Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
i got the newest otterbox defender for the new ipad. I HATE the sreen protector. even worse, the screen protector is now glued to the front cover, so I can not replace it with something else. I ill be calling otterbox on monday.

You can just pop it out. That's what I did with the defenders on our iPhone 4S. Then I just put a power support screen shield underneath it.

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I was glad to come up on this thread because this is something I've been struggling with myself.

I installed and enjoyed an antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 for the past few months. I was (and am) quite nervous about putting one on my new iPad due to its high-resolution retina display but I have grown accustomed to how much I enjoy the reduction in glare and fingerprints that I experienced when using my iPad 2 with an anti-glare protector.

Has anyone purchased and installed an antiglare screen protector and compared their new iPad with a naked new iPad to see exactly how much a difference in resolution it makes.

I know when I installed my antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 I initially thought it made very little difference and it wasn't until I had a chance to compare my iPad 2 with the anti-glare screen protector to my friends iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed of fairly substantial decrease in screen clarity.

Again -- I felt the the trade off was totally worth it but it wasn't until I had the chance to compare my antiglare iPad 2 directly next to his to his iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed the difference..

Anyone installed an iPad three antiglare screen protector and had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison yet?

matrix808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
If it is anything like the iPhone 4 then yes you'll be able to tell the difference with the Anti glare screen shield over the hd screen. Having the anti glare on my iPhone 4 made the screen look exactly like a 3G screen.

I was glad to come up on this thread because this is something I've been struggling with myself.

I installed and enjoyed an antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 for the past few months. I was (and am) quite nervous about putting one on my new iPad due to its high-resolution retina display but I have grown accustomed to how much I enjoy the reduction in glare and fingerprints that I experienced when using my iPad 2 with an anti-glare protector.

Has anyone purchased and installed an antiglare screen protector and compared their new iPad with a naked new iPad to see exactly how much a difference in resolution it makes.

I know when I installed my antiglare screen protector on my iPad 2 I initially thought it made very little difference and it wasn't until I had a chance to compare my iPad 2 with the anti-glare screen protector to my friends iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed of fairly substantial decrease in screen clarity.

Again -- I felt the the trade off was totally worth it but it wasn't until I had the chance to compare my antiglare iPad 2 directly next to his to his iPad 2 with no screen protector that I noticed the difference..

Anyone installed an iPad three antiglare screen protector and had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison yet?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010

It made my £80 ZTE Blade smartphone look like it had a better screen.

Basically, I found it unbearable the second I put it on. It literally felt like the resolution had been reverted back to the iPad 1/2.

Like the poster above, I found the same thing happened on the iPhone 4, but I found that to be a bit more bearable due to the small screen. On the new iPad though, it just looks atrocious.

Due to the nature of the screen, I'd say naked + smart cover is the best option screen protection wise. But then again, if you desperately need the anti glare properties, there isnt really an option.

potumino

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Yep definitely avoid matte or anti glare screen protector. It made my new iPad looking like my iPad 2 :eek:

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I did suspect that a matte screen protector would severely reduce the clarity of the new iPads ultrahigh resolution super crisp retina screen... I guess it was just wishful thinking that had me hoping to find comments and experience otherwise. I guess I will just need to get used to the glare that reflects back to me off my new iPad screen.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I did suspect that a matte screen protector would severely reduce the clarity of the new iPads ultrahigh resolution super crisp retina screen... I guess it was just wishful thinking that had me hoping to find comments and experience otherwise. I guess I will just need to get used to the glare that reflects back to me off my new iPad screen.

DSC03555t.jpg

1024x768 wallpaper on iPad 3 2048x1536 display using a Switcheasy PureAnti-Reflect

My thread about it is at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1343229/

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
not sure for some, but i reuse the power support HD matte from my ipad2 and put on the new iPad....

end up don't like it as it make the screen grainy, thus don't like it and remove it and put back to my ipad2.

brooklyn360

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
So for those who do not want anti glare but want screen protection. Will the invisible shield be good enough. I had it on my ipad 1, it was great, saved the screen from many scratches.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
So for those who do not want anti glare but want screen protection. Will the invisible shield be good enough. I had it on my ipad 1, it was great, saved the screen from many scratches.

