Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Interesting. I called today about my 6s as well. Never said 10.0.2 would do anything to the battery. In fact I found their questioning and suggestions pretty pedestrian. They ran the diagnostic but the conversation ended with basically an open-ended "OK then, good luck"-ish sort of non answer to the issue.

Exactly. I got the usual scripted line of "Try dimming your screen brightness and closing some apps". I said, "On iOS10, I will open messages, type 4-5 words, and can watch the battery incrementally decrease 8-12% right in front of me". They ran the diagnostics, said everything is fine, and asked me to check if there's an update available, which I did, and they used it as a quick "get this guy off the phone" tactic, "ok install the update and see how it goes, if there is still an issue you will need to do a full restore". Sure, thanks, bye.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
My battery seems much better today. I switched to FireFox and haven't touched Safari. I'm at probably 3-4 hours usage and 13 hours standby 40% battery. The past few days it would been 2-3 hours usage, 8-10 hours standby and 20% battery...we'll see what happens in the next few days.

I was dead set on returning the phone last night. Now I'm pretty convinced it's a software issue and can be fixed...

I've been saying that, it is software cause 9.3.5 for me I get normal usage on my 6S+ and on 10.0.1 my phone could die in minutes as I was using it
[doublepost=1474678375][/doublepost]
Exactly. I got the usual scripted line of "Try dimming your screen brightness and closing some apps". I said, "On iOS10, I will open messages, type 4-5 words, and can watch the battery incrementally decrease 8-12% right in front of me". They ran the diagnostics, said everything is fine, and asked me to check if there's an update available, which I did, and they used it as a quick "get this guy off the phone" tactic, "ok install the update and see how it goes, if there is still an issue you will need to do a full restore". Sure, thanks, bye.

Exactly... But you have to kinda call back livid and tell them you did everything and they will eventually do something. When I got my 6 I was having wifi issues where it would disconnect and never connect back until I rebooted.

I called and told them - I tried:
Different routers
Setup as new
DFU restore
Different houses

And still had a problem, they wrote up a note on my account for the ticket and I walked in and out of the apple store with a new phone in 5 minutes

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I've been saying that, it is software cause 9.3.5 for me I get normal usage on my 6S+ and on 10.0.1 my phone could die in minutes as I was using it

I hear ya. I've been reading plenty of posts with people saying relax or don't worry about it... blah blah blah. But I got blinders on when my new iPhone 7 Plus is draining battery faster then charging it seems like, haha. Now I'm finally relaxing a little and not to concerned. I just wish Apple would say something and acknowledge it, and a fix is in the works... haha

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Pretty insulting no?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014

Yeah, the rep I spoke to was nice, but I wasn't having the, "iOS 10 has more features" explanation for my battery suddenly becoming crap. Have you installed the update yet, though? This was definitely a software related issue for me, and I'm having an awesome battery cycle on my 6S Plus since installing the beta:

IMG_8804.PNG IMG_8805.PNG

And I have to say, even though this was an unfortunate introduction to iOS 10 for most of us in this thread, we're lucky to be with a platform that gets updated like this. If we were on a new Android OS, you'd never know when something like this would be fixed with an update, or if you'd even see an update again at all.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Yeah, the rep I spoke to was nice, but I wasn't having the, "iOS 10 has more features" explanation for my battery suddenly becoming crap. Have you installed the update yet, though? This was definitely a software related issue for me, and I'm having an awesome battery cycle on my 6S Plus since installing the beta:

View attachment 658259 View attachment 658260

The battery may even be better than it was on iOS 9 now! And I have to say, even though this was an unfortunate introduction to iOS 10 for most of us in this thread, we're lucky to be with a platform that gets updated like this. If we were on a new Android OS, you'd never know when something like this would be fixed with an update.. or if you'd even see an update again at all.

You installed 10.1? And that seems to have fixed your issue?

