Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas John

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Make no sense

Why we need icon if you see exactly the screen? Height is too small to do this type of navigation and buttons background is used in another context.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Nothing could be worse than what it has right now. Atleast put a swipe gesture to close apps instead of the horrible small x.

Reverse Sorrow

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Why

Apple takes do long to make something like this, hell Android have been having this and multitasking almost from the go, get your **** together Apple!

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
how come that Apple owns a fortune and is not capable of providing features developed by just some randoms guys or small companies ???

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
At first, I wasn't impressed. So I can see a preview of the window I'm about to switch to? Great, but honestly, I don't really care. And I can swipe down to close an app or close two apps at once? Cool, but I've never thought the current system to be hugely inconvenient. Ways around issues which I never thought were there from the start.

...then I saw the toggles and the redesigned music player and, minus the unnecessary enlarged album artwork feature (why are people so crazy about their album art anyway? Never made much sense to me...) and fell in love. That's something that's not just pretty, but actually functional. I'm not gonna say it's a great idea since so many people have wanted it from the start and not got it, but it's really nicely implemented and genuinely useful. Really want this. However, depending on price, it might fall short to SBSettings. We'll see!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I would nearly consider jailbreaking just for this. Nearly.

Ha. Exactly.
The only jb to date that has made me think the same.

Lots of good stuff here but I love the quick access to bluetooth, wifi & other settings. I've long said they should take a page from OSX and implement an Energy Saver setting. There are several times (read: daily) that I would love to quickly toggle between custom energy settings. From all radios ablaze, to a battery conserving setting. And several in between. That and I'd really like to see Apple re-imagine the iOS UI so that it better compliments their incredible hardware design. While powerful, iOS has grown quite stale.

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
This is why being open would be cool.

Yeah, open it up so you get your "coolness" but also have to deal with bugs and instability as one gets with the Android experience. You want it cool or do you want it to work? You can't get both.

----------

Ha. Exactly.
The only jb to date that has made me think the same.

I'd like nothing more than to see Apple re-imagine the iOS UI so that it better compliments their incredible hardware design. While powerful, iOS has grown quite stale.

But it WORKS, so what difference does it make changing it just for the sake of so it can look "prettier". Do you use it or do you play with it? You're choosing senseless form over function.

----------

how come that Apple owns a fortune and is not capable of providing features developed by just some randoms guys or small companies ???

Those same guys from small companies don't make hardware or service millions of customer's nitpicking needs either.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yeah, open it up so you get your "coolness" but also have to deal with bugs and instability as one gets with the Android experience. You want it cool or do you want it to work? You can't get both.

----------

But it WORKS, so what difference does it make changing it just for the sake of so it can look "prettier". Do you use it or do you play with it? You're choosing senseless form over function.

I vote open. There's much more than themes available. We aren't talking about iMacs here, that is form over function.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

Umm, you can absolutely have both. Focus 1st on function. Check. Now focus on polish. And that's where I feel Apple's iOS sits: rock solid and ready for visual refinement.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy

I want it to work with the option to be cool.
If Apple provided a 1st party "jailbreak" with some kind of criteria (only developer accounts, perhaps), 90% of the iPhone users would never bother, but the remaining 10% would enjoy a tinkerable OS, by assuming for themselves all the risks. Heck, it would be an excellent method of selling more developer subscriptions.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

Apple is not interested in radically changing their iPhone software or hardware. In hardware the best you can hope for is a spec bump and a .5 inch bigger screen and in software ... you get maps(?).

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I still don't get what is so great about clearing the list of recently used apps. Do you guys do that on your Mac as well?

None of the apps in the app switcher is running unless
- they play audio which is at most one app at any given time
- it is a VoIP app listening for incoming calls
- a navigation app giving directions
- or they were exited only a few minutes ago and finish a task

The only time there is a need to remove an app from the switcher is when you want to restart an app that is misbehaving. Unless of course, you like to micro-manage inactive memory (which is the equivalent of running the purge command on Macs).

certain apps do drain battery even in background. words with friends and Facebook do.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
random guys and small companies have the need of showing their skills to improve their "status", i.e visibility and luckily a heavier wallet. Apple keeps features in the drawer to maintain status unaltered (and a full wallet too)

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
When those were implemented in Android first, Apple followed those ideas and implemented in iOS to stay competitive. Last time I checked Apple didn't invent the smartphone, tablet, concept of app store either, it just made them better.

Also...

Google Docs > iWork
Googe Now > Siri
Google Music > iTunes Match

Notification Center sucked when it was implemented from Android. Apple could have at least made it better or updated but they haven't touched it in 2 years.