I cannot imagine putting an orange-peel film on the new iPad screen. It would completely ruin it, IMO.

lindend

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I cannot imagine putting an orange-peel film on the new iPad screen. It would completely ruin it, IMO.

Supposedly the Invisible Shield HD doesn't have the orange peel issue, feels like glass and doesn't impact (or not perceivable anyway) image quality. Anyone tried the Invisible Shield HD on the iPad 3 yet?

Youtube reviews on Retina iPhone 4's seem to support the marketing claims but I've not seen any comments from someone who installed on the iPad 3.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Supposedly the Invisible Shield HD doesn't have the orange peel issue, feels like glass and doesn't impact (or not perceivable anyway) image quality. Anyone tried the Invisible Shield HD on the iPad 3 yet?

Youtube reviews on Retina iPhone 4's seem to support the marketing claims but I've not seen any comments from someone who installed on the iPad 3.

I am also very interested in the invisible shield HD. Looking forward to hearing more about it...

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
watching this thread with interest... I never had a screen protector with my Ipad2 and it survived just fine. However, with a young daughter, I sometimes cringe at the thought... :)

Would love to hear more feedback!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Power Support Crystal all the way. It is clear with no reduction of clarity and no difference in feeling. I couldn't put a matte anti-glare on any product. Tried it in the past but cannot deal with the reduction in clarity.

maxtheswift

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
That's ok, just quote my post and I'll get the notification. Of pm me if you like. But others may be interested too.

Thanks

Okay I just installed my SGP Ultra Optics and these are just first impressions because I just got it, but overall I think it's a great screen protector, it gives you a nice anti-fingerprint finish that barely interferes with the Retina quality.

That being said, I don't like it as much as the Ultra Optics on my phone, there is something about the way in which it is made that makes it so there are very faint, but noticeable lines across the whole screen. It doesn't visually mess anything up, but it does make it look like there is just a very faint grid of diagonal stripes across the entire screen. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but I can't even get a picture because they're so faint.

I guess it's just a different way of making an anti fingerprint screen and that's what gives it better clarity. So my overall impressions? I think any Anti-fingerprint that diminishes the quality of the retina display is just horrid, why buy this gorgeous device to cover it up with a blurry screen protector? The SGP Ultra Optics gives you the best of both worlds, anti fingerprint but still retains the quality of the Retina display. That being said, the diagonal lines could be distracting for some.

I'll be able to say more once I've used it for a couple days, these are just my initial impressions, but as of now I think I'll keep it, and would recommend it.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Well I didn't upgrade to an iPad 3rd gen only to use one of these anti-glare screen protectors that will reduce the clarity. It just makes no sense in my mind to even do this. I do have a crystal clear screen protector that helps with the finger prints, but doesn't reduce the clarity at all. I don't know where people are using these things that glare is such an issue. Heck I use mine in my car a lot with bright sun and have no glare issues.

Macmar88

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I've had Moshi's iVisor AG installed on my New iPad since the first day. It's great I still get the clarity and crisp resolution, but don't have to worry about ugly fingerprints. It really up to the users I guess.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Okay I just installed my SGP Ultra Optics and these are just first impressions because I just got it, but overall I think it's a great screen protector, it gives you a nice anti-fingerprint finish that barely interferes with the Retina quality.

That being said, I don't like it as much as the Ultra Optics on my phone, there is something about the way in which it is made that makes it so there are very faint, but noticeable lines across the whole screen. It doesn't visually mess anything up, but it does make it look like there is just a very faint grid of diagonal stripes across the entire screen. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but I can't even get a picture because they're so faint.

I guess it's just a different way of making an anti fingerprint screen and that's what gives it better clarity. So my overall impressions? I think any Anti-fingerprint that diminishes the quality of the retina display is just horrid, why buy this gorgeous device to cover it up with a blurry screen protector? The SGP Ultra Optics gives you the best of both worlds, anti fingerprint but still retains the quality of the Retina display. That being said, the diagonal lines could be distracting for some.

