Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tabby

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I just hope the adapters are available in black sometime soon. I don't want a white one! My docking speaker and iPhone are both black.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
There's a thread in the iPhone sections that shows that Apple is including one adapter w/ purchase of the iPhone 5 to folks outside the United States. I didn't see this when I purchased earlier this morning, but I used the iOS app.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15668307/

It turns out to be false.

30-pin-B.jpg

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
There is also a 19€ micro USB to Lightning adapter to comply with EU regulations. Hope they include one by default.

apple_lightning_microusb_adapter-580x385.jpg

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Should be including these for free...especially the adapter. Why can't they just be nice to their customers once a while.

I read an estimate that these things alone will fetch Apple north of $100m in profit.

They do take care of their customers. They have always resolved every issue I've had including several computer and an iPad replacements.

Apple is a bad guy making some more money, aren't they?

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
It's a rip off, absurdly expensive, a spit on the the face of a long time apple customer, yadyadayada!!!!

And yes you will buy it...

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Flip that's the first I saw on pricing for those adapters. So for my 2 cars, my iHome, I'm going to spend about $150 on adapters. Come on eBay, don't let me down by not making these for cheaper!

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I guess I'm just different from a lot of people here. I'm not bent out of shape about this. I'm cool with a new connector, didn't expect the adaptor to ship with the phone, fine with needing a new USB cable (although planning to just buy at the store if possible), and I might get an adaptor later on, when they are cheaper.

Monkey Butler

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
I, for one, wouldn't need one. And I can imagine there are many, many more like myself.

Never plugged your iPhone into a speaker dock? Or a car FM transmitter?

I'm sure there'll be $2 Chinese knock-off adapters available on eBay day one, but that doesn't stop it being a slap in the face from Apple.

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Why the hell isn't the micro USB adapter not available in the US? I could use that to make a decent 10-15ft charge cable, something Apple just can't seem to ever make. Sure hope, clone cables can be produced, and soon!

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
It's insulting how much they are charging for these things. I wish one of the tear down sites would see what the actual cost is to make these, I bet it's very little.

The tear down sites give you the component cost. Let's not forget engineering and manufacturing. Not saying that to defend the price, just to make sure people consider all the elements that go into a selling price.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
These adapters aware on the "October" shipping as soon as they launched Wednesday. I ordered Wednesday and it said "october" then.

This article is incorrect.

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
These cables have a chip in them somewhere to convert your wonderful new digital signal (that the new iphone you so desperatly need has) back to analogue. People read up on **** before you are quick to judge. And just because apple has money why should you get one for free. If you can afford a phone you don't need then you can afford a connector for the phone you don't really need.

Djcj14

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
What about car charging?

Ok so you know how there are the car chargers for iphone from att and verizon with the stretchy cord and the 30 pin with the 12volt plug for the car. Will there be any of these available from the carriers at the retail stores on the 21st or will we have to buy the extra lighting to usb cables and then by a 12 volt wiith usb port to plug into???

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Its their job to do that for those who have warranty.

Yes, but they are much more willing to fix situations and even go to the point of just replacing instead of doing trouble shooting first.

It's ok to like making money. I can tell you have a problem with that.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
The shipping estimate was 2~3 weeks when I ordered at 12:09 PST. Must have been all the ipod users that bought them. When I checked earlier in the day - the lightning cable was available to ship immediately.

Should have ordered it then....

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
This just shows how easy it is for Apple to make money, even at ridiculous prices. They are very, very clever.

If you consider what it costs to make these versus the price charged I can only imagine how much money they are making on these adapters. It's a good time to be a shareholder.

vesper967

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Meh.

It sucks that these are so expensive especially for those that have tons of accessories. Guess I am lucky that I am coming from android that I have to replace my accessories anyway and will just wait for new docks and such to be made that wont need these adapters. Plus I still have my iTouch that works fine in my car. :)

slesherinyork

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Same Here... Grabed Two on the 12th

The adapter said October since the 12th, the cable were shipping in 1-3 days. A snagged 2 of the cables on the 12th.

Couldn't agree more... saw this coming and ordered two as well on the 12th and now they are preparing for shipment... guess I could stare at it for a few days until the 21st!:D

okachobi

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Its kind of misleading to say the lightning usb cable has slipped to 2-3 weeks...I placed my order at 4:18 AM EDT and it was at 2-3 weeks then. :rolleyes:

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I thought Apple included a 30-pin adapter with the iPhone 5, but apparently not. It does come with a Lightning cable. And a USB ported charger.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yes, but they are much more willing to fix situations and even go to the point of just replacing instead of doing trouble shooting first.

It's ok to like making money. I can tell you have a problem with that.

I don't. Money making is good. I just don't like that they're charging £25 for something that cost them a fraction of that to make. There's making money and there's outright shake down.

Last edited:

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Wasn't there supposed to be a 3 pack adapter package?

I think Apple should have a launch sale or throw an adapter in with a new purchase just to keep us long-time users happy. No need to stir up the hornets nest. I'm sure there is a congressman just itching to hold an inquiry meeting over this to gain a few votes

It will be an annoying couple of weeks until Monoprice can obtain the knock-offs from China. Hopefully they already have the plans since everything else was leaked.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
One thing I haven't seen discussed is how flimsy are these things going to be when plugged into a speaker docking station? I'm interested in an iPod Touch, but it seems like it wouldn't dock well and be sturdy without anything other then the adapter holding it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.