Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
So, how long until we get a VoiceTime? As in FaceTime but without the video, meaning voice over data. Any predictions?

When the carriers' data networks support Voice over LTE. They don't now, hence the need for two (or one combo chip) cellular radios in LTE phones.

paulornothing

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
DC
I have an iPhone 4s still with my unlimited data plan and when I tried to switch it on it gave me a warning telling me to contact ATT to enable it.

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Not working for me yet, maybe a regular reboot? 2 GB iPhone 4S data plan on AT&T.

Edit: Nope, maybe a hard reboot?

Edit: Nope, maybe a network settings wipe?

Edit: Nope, still failed. Maybe when I get home it'll be activated?

Edit: After resetting the network settings when I initiated a call, I got this message. At least no more "change your plan message".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I've said it on the forums before, but I don't understand why AT&T would block facetime in the first place.
I understand data consumption issues, but the company still stands to make good money on people who go over their data or who upgrade their plans.
Everyone knows they pay in relation to data consumed and will tailor their use accordingly; with the exception of "unlimited" users (like me) - who stand to be throttled.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This is good news to hear from AT&T finally! Although it's not working [yet] for me in Michigan on my iPhone 4S. I've restarted it and all I get is a message about not having a network connection, when I clearly do. But it's better than the message that tried to get me to change my data plan in order to use it.

attft.PNG

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I tried to Facetime with my staff yesterday. One of them has an iPhone 5 on AT&T in Dallas and is on a tiered plan, it did not work. I was on my 4S on wifi on VZW. It was a shame that it didn't work because it is truly the first time I've ever truly felt like I missed something because of AT&T's silly ass restriction.

i84CTBound

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
CT
Unlimited Plan- Iphone 5 FaceTime over cellular works flawless. Connecticut, just restart iphone 5 and magic. Glad to see AT&T came around.

Sent with IPhone 5 AT&T

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
iPhone 5 w/ 2GB Data Plan in Northern Virginia.
Not working yet.. Tried to turn off and turn on the phone. Still no luck. Wants me to call AT&T.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
This is good news to hear from AT&T finally! Although it's not working [yet] for me in Michigan on my iPhone 4S. I've restarted it and all I get is a message about not having a network connection, when I clearly do. But it's better than the message that tried to get me to change my data plan in order to use it.

Same here. Grand Rapids MI on a 2gb plan, not working.

Hopefully it works soon. I would hate to upgrade to the shared data plan. In order for my two phones to get the same amount of data on a shared plan my bill would go up 380$ a year

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Still not working for me either. I'm in Puerto Rico (not a state, but At&t services here are like in the mainland). I have an iPhone 4GS with unlimited

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I've tried turning off and on as well as a hard reset. Each time it does indeed work, I go to settings it shows FaceTime over cellular on. After a short period however I go back to settings and its back off again. I actually kept settings opened and watched it, once reset it was on and then after being connected for a short period switched back to off.

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
I had a little hope, after a reboot of my phone, went to Facetime settings and the Use Cellular Data was "ON"...waited a few seconds and it majically switched to "OFF" all by itself. So, No Go here in Niagara Falls, NY.

santanamac

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It worked!

iPhone 5 and no LTE in my area. SoCal - San Fernando Valley

Did a soft reset first and nothing happened. did an old fashioned restart and BAM! its on.

Granfathered Unlimited Plan on AT&T

EDIT: it switched off again, and wont work now.

Last edited:

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
I had a little hope, after a reboot of my phone, went to Facetime settings and the Use Cellular Data was "ON"...waited a few seconds and it majically switched to "OFF" all by itself. So, No Go here in Niagara Falls, NY.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. After a reboot I was excited to see the switch set to "On", but then, as I was looking at it, it turned itself off. Oh well. Suburban Philly here.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Exactly the same thing happened to me. After a reboot I was excited to see the switch set to "On", but then, as I was looking at it, it turned itself off. Oh well. Suburban Philly here.

The On/Off issue has to do with the lack of cellular network access when the phone first turns on. Once the phone switches from "Searching" or "No Service" to the signal strength bars, it switches from On back to Off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.