Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Florian Mueller's blog is pretty much required reading for people trying to follow the progress in Apple's legal fight with samsung in Europe.

Yesterday the German court issed a statement basically upholding its earlier ruling.

Leave it to that troll Florian Mueller to get it wrong. The German court said the injunction in Germany would hold until it issues its ruling on September 9th.

Basically, nothing to see here, we get to wait another 2 or so weeks before we know if the injunction will stand or not.

This was covered earlier in the thread. Hence why no one is reporting on it. Florian sure likes to trumpet without understanding. Oracle vs Google was a done deal according to him, yet today the case is on life support.

Florian is campaigning against Android. Don't mistake his reporting as objective and unbiased. Anyone attacking Android is going to get praised on his blog and the reporting will be skewed to make them seem right while Google and its partners will always be wrong.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Seriously! Someone needs to break "achy breaky heart" in to smaller verses and force Billy Ray to license it out to songwriters everywhere. I'm a songwriter and I wrote a similar song and and one of the lines sounds similar, but it's not the same damn song!

You're missing the point. He's trying to say apple is becoming uncompetitive in the marketplace. Your song analogy in that context makes no sense.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Florian Mueller's blog is pretty much required reading for people trying to follow the progress in Apple's legal fight with samsung in Europe.

Yesterday the German court issed a statement basically upholding its earlier ruling.

There are a number of issues at stake here. But of particular interest is the indication that the Court:

Emphasis Mine.

It is also worth noting that these are only preliminary injunctions. That Samsung's lawyers may yet present evidence that persuades the Court to rule in its favor. Its also worth noting that, in general, German Courts and Law tend to be more favorable to Rights Holders than other Jurisdictions. (The reasons for this date back to medieval Craft Guilds.. but thats another story entirely.)

Lastly, I wouldn't hold up Florian Mueller as an infallible oracle of wisdom. But he does have a pretty good understanding of the way IP law works in the EU.

I wouldnt add that emphasis. Why? Well, based on the fact that the Judge(s) view Design registrations as something worth "medium range of protection, if not a broad one" it is hard to get a grip on the "continuum" so to speak.

Clearly, she found it "similar enough to investigate further", however. And like stated by Florian, as she feels that there are different ways to make the same product i guess it is likely that the final verdict will say the same (i.e. that it is similar enough to infringe (which is not equivalent with "ri

There are a number of issues at stake here. But of particular interest is the indication that the Court:

Emphasis Mine.

It is also worth noting that these are only preliminary injunctions. That Samsung's lawyers may yet present evidence that persuades the Court to rule in its favor. Its also worth noting that, in general, German Courts and Law tend to be more favorable to Rights Holders than other Jurisdictions. (The reasons for this date back to medieval Craft Guilds.. but thats another story entirely.)

Lastly, I wouldn't hold up Florian Mueller as an infallible oracle of wisdom. But he does have a pretty good understanding of the way IP law works in the EU.

I wouldnt add that emphasis. Why? Well, based on the fact that the Judge(s) view Design registrations as something worth "medium range of protection, if not a broad one" it is hard to get a grip on the "continuum" so to speak.

Clearly, she found it "similar enough to investigate further", however. And like stated by Florian, as she feels that there are different ways to make the same product i guess it is likely that the final verdict will say the same (i.e. that it is similar enough to infringe (which is not equivalent with "rip-off").

Anyhow, this is turning into a farce. Just saw a pic of a W8 tablet this morning (which may ofc. just be concept). Will Apple dare to go after anyone who makes an "ipad-looking W8"-tablet? MSFT is a different beast from Google, and im not sure either party wants to open that can-of-worms. Anyway, it will be nice to get everything clarified in the end. Exactly what is it that you are not allowed to do. And; what happens if everyone else now starts filing design-registrations like hell? How will anyone ever be able to produce anything without infringing? Is that really the development we want to see?

(and i can guarantee that MSFT, unlike Google, will stick behind its OEMs in court).
win8tabletapps1.jpg

Edit: Just realized, as the app is just concept i guess the pad is too. Still, the scenario is interesting.

