Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
This isn't about the design of the phones. Most of Apples claims have been dismissed. Its about swiping left and right to see the next photo. Which is nothing to do with Samsung.

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
Furthermore, why wasn't this a problem with the iPod? Different companies came up with different competitive designs and had an equal opportunity to compete with Apple's innovative music and media device.

You're absolutely right, nobody copied the click wheel. It was Apple's innovation. Though one could argue there are only so many thing you can do on a device with no buttons... It's absolutely ridiculous that so many devices use the spring board concept, right down to a dock on the bottom that mimics iOS. Find a better way to do it.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I agree with the decision.

The tablets are not copied from the iPad, but phones like the Galaxy S and the Galaxy Ace are insulting to Apple. I would be ashamed to use an Ace in public, because it's so blatantly copied from Apple. The photo scrolling patent may be too little to block shipments of the products, but Samsung got what it deserved IMHO.

Mmm, you have read that trade dress allegations where dismissed?

Apple can ban all Android handsets, Galaxy gallery app is the Android one.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I'm not certain that I understand the objection to protecting one's patents. If you invent something, whether or not everything thinks that it's great and, in hindsight, obvious, why should you not have the opportunity to get credit, income, and rights to your work?

If every invention and concept becomes eminent public domain, what incentive does anyone have to invent anything in a capitalist market economy? If Apple invents an iPad and then everyone hops onboard it's knockoff clone Andriod products and, by doing so, these clone companies devalue the iPad and it's creation, what incentive does Apple have, to pour money into whatever will replace the concept of the iPad? If what you want is an iPad, give your money to Apple who invented it. Not to the companies that have nakedly cloned it.

Furthermore, why wasn't this a problem with the iPod? Different companies came up with different competitive designs and had an equal opportunity to compete with Apple's innovative music and media device.

While there devices that resembled the iPod more closely than others, it would not be credible to claim that anyone copied the iPod as closely as the Galaxy-Andriod tablets infringe on Apple's iPad.

I support Apple's rights to protect their invention and the rewards reaped through their innovation.

Good to see some level headed thinking in here once in a while.

Anyone saying the patent system is a failure to innovation might want to consider the technology advances made in the last 200 years.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Mmm, you have read that trade dress allegations where dismissed?

Apple can ban all Android handsets, Galaxy gallery app is the Android one.

I know, even my Samsung i5500 (not on that list) runs that app, and I used to run the same app on my G1.

This could turn to be scary, but Google only needs to change the gallery application in order to clear the accuses.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic that they're doing this. This is not good at all for the consumers - I actually wanted to buy a Galaxy S2.

This is totally anti-competitive behavior. I love your products Apple, but I'm really starting to hate you as a company.

So copying the designs is competitive?
If you really want a S2, just go and get it. You can hate a company all you want but these are legal and rightful complaints against a company who slavishly copied Apple designs and key technologies.

You must be hating Microsoft now because they asked ITC the other day for a ban on Motorola products. You must be hating every other company them.

Trolls: don't forget to mark this down. :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Should we be concerned by this guy's photo library? If I'm not mistaken, we have a photo of two people strapped to the ground in the first photo, and an oncoming train in the second.

You nearly gave me a coffee / keyboard moment there. Well played.

Massive fan of early B+W silent comedies from Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd etc here.

First we had the Kubrick 2001 clip, now this frame by frame B+W thriller. What next? A patent claim referring to Steamboat Willie?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
May 2011

Court Orders Samsung to Show Apple Unreleased Handsets, Tablets

August 2011

German court bars Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from sale in Europe in Apple suit (even though the court's jurisdiction was in question, the decision was made.)

August 2011

Ban on Sale of Samsung Galaxy Smartphones (this time by a Dutch court) in EU Set for October 13th

Clearly, Samsung needs to adjust their strategy and start taking Apple's patents seriously.

Yes, let's hate Apple because they're acting lawfully. Apple is evil because they're using legal mechanisms available to them (and everyone else) to protect what they see is theirs, and even worse, the courts agree with them. Unconscionable.

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
I'm not certain that I understand the objection to protecting one's patents. If you invent something, whether or not everything thinks that it's great and, in hindsight, obvious, why should you not have the opportunity to get credit, income, and rights to your work?

Because they are too general and now being mass "produced" by large companies for the sole reason to able to sue later.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Next in the news, iphone and ipad shortage due to "production issues" at samsung's chip fabs.

