Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Honestly I kind of LIKE having this broken out so I have the chance to not pay for it.

The fact that Verizon now makes you pay for unlimited voice and texts no matter what you want makes them a non-starter for me. I kind of like the idea of a carrier that lets me not pay for certain things. (And this certainly is one of those things that I wouldn't pay for.)

The point is you're already paying for it if you have ANY data plan. They are just using this as an excuse (like the hotspot and tethering) to charge you more money based on HOW you use your data. This is pure robbery plain and simple and I wish the FCC would crack down on this crap. I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T, but with the rollout of LTE with Verizon being WAY ahead of AT&T, I will be switching. I've had enough of AT&T's BS.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Yeah! The government should step in and tell private companies what to do. Vote with your dollars. That's how capitalism works. We seem to expect Uncle Sam to ride in on a white horse and save us every time we are inconvenienced, not realizing that every time it happens, we are a little less free than before. The government needn't do anything. If you're unsatisfied with how AT&T chooses to run their business, send your $ elsewhere. If you've signed a 2 year contract to get a free phone, you weren't compelled to. You signed it of your own volition and you either need to pay the fee or suck it up.

So what's the problem? They love to intervene, so if they are going to do it sooner or later, why not do it sooner?
I'm not in favor or against the government, but if they love to regulate certain business behaviors and practices, let them do their job!

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Not sure why everyone is so up in arms about Facetime.. Just use Skype, it offers many advantages over FaceTime:

- cross-platform (iOS, OS X, PCs, Android, Windows Phone 8)
- integrates with PSTN, so can truly replace cell voice plans
- works over WiFi, 3G, 4G with no carrier surcharges
- integrated voice, video, IM in a single app
- adaptive codecs, will adjust to network bandwidth
- huge user base

If they can sense when you are using FaceTime, they can sense when you are using Skype and could charge you the same fees or block it. Just sayin'...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
C'Mon like this would be a surprise by any of the Wireless carriers?

AT&T and Verizon I can see doing this, I figure just to keep the slight edge out there Sprint will let this one go, since they need to grab more iPhone customers.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
FaceTime and Tethering - to me are to different beasts. One is basically an App like skype and tango which lets you chat with video (and audio).

Tethering allows one more more devices (not under contract) to use the same data plan that is tied to a device.

We can argue all day whether or not it's fair - but I think it's also fair to see how FT and tethering are different categories...

It's their network. I'm only with them because I was lucky enough to have signed up an iPad under unlimited during the 3 or so weeks they offered it (one of the few early-adopter advantages) and let me carry that over to LTE.

The kicker is even though I have unlimited LTE and live in a major LTE market (Los Angeles) I have no LTE service - since AT&T only covers the L.A. metropolitan area.

I understand your point about tethering, but that would be roughly the same as letting someone borrow your wireless phone to make a voice call - or putting it on speaker so several people can talk at once.

I think everyone here agrees that bits are just bits and this is both a money grab and an effort by AT&T to stifle a new feature to protect their bandwidth.

Which brings up this idea:
Perhaps AT&T is having upstream data congestion? This would explain a lot too. Most of the devices on their network would be client-type devices that use a lot of downstream data but send small amounts upstream. Perhaps they are having issues with the upstream traffic?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
see, this is where verizon actually made a smart move. By preceeding iOS6 with their plan changes and being the first movers, they stuck their necks out there to something that all carriers are going to probably go to eventually anyway but at the same time, gave the consumer a well-laid-out path. There's no question on Verizon. you pay $40 per phone and you pay for a data plan to be shared. Period.

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA
Yep and if ATT thinks I'm paying extra they can kiss my ass. I hope to god T-MO gets the iPhone this year. I'll take my 4 iPhone family somewhere else. I have not had any issues with ATT service wise, but this will push me to another carrier.

I have the 3GS and around 4 months after Apple and AT&T officially started to unlock phones it finally sunk it what a ******* I was paying AT&T $100/mo for service when I could get the same service for HALF the price on TMO's $50/mo unlimited talk/text/web plan. So I called AT&T and had the service chick unlock my phone and walked right down to the local TMO store and got service. I didnt have to change numbers and was up and going in minutes. And I saved $50/mo! that is $600 a year!
I lose visual voice mail and 3G data speeds. I got over it REAL fast for half the price.
EFF YOU AT&T!!!! I really suggest others look at TMO as well. Its pure insanity paying verizon and AT&T the prices they are charging us.
INSANE!

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
If they can sense when you are using FaceTime, they can sense when you are using Skype and could charge you the same fees or block it. Just sayin'...

Not really. FaceTime has an OS-level integration. It is Apple's code that checks whether FaceTime call is attempting to connect over cell network, and does subscription enforcement.

iOS Skype has supported unrestricted 3G/4G integration for years. It's not going to change.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Is this how Att reacts now that they don't have any exclusivity with Apple? You know what? Apple should sell the iPhone themselves and we decide which company put on them!

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Data is data....i don't get it.

And greed is greed... you get that part?:D

----------

Are you kidding me? Someone pays for 2 GB of data and then will get charged because they want to use the same exact data to make a voice call. F AT&T.