----------

I still use my SE K750i that I've had since 2006. Best phone I've ever used and is a lot better as a phone than iPhone. If I want a smart phone, i.e. a phone that really is a small computer, I'll concede that the iPhone would be better than my K750i. I most likely will get a smart phone soon, and I was seriously considering iPhone 5, but after Apple's recent behaviour I can't do that in good conciousness.

As long as you resort to condecending and insulting people no one will take you seriously, not that I personally ever have.
The hater here is you, hating everything non-Apple and people with differing opinions.

Thankfully, many phone makers still make the effort to create slide-out keyboards. Typing on physical keys is so much nicer than virtual keys. The on-screen keyboard is only a trade-off to get the thinnest possible phone with a large display.

(i) I feel the same. I think i'll pick up a Nokia this fall, assuming they actually get a design looking at least nearly as good as their concepts. Feels strange to view MSFT as the good-guy of sorts, given their past. But its hard not to these days (Google i simply dont trust, same reason ill never use chrome despite it probably being top notch - its bad enough that i use their search :D).

(ii) Did you see MSFTs patent on the sliders? The "one-surface thing" or how one should describe them.

image75.png

image74.png

image_thumb23.png

Last edited:

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Speaking of patents:

combined-surface-user-interface-ms.jpg

Where did we see that one before? (Oh, and yeah, MSFT filed first - not that it matters. Just stating it now to avoid all the "everyone copies apple buhuhu").

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
divinox, that pad is a HP Slate 500, if I am not mistaken.

looks like you are spot-on. i like the way they roughed up the rim. very nice, and hopefully a first step towards something not so clean-cut as the trend of today.

If i got one of those with a nice processor, a fair share of RAM and W8 for a solid price i am sold!

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Ironically i ended up seeing the S2 sitting next to an i4 (and an i3gs) at a table last night.

First: The devices looked nothing alike. The mere size difference, and the way the S2 completely dwarfed the i4, is in itself enough to tell the two apart - and more, they are hardly identical twins of any sort, heck I'd doubt they were even from the same family (fourth-cousins at best!).

Second: Wow, the S2 was stunning. I knew Sammy's amoleds were supposed to look neat, but i didnt expect that. Also, after reading so many times about Android being slow, unresponsive and not very smooth, I expected at least to experience some choppiness. Result? None. I'd say its just as good as the iphone, if not better. As such, I guess it must be some truth in what i read a while back, that people start hating "on the other choice" once they "commit" to something.

All i can say is, you're missing out people. Open your eyes. You might like what you see! :- )

Disclaimer: I don't give a rats-ass about Android, i really don't want to use it. Ever. However, that has nothing to do with the platform in itself being a poor choice. After last night i can safely state that it operates well, and that it will most likely just improve with time (and technology).

p.s.

Wow. Those screens. Damn.

(yes, i know they're probably way-off mark with regards to true colors etc., but right now i dont care. I want one. Now.)

Last edited:

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Ironically i ended up seeing the S2 sitting next to an i4 (and an i3gs) at a table last night.

First: The devices looked nothing alike. The mere size difference, and the way the S2 completely dwarfed the i4, is in itself enough to tell the two apart - and more, they are hardly identical twins of any sort, heck I'd doubt they were even from the same family (fourth-cousins at best!).

Second: Wow, the S2 was stunning. I knew Sammy's amoleds were supposed to look neat, but i didnt expect that. Also, after reading so many times about Android being slow, unresponsive and not very smooth, I expected at least to experience some choppiness. Result? None. I'd say its just as good as the iphone, if not better. As such, I guess it must be some truth in what i read a while back, that people start hating "on the other choice" once they "commit" to something.

All i can say is, you're missing out people. Open your eyes. You might like what you see! :- )

Disclaimer: I don't give a rats-ass about Android, i really don't want to use it. Ever. However, that has nothing to do with the platform in itself being a poor choice. After last night i can safely state that it operates well, and that it will most likely just improve with time (and technology).

p.s.

Wow. Those screens. Damn.

(yes, i know they're probably way-off mark with regards to true colors etc., but right now i dont care. I want one. Now.)