I'll be able to say more once I've used it for a couple days, these are just my initial impressions, but as of now I think I'll keep it, and would recommend it.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted as to whether the lines bother you. How does it do with the glare? Anything at all?

----------

Well I didn't upgrade to an iPad 3rd gen only to use one of these anti-glare screen protectors that will reduce the clarity. It just makes no sense in my mind to even do this. I do have a crystal clear screen protector that helps with the finger prints, but doesn't reduce the clarity at all. I don't know where people are using these things that glare is such an issue. Heck I use mine in my car a lot with bright sun and have no glare issues.

For me, I use mine on the patio all the time. Plus for some reason the way my living room is set up and the positioning of my lightning I get a lot of glare just sitting on my sofa. As far as I'm concerned I prefer giving up a bit of clarity for the convience of not twisting and turning and changing my sitting position to avoid the glare. I suppose it just doesn't bother some folks and some of us, it does. Everyone has their own priorities and no one person has the same needs as another. I'm glad we all have a choice and can find solutions that meet our own personal needs.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

I have the Invisible Shield HD on both my iPhone 4S and new iPad, and you can't even tell it's there. The other versions of the Invisible Shield are glaringly obvious, as they make the screens of these devices look pixellated. Here's a photo of my new iPad with the Invisible Shield HD installed.

IMG_1757 by tntoak, on Flickr

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Just a quick update guys. It turns out Mediadevil have a new updated screen protector, that reduces the pixellation/noise effect quite significantly, and is much improved over the original.

Callum, the founder of Mediadevil, got in contact with me after seeing my problem, and kindly offered me the new updated version of the protector as a replacement, free of charge.

Anyone who bought a matte clear screen protector for iPad from Mediadevil in March 2012, simply send off an email to support@phonedevil.com remembering to include your order ID, and they will happily upgrade you to the new material :)

Really is an awesome company to deal with, fantastic customer service, and the new protector works a treat :D

Nipples

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
SGP's Steinheil is still by far my favorite screen protector. Been using them on my iPhones/iPads for years and couldn't recommend them more. They're releasing their iPad version of the Ultra Optics screen protector which is a matte finish yet doesn't detract from the retina display. I have one on my iPhone right now and I love it. Look for some reviews of the iPhone Ultra Optics to get an idea. I pre-ordered an Ultra Optics for my new iPad.

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple...e-wifi-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

I am using sgp screen protectors since my ipad 1. First i started with the cristal clear. Now i am using the ultra optics on my iphone 4 and the anti fingerprint on my ipad 2. I prefer the anti fingerprint and i am going to install it on my new ipad too.

Just my few thoughts

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Just a quick update guys. It turns out Mediadevil have a new updated screen protector, that reduces the pixellation/noise effect quite significantly, and is much improved over the original.

Callum, the founder of Mediadevil, got in contact with me after seeing my problem, and kindly offered me the new updated version of the protector as a replacement, free of charge.

Anyone who bought a matte clear screen protector for iPad from Mediadevil in March 2012, simply send off an email to support@phonedevil.com remembering to include your order ID, and they will happily upgrade you to the new material :)

Really is an awesome company to deal with, fantastic customer service, and the new protector works a treat :D

Sorry, which is the updated Mediadevil protector you are referring to? Are you saying there is an anti-glare Easyscreen protector for the iPad 3 that does not significantly detract from the retina display - because that is what several people on Amazon are complaining about? Have they brought out a new product? Can you give specific details? Thanks.

stabbyt

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Sorry, which is the updated Mediadevil protector you are referring to? Are you saying there is an anti-glare Easyscreen protector for the iPad 3 that does not significantly detract from the retina display - because that is what several people on Amazon are complaining about? Have they brought out a new product? Can you give specific details? Thanks.

I think it's their MediaDevil Magicscreen Matte Clear edition for iPad 2/3 one (the 'normal' protector) that has the new material.

ivada

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
I do not get putting screen protectors on an iPad. Am I missing out on anything here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.