I haven't used google music... what exactly makes it better than iTunes match? As for Google Docs, seriously? iWork makes Google Docs seem like an elememtary school project. As for Siri, the outages are annoying, but I find its on command approach more useful than Google now. They both have a ways to go though before people start depending on them.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
It is ok, looks nice, but doesn't really add much to what is there already.

What I have never understood is you have all this screen space, and you can't use the app when you are in this mode, so why not use more of the screen.

What I would like to see is the settings stacked on top of the app selection window. So in 1 double press, you could adjust say brightness, play pause etc, or select the app you want.

Also, not so much of a problem for the iphone, but when you hold an iPad in landscape and double hit the home button, the 'open apps selection' appear at the bottom of the screen.
Given that you have just hit the home button with your thumb, it makes sense to have the available app choices right next to wear you have just pressed. Otherwise you then have to move your hand from the home button to the bottom of the screen, then choose an app, then go back to holding the side of the ipad.
(it seems for me when I hit the home button, I quickly go back to holding the ipad with 2 hands while I double tap the home button, I guess to steady it while you double press the button.)
I might be nitpicking here, but to me that would be much more natural.

M

Mr.damien

Leave it to the jailbreak community to make the iOS experience better, while apple sits on their 100 billion cash doing nothing yet still calling iOS 'the most advanced mobile OS'. Sad world.

I think that is TC fired Forstall, they have some idea behind and they already now that iOS needs more.

I am optimistic for now :)

BTW, I think that those guys should patent their stuff so Apple can't steal hit and they will be obliged to reward them.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I haven't used google music... what exactly makes it better than iTunes match? As for Google Docs, seriously? iWork makes Google Docs seem like an elememtary school project. As for Siri, the outages are annoying, but I find its on command approach more useful than Google now. They both have a ways to go though before people start depending on them.

This has been discussed thoroughly in previous pages so I'm not going to repeat what I said again but...

Google Music matches songs exactly and just as good as iTunes Match but does it for free compared to $25 annual payment for iTunes Match. A 20,000 limit for free compared to a 25,000 song limit for iTunes Match. Pretty good for free.

Google Docs allows for multiple users to edit and work on documents and the same time. In addition its free which is great for everyone. Even my friends who own Macs use it. It might look less pretty but it works great.

Google Now is constantly updated with new features while it takes Siri 1 year to add 3-4 features. Google Now was just updated to be able to tag music like what Shazam can do. Plus it can accomplish more things than Siri. Both have about the same reliability, but Google Now can do more.

Noojin

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Coming from a Ice cream sandwich android user, this isn't as innovative as everyone makes it to be. Android has this concept already. Its a great concept for Apple to use. I wish I can jailbreak my iPhone 4s though with 6.0.1 for this feature.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I think that is TC fired Forstall, they have some idea behind and they already now that iOS needs more.

I am optimistic for now :)

BTW, I think that those guys should patent their stuff so Apple can't steal hit and they will be obliged to reward them.

Apple should buy it from them. Make it rock solid and add it to iOS 6.1.
Why can't Apple just do that? Buy the best add-ons of the jail brake world, tweak them so they are 100% compatible and stable and add them to official OS releases. That would prevent people from jailbreaking.
We do it because we want more features. Features that take too long from Apple and others like Android release weekly. Remember how long it took for Copy and Paste? Come on! :cool:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Umm, you can absolutely have both. Focus 1st on function. Check. Now focus on polish. And that's where I feel Apple's iOS sits: rock solid and ready for visual refinement.

I didn't necessarily mean we CAN'T have both, currently both aren't offered. Apple offers the stable system in a controlled environment but they aren't open like Android. Google offers an open environment but it's completely out of control and the experience sucks. Could Apple's system use an upgrade on UI refinements? Perhaps, but that would also constitute a change on the Mac which many Mac fans I've read about don't necessarily want change for the sake of. At the end of the day once I launch the app I'm using, the "polish" of the UI is unnecessary. iOS and the Mac OS look very nice, very well designed and the systems are stable.
When people say that iOS has gotten boring, it's because it's WORKING and that leaves people to focus on pretty. I'd prefer a stable system than a fancy opened mess that's left over after the Ice Cream Sandwich melts. ;)

----------

I vote open. There's much more than themes available. We aren't talking about iMacs here, that is form over function.

Of course you vote open. This from a Windows guy. Not surprising. iMac is certainly not form over function. Nothing on the market in that category compares. Again, that type of comment is typical from a Windows user. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.