Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Flip that's the first I saw on pricing for those adapters. So for my 2 cars, my iHome, I'm going to spend about $150 on adapters. Come on eBay, don't let me down by not making these for cheaper!

I am wondering about the iHome.m I guess you can use the cable adapter,

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
i love how they noticed iphone cables slipping but not the imacs.. that goes to tell you what they really care about in all these rumor sites.

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Apple, I love you and I always have and I'll buy the damn phone and enjoy it, but these things should be sold at cost.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Apple includes a 30-pin adapter with the iPhone 5. And a Lightning cable. And likely a USB ported charger. Check Apple.com.

Just taken from Apple.com:

In the Box:
- iPhone 5
- Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
- Lightning to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter
- Documentation

So which one of these is the 30-pin adapter? ;)

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
The old connector had analog audio, but the new connector is all digital. So this adapter has to have a DAC.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm sure when its released, Apple will make a statement that every iPhone 5 customer will get a free adapter or credit from a previous purchase until Dec 31, 2012.

They did it with the stupid cases for the iPhone, they'll do it again I'm sure.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I am definitely a bit purturbed at the price, but I guess I kind of understand it. Apparently Apple has confirmed to other sites that it is an active adapter that contains hardware to convert the digital to analog signals. Hence their description of it as "an intelligent adapter." Luckily I only had to get one. My wife uses her Bose sound dock all the time so I had to get one for that. Other than that she can just remember to take the USB cable anywhere she might need it until I can get a few 3rd party cables for cheap.

And MacRumors, get your story straight. As others have pointed out , the adapters have always quoted October for shipping.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Saw this happening so ordered a couple USB cables immediately on Wednesday. Cables/adapters could end up being like the camera connector kit.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
They do take care of their customers. They have always resolved every issue I've had including several computer and an iPad replacements.

Apple is a bad guy making some more money, aren't they?

wow, what a good company taking care of stuff under warranty.

these adapters are an absolute ripoff

koolaid...keep drinking it

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
There have been stories on the iMac slipping for over a week...

what rumor site has said that, show me becuase ive follow all the rumors site , NO read this well NO rumor site has said that the imacs shippind dates are slipping where youre getting this info from

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I am definitely a bit purturbed at the price, but I guess I kind of understand it. Apparently Apple has confirmed to other sites that it is an active adapter that contains hardware to convert the digital to analog signals. Hence their description of it as "an intelligent adapter." Luckily I only had to get one. My wife uses her Bose sound dock all the time so I had to get one for that. Other than that she can just remember to take the USB cable anywhere she might need it until I can get a few 3rd party cables for cheap.

And MacRumors, get your story straight. As others have pointed out , the adapters have always quoted October for shipping.

If DAC is required I wouldn't deny, but would Apple please make one more adapter which is coated in black at least to match with the new Black iPhone? Also, most sound docks are in black too, it is horrible to see a white plastic adapter between the dock and the phone.

mattskaj

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Champaign, IL.
Why buy an adapter?

Why would anyone pay $29 to buy an adapter to use an existing 30 pin to USB cable when you can buy an entirely new lighting to USB cable for $19?

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Never plugged your iPhone into a speaker dock? Or a car FM transmitter?

I'm sure there'll be $2 Chinese knock-off adapters available on eBay day one, but that doesn't stop it being a slap in the face from Apple.

To answer your questions, nope and nope.

Slap in the face? I can't imagine very many companies would include an adapter in this circumstance. It's $29. Not $299.

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A
Why would anyone pay $29 to buy an adapter to use an existing 30 pin to USB cable when you can buy an entirely new lighting to USB cable for $19?

Exactly. If people would stop and think (just a little bit) one would realize that they wouldn't need to spend $29 for the adapter when the USB cable for $19 will do the same thing. Apple was clever in up-selling the adapter during the keynote instead of/over the USB cable because it simply = more $$.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.