Every android phone I''ve ever used from the Droid One to the Thunderbolt has lagged after using it for a couple of weeks. Of course a brand new out of the box device with no apps or extraneous things on it will seem amazing, but trust me the S2 will lag just like every other android device.

I'm the opposite of you. I have no interest in getting an iPhone because I like my android and the google integration, but I try not to deny the obvious...

http://groups.google.com/group/folderorganizer/browse_thread/thread/9646fe7c5a5b64b7?pli=1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1237285
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/402571-home-screen-lag.html

kdarling

macrumors P6
Every android phone I''ve ever used from the Droid One to the Thunderbolt has lagged after using it for a couple of weeks.

I've had the opposite experience.

My Incredible 1 and 2 were never laggy. My older iOS devices certainly have been at times, despite their lack of multitasking.

Btw, I think one of the smartest things Apple did with iOS was to totally ignore errors and just silently fall back to the home pages. This gives the illusion of fewer problems. And it works, except when it happens a lot under Safari. Then anyone can notice it.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I've had the opposite experience.

My Incredible 1 and 2 were never laggy. My older iOS devices certainly have been at times, despite their lack of multitasking.

Btw, I think one of the smartest things Apple did with iOS was to totally ignore errors and just silently fall back to the home pages. This gives the illusion of fewer problems. And it works, except when it happens a lot under Safari. Then anyone can notice it.

Oh I have no doubt that iOS lags as well...I just cant stand when people apply their own experiences to mean everything will be fine. there are plenty of complaints about the Incredible as well. i think the consensus is the iOS experience is far more fluid then the android experience, though. i've yet to see anyone who objectively reviews these things for a living say android is more fluid then iOS. of course if you're frequenting sites called "iloveandroid.com" or "ios4life.com" you'll see differing opinions.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My "smoothest" OS experience yet is easily WP7.

It really is amazing how smooth it runs on Nexus One level hardware.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
My "smoothest" OS experience yet is easily WP7.

It really is amazing how smooth it runs on Nexus One level hardware.

I only had very limited playtime with wp7, but from that i am inclined to agree. If only i could get my hands on one of them HD2s... (for a bargain price)

Every android phone I''ve ever used from the Droid One to the Thunderbolt has lagged after using it for a couple of weeks. Of course a brand new out of the box device with no apps or extraneous things on it will seem amazing, but trust me the S2 will lag just like every other android device.

I'm the opposite of you. I have no interest in getting an iPhone because I like my android and the google integration, but I try not to deny the obvious...

http://groups.google.com/group/folderorganizer/browse_thread/thread/9646fe7c5a5b64b7?pli=1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1237285
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/402571-home-screen-lag.html

This device was not brand new, not at all. Further, it was owned by a non-tech savvy person making me doubt that the owner had done lots of stuff to it to improve performance. I do not doubt that the Android platform has issues, i'd even like to state that these are serious ones too, but my experience was nice. Smooth, slick, responsive. Maybe you are just holding it wrong? ;- )

disclaimer: i have no interest of getting an iphone either. whereas i find the device somewhat nice, i do have ideals standing in the way of ever purchasing one.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth

This isn't the first time that Apple has accused competitors over something it itself is doing. Apple chief executive and co-founder, Steven P. Jobs has bragged about his mastery of stealing ideas from others, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU [video], "Picasso had a saying - 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

But faced with large touch-screen competitors to his iPhone and iPad, the CEO and Apple's lawyers cried foul, accusing these rivals of "slavishly" copying the company's intellectual property.

The inevitable is coming...

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Because the differences between FRAND and non-FRAND patents are too complicated for most of the people who particpate in these threads to understand, let alone intelligently debate.

there is almost zero intelligent debate taking place as it is. does that even matter anymore?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funkymonk said:

Took all of 30 seconds to see the issue apple is raising is entirely different from what apple is doing in pursuit of their patent protection.

The author of the first article is a imbecile and doesn't even understand his own writing. Apples complaint specifically relates to these companies get their patents put in to the cornerstone of industry standards so they can profit off of it. This fundamentally goes against the standards process and is abusing patents.

That has nothing to do with what apple has done with defending their ip against thieves. It is ridiculous that someone would compare the two issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.