I doubt it will only be AT&T, smart phones are a great technology but at least in the States its going to cost a bundle just to enjoy their fruits. Glad business expense laws are are around. ;)

LoraoTX

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
I only wish that the next iPhone on Verizon would be capable of doing voice+data at hte same time. I'll switch in a heartbeat!

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I'll be switching if that's the case.

I have a verizon iPad 2 and an AT&T iPhone 4S and had a an iPhone 4 before that. When AT&T has cell reception, which is getting better every day (finally), AT&T far out preforms Verizon by a mile on pure 3G. Now 4G and LTE are totally different. But switching over this? Give me a break. Yes, its ridiculous and shameful, but hey, faster speeds are faster speeds, cant argue with that :)

badboi2

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012

This is AT&T's ploy to make more money off of it's consumers that are already paying a very high premium.

----------

The point is you're already paying for it if you have ANY data plan. They are just using this as an excuse (like the hotspot and tethering) to charge you more money based on HOW you use your data. This is pure robbery plain and simple and I wish the FCC would crack down on this crap. I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T, but with the rollout of LTE with Verizon being WAY ahead of AT&T, I will be switching. I've had enough of AT&T's BS.

I completely agree with you! I'm done with AT&T, if they put this into effect they'll be able to count me out. I've been with AT&T for over ten years & this really upsets me. It's definitely enough for me to purchase go with Verizon's service. It's sad that NO other company does all of this except for AT&T.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Despite the popular myth that Jobs changed some major way that phone makers interact with carriers (no carrier logo or preloaded apps? big whoop)... <snip>

Another brilliant post from you as ever kdarling. :) I didn't even know or think about the stuff you wrote there.

Thank you.

kdarling

macrumors P6

This reminds me of how Khan only thought in two dimensions while chasing the Enterprise in that nebula, while Kirk was navigating in three.

Yes, data is data... but the amount used per instant time period is the limiting factor, not the total over a long period.

Consider an un-upgraded cell site with 10Mbps backhaul. If 100 users are connected and they're all surfing the web or doing email, with each randomly using an average of 1Mb every ten seconds, the backhaul can handle it. If there's a slight glitch, the user doesn't notice it.

Now consider if 10 of those users are doing video streaming at 1Mbps. Oops. They require the entire backhaul capability, leaving the other 90 people with nothing.

It's as if you were allowed 1,000 gals of water a month. Using that allocation slowly over the entire month... such as taking a bath every day... doesn't harm anyone else's random access to the shared water main. Opening several fire hydraunts will.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Didn't I say this earlier? Maybe not as eloquently though ;)

This reminds me of how Khan only thought in two dimensions while chasing the Enterprise in that nebula, while Kirk was navigating in three.

Yes, data is data... but the amount used per instant time period is the limiting factor, not the total over a long period.

Consider an un-upgraded cell site with 10Mbps backhaul. If 100 users are connected and they're all surfing the web or doing email, with each randomly using an average of 1Mb every ten seconds, the backhaul can handle it. If there's a slight glitch, the user doesn't notice it.

Now consider if 10 of those users are doing video streaming at 1Mbps. Oops. They require the entire backhaul capability, leaving the other 90 people with nothing.

It's as if you were allowed 1,000 gals of water a month. Using that allocation slowly over the entire month... such as taking a bath every day... doesn't harm anyone else's random access to the shared water main. Opening several fire hydraunts will.

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City
Yep and if ATT thinks I'm paying extra they can kiss my ass. I hope to god T-MO gets the iPhone this year. I'll take my 4 iPhone family somewhere else. I have not had any issues with ATT service wise, but this will push me to another carrier.
Well Said, Never have Issues With ATT Service Me Either But If They Go That Way I'm Done With Att!

ebernet

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Seattle, WA
Can anyone confirm this happens with TIERED plans?

So I just read through 13 freakin' pages of comments and I still don't know if anyone with a capped plan got this message, or just people with unlimited data…
While I don't really like it, I can totally understand AT&T not wanting people with unlimited plans to use this (would help if we had an average data usage profile of how much data an hour of FaceTime takes, someone seemed to indicate 1 GB would give you 650 minutes of FaceTime, which seems way small and if so it should not even be restricted for people on unlimited plans).
If they are doing it to people who pay by the GB, then this is lame.

I think carriers have got to get over the idea that they provide "services" and realize that the day the iPhone came out, they became nothing more than ISPs, and get their heads wrapped around that idea sooner then later.

AppleZilla

Suspended
Jul 23, 2010
Ball's in your corner, Verizon. iPhone 5 is coming.

Additionally, if I leave AT&T, I'm going to go crazy with my 'unlimited' data plan, get throttled, and take them to small claims court.

Last edited:

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

There are many other apps that are bursty and network-intensive. Video streaming apps, interactive games, any 3rd party communication apps (Skype, Fring, IM+,...). The data burstiness averages out across hundreds and thousands of users.

There is nothing unique about FaceTime that justifies an uplift charge.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011

You're a smart guy but you're first statement is BS. Netflix has been the main killer of any network including cellular. Facetime would be a blip on the radar since it only works with other Apple devices. It's not as if Google or MS has blocked Skype or Google Talk because of this.

AT&T has been going around asking for a handout from devs since Verizon and Google killed net neutrality over cellular. Do you really think that these things have to do with carriers just maintaining their current profits?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.