mentioned and have had no problems.

I would take the advice of akita11 and get with AT&T on getting your card setup to use on your MAC and barring there being no problems with the setup and network prefereces configuartion, actually look at the possibility that you may have a faulty card (I did have a bad GT Ultra Express card that I had to swap out with our AT&T rep). In the "duh" category, when I first used the USB Connect 881 card, when I plugged it in I saw lights but I had neglected to put in the battery to the unit, which was small and hiding behind the setup docs. I'm sure if you are persistent with AT&T, you can get the assistance you need.

As for getting emotional - I understand where you're coming from - but also understand 3GMAC's position as he reminds me of a friend of mine, who I met when we were working on our MBAs. He was a BLUF (bottom line up front) no-nonsense "just give me the facts Ma'am" kind of guy, which could come off as being kind of abrasive at times but he kept our group on track and our good grades reflected that. I would just ask that on both your parts that we put our "emotions" on the back burner and start afresh.

3GMAC - I can top your pain - try dealing with 16 attorneys (two of them Canadian) - median age 54 - whose idea of IT is an electric typewriter! I just finished giving a tutorial to my new SJA on how to use her aircard and the difference between it and the built in Wi-Fi she has on her laptop and then on to how to connect to the VPN to access the LAN from her home - it wasn't pretty!

BTW MacFloridaKeys- I checked on some websites and you did pay a hefty fee for that aircard as the plans I saw were very affordable with the aircard itself being free, if you took the 2-year, $60 a month data plan.

Again, good luck on finding a solution and I hope my attempt at mediation (can't help myself - I've been in the legal system too long) is successful :D

lightscalar

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Similar problems with GlobeTrotter Connect

Hi,

I have a 17" MacBook Pro with 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo and 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM running OS 10.5.5.

I have the new USBConnect Quicksilver 3G wireless modem from AT&T. I have downloaded and installed the appropriate GlobeTrotter Connect software from the option.com website. However, when I insert the modem into my Mac's USB port, it is not recognized by the software. The GlobeTrotter Connect simply reports, "No card found." The card itself is showing a solid blue light.

The card does function as I have tested it on a PC I have available. On Windows XP everything works fine. I contacted AT&T and they sent me to Option and Option sent me back to AT&T. And so now I am here. Any ideas? Thanks.

woodhousem

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
"No Card Found" When Using Quicksilver Modem on Mac

Hey Lightscalar, you have my Mac! Seriously, you are the 2d person who has come on the forum with problems using the Quicksilver modem. I have to believe that there is a bug that is preventing the modem to work properly with the GLobetrotter Connect software. There is some ambiguity in reference to Mac drivers as some sites say that the drivers are pre-loaded while others say that there are downloadable drivers available for Mac users (I couldn't find any). :confused:

What I would do is go to the AT&T Support site and actually enter their Data Tech Support Chat. I have used it in the past (they require your name, e-mail address and wireless number) with success. At the least, you can make them aware that this problem is not isolated.

Woody

MacFloridaKeys

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
USB QuickSilver

Here's what I got back from support. It worked for me. Apparently I had downloaded the wrong software for my MacBook

From the information you provided, it appears the incorrect software may have been downloaded & installed.

Please, try the following:
1. Eject the Option Quicksilver USB modem
2. Clean uninstall the current software, via the Uninstaller
3. Reboot the Mac
4. Re-Install GT Connect software (Please, do not connect yet)

- http://support.option.com/att/index... USBConnect Quicksilver&action=module20/index
- Version: 1.3d0-282.25532. Release date: 03 October 2008
- This version is only for Mac OS X 10.3.9, 10.4.11 AND 10.5.

5. Reboot, again
6. Insert your Option card
7. Wait 10-20 seconds
8. Open the GT Connect software
9. Try to connect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.