Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Strange, my battery *seems* to be the same if not better.

I'm at 75% right now with 2 hours 26 min of usage and 5 hours 5 min of standby.

It is strange the different results people seem to be getting. I turned everything that was mentioned above off and I've been stuck at 100% for a while now.

Definitely not dropping as fast as it had been. Hope this means that turning off automatic downloads, etc fixed the battery issue.

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
I've had no battery problems either, but I have virtually everything that would run in the background off. The only option I have on is auto updates and it's definitely not affecting my battery.

Must be a fairly specific bug that people are finding and getting stuck with. Phone reboot doesn't help?

Cayennr

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Skopje, Macedonia
Strange, my battery *seems* to be the same if not better.

I'm at 75% right now with 2 hours 26 min of usage and 5 hours 5 min of standby.

Indeed, I too get pretty good usage and standby time considering this is the first beta.

Attachments

• Photo 13.6.13 19 01 58.png
    Photo 13.6.13 19 01 58.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 97

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
It's CPU usage that's the problem, I have a CPU monitor installed and after a while some process is sending the CPU into overdrive, when I do a hard reset it starts off at around 15%, then when the CPU goes crazy it's 70% or higher making the phone warm and the battery drain.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
Today is the first day after installing ios7 yesterday afternoon on my 4s, I have disabled background refresh, and got out of the house at 7am, and right now 1:23pm still got 48% left, only talked once for 2 mins, checked facebook, checked in on foursquare.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
The battery life sucks and it's a beta, also smoking is bad for you and so is McDonalds for every meal.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Enable "Reduce Motion" under Accessibility helped for me. No more cool wallpaper effect, but battery has been saved until they iron out the performance issues.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It's CPU usage that's the problem, I have a CPU monitor installed and after a while some process is sending the CPU into overdrive, when I do a hard reset it starts off at around 15%, then when the CPU goes crazy it's 70% or higher making the phone warm and the battery drain.

That's exactly what I've noticed. It's fine for a while, but then at some point my phone suddenly becomes very warm and the battery just starts dropping fast. After doing a hard reset (hold power + Home until restart), it is good for a while.

Anyway, do you know what service that is? That may help narrow it down. I'd like to report it as a bug on the dev site.

I had horrible battery life the past 2 days. Today it started to get bad, then at lunch time I completely turned off Location Services. Now I've been sitting at 75% for a good hour or so, so that may have been the culprit. I'll have to see how it goes for the rest of the day.

And as for the "OMG IT'S BECAUSE IT'S A BETA!" people... we know ;)
It's just nice to narrow down the cause in hope of disabling something, as a workaround, to continue using and testing iOS 7.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Fresh install of iOS 7 on an iPhone 5 here... horrible battery life. In an hour I went from 99% to 60% from just listening to music and occasional texting. No other apps running on multitask. :/

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Another thought I had was that maybe the Background App Refresh is bugged, since it's still so new. I was thinking that maybe, even though I have switched it off, it is still activating, and then gets stuck in a loop of constantly refreshing some particular app(s), causing the battery life to quickly deplete.

But if the previous poster says he was only using one single app, maybe that thought is inaccurate.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
As in previous betas, sometimes syncing of things like calendars and contacts gets stuck. I had terrible battery life when I first installed, and my phone was uncomfortably warm. When I got a few texts that had only numbers and not names, I checked and I was missing all of my personal contacts on my secondary iCloud account. I removed, added it back, and not only did the contacts finally sync, but the overheating stopped and my battery life went down to what I would consider normal.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
did a little research, couldn't find anything useful. i think you should wait for Beta 2 and hope that it solves your issue.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Well I spoke too soon...

Usage: 1 hour 4 min
Battery: 65%

I have everything previously mentioned turned off, did a few hard restarts, reset all settings...

I don't know. I know it's a beta (no need to repeat that a million times btw) but some folks are clearly claiming to have great battery life so I wish I knew what was wrong with mine.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Try removing your iCloud or Mail, Contacts, and Calendars accounts and adding them back again.

dt808

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I went from 95% to 45% in 2.5 hours. I disabled reduce motion and went to General > reset > reset all settings and I have normal battery life again.

Try doing that!

filmfanatic24

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I went from 95% to 45% in 2.5 hours. I disabled reduce motion and went to General > reset > reset all settings and I have normal battery life again.

Try doing that!

You disabled "Reduce Motion" or you enabled it? It's disabled by default.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
If it is disabled by default, it definitely wasn't disabled by default on mine.

I have it off.

It's a badly worded setting. If "Reduce Motion" is ON, then the parallax scrolling effect is OFF. If "Reduce Motion" is off (which it is by default), then the parallax scrolling effect is on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.