And hence Apple's propensity to write in performance clauses into their contracts. If Samsung say's they are delivering 100,000 units a day at 99% quality, you can bet Apple wrote into the contracts to put all liability on Samsung if they don't (we'll pay you 1Mill up front for 100,000 units [spot market price is 15 per unit quantity 100], you owe us 100,000, if it drops below 99K unuts, and you pay _us_ $15 (on a $10 part, so we can go buy it someplace else.) for every unit less than 99K .

Contracts are less iffy than patents, and in a supply chain, usually pretty fortified with performance penalties

That and they are different divisions; and I'm sure the division head of components wants to make his bonus, and really doesn't care about the division head of consumer electronics.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Wow. I feel bad for people at EU. Why can't Apple just leave Samsung alone? Seriously Samsung makes chips for Apple! Apple get a better company to make your chips cause all your doing is bunch of stupid patents that we don't care about.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
So, there will be no more Galaxy S and the other named Samsung smartphones available then? :eek: That's a huge impact. Many companies here in Germany are advertising the Galaxy S II with their contracts.

I wonder what happens.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/android-still-king-of-the-us-smartphone-hill-motorola-facing-a/

"Google's Android operating system (OS) continued to dominate...accounting for 52 percent of units sold in the second quarter (Q2) of 2011. Like Android, Apple's iPhone OS (iOS) experienced slight quarterly gain rising to 29 percent in Q2"

Same sort of scenario in Europe. I guess Apple think if they can't beat them, try and physically stop them...?

I like how you think Apple isn't winning. :) They have the most profit, the most revenues, the highest customer satisfaction, the most developers, the most apps, the highest margins, and the highest smartphone market share.

But they don't have the highest smartphone OS share, so they must be desperate. :rolleyes:

(With a one year old model that has a widely publicized antenna issue and a two year old model.)

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Come on.. Wtf is going on here. Anyone know if this applies to Norway? I searched NO and Norway on that page and it isn't there. That means it will continue to sell here right?

Norway is not part of the EU, but have some far-reaching agreements so its hard to say. My instincts say Norway is in the clear.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I like how you think Apple isn't winning. :) They have the most profit, the most revenues, the highest customer satisfaction, the most developers, the most apps, the highest margins, and the highest smartphone market share.

But they don't have the highest smartphone OS share, so they must be desperate. :rolleyes:

I didn't say anything of the sort. I am quoting a source.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
They haven't copied the design.

And, even, Samsung is not which has developed the gallery app

That's your opinion. Mine's a bit different.

Samsung phones; their operation, design, marketing and packaging all very closely mimic the iPhone. Plenty people agree to it. As I said previously, the Ace looks very similar to the iPhone4 another devices look a lot like iPhone3G.

Please disagree as much as you can, but the copying is pretty clear.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Don't forget overall mobile OS share, and of course total domination of the tablet segment by a ridiculously wide margin. There are no cell phone contracts in the tablet market. ;)

Next in the news, iphone and ipad shortage due to "production issues" at samsung's chip fabs.

Unlikely (and which would be downright retarded on Samsung's part.) Unless Samsung wants to be in even more legal hot water over contractual responsibilities that go unfulfilled.

Given their recent quarterly report, they need all the business they can get.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Doesn't the Galaxy S use the stock Android Gallery app? This could overspill onto other handsets if so as the majority of them use the same Gallery app.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Come on.. Wtf is going on here. Anyone know if this applies to Norway? I searched NO and Norway on that page and it isn't there. That means it will continue to sell here right?
In another court case the Dutch court raised a question with the European court if they were allowed to judge about these international (read: EU/Europe) things. Up until now there has been no reply so the Dutch court assumes that it can. Since Norway isn't part of the EU but Europe than this means the ban also applies to them. However, if the European court says that the Dutch court isn't allowed to rule about these things than this ban does not apply to countries other than the Netherlands.

This ruling also shows that the article about the EU Design Model by osnews.com is incorrect. The court looked at the entire context and then draw conclusions. This is also a very important part of Dutch law: it is the idea and not just the text that counts. If you would only look at the text you'd get away with theft if you simply returned it. Since they look at the idea (you shouldn't take something that isn't yours and you didn't get approval for) you can be convicted anyway.

The findings from some people regarding prior art and the enquiry done by Apple are also things the court mentions in its ruling. The swipe to unlock patent is seen as invalid because of prior art in the form of the Neonode phone.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
That train is from the wingdings font! Remember i used it for a web-design thing back in the 90's :- )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.