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010

What I couldn't seem to get through to anyone was that this issue didn't happen on 9.3.5 so all the comments they had about closing apps and being on wifi vs. data etc. weren't relevant. But that is what's in their script.

Reactions: yep-sure

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
You installed 10.1? And that seems to have fixed your issue?

Yes, I installed the 10.1 beta a few hours before the regular update was released this morning, and it fixed my battery issues.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, I installed the 10.1 beta a few hours before the regular update was released this morning, and it fixed my battery issues.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. I'm going to give it shot. I'd rather have a few other issues then crappy battery... haha

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
How the things are going with the new ios 10.0.2 and the iphone 6 guys? any improvement on battery life?
[doublepost=1474684831][/doublepost]
Hi guys, I am newbie here and i have followed your texts and I have the same problems!

Battery life is poor and somewhat strange for me on a 6S.

My 6S was bought in april 2016 - is new!

I already sent my iPhone to the apple support, but they dont fixed anything. They gave me back my my iPhone on iOS 9.3.5 - which was weird because I had sent the iPhone on iOS 10!

I tried using the iPhone 6S in version 9.3.5, but I could not because my backup is on iOS 10 and my apple watch is on whatcOS 3! That is, I was forced to use it on iOS 10.

I tried restore and reinstall iOS 10, with or without backup and the problems continued.

On the last night I went to sleep and the iPhone was 100% battery and in this moring was with 82%.

It's all off on my iPhone (background updates, moves, etc.) and the battery still going down. The most curious is that I have not used the iphone - he is only in standby!

I've tried talking to Apple support twitter and they ignore me.

we're in the same boat.
Thanks!

*sorry for my English guys
:(

Np with your English, wish i could help, how was your battery life before installing ios 10?
[doublepost=1474684940][/doublepost]
I've upgraded to 10.0.2 today and I'm noticing a different behavior already (for the good). In the GM release, the usage of the device was not following actual usage, it was high. If the phone was 2 hours, 30 minutes since being pulled off the charger, it would read say well over 1 hour of usage, when that wasn't the case.

Now, with 2 hours and 30 minutes since being pulled off the charger, I have 25 minutes of "usage". Battery on the 6s is at 98%. Too early to tell, but certainly the "usage" reporting is down, comparatively.

Edit, using a 6s.
please keep us informed.

Anyways i'm still gonna update my ipod touch 6 from ios 10.0.1 to 10.0.2 right now i will report tomorrow.

In the meantime i'm still on ios 9.3.5 on my iphone 6s just in case...
[doublepost=1474685345][/doublepost]
How's your total usage on iOS 9? Did you set it up as a new iPhone? Did you set up iOS 10 as new too? Sometimes restoring from a backup can mess things up.

Your battery is definitely failing. You need a new one. When it turns off on it's own, it's failing for sure.

Well i charged my iphone 9 last night before going to sleep at full 100% right now and 9PM i ended at 95% yes, i didn't use it too much today, some browsing and checking mail that was all.

Yes i ialways set up my phone as new specially when is X->Y, but not when the update is just x.y or x.y.z

yes i set up ios 10 as new too twice, i've never used backups i don't have too many apps. just 2 screens.
[doublepost=1474685542][/doublepost]
You should stop recommending coconut for everyone since not every user has a Mac or Hackintosh at least... really there is no universal way of checking it?
Maybe Xcode (also for Windows) is not working this way?

Well i bet you know already about this ios app "Batter life" for ios i just bought it last night to check my devices all are perfect greeen, except my ipad air 2 with 3% battery wear.

Last edited:

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
10.0.2 6S+ on 1% battery right now for the past 45 minutes

Battery life app shows 0/2700mAh remaining, so that leads me to believe something isn't being calculated right with iOS 10

S3rv3d

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
7+ after first charge out of the box. Main usage was Safari about 82%. 4G, 2-3 bars in general and Wifi. Died about 15 min after this. 10.0.1.
21nirt0.png

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
IMO absolutely dreadful on my iPhone 6S+ running 10.1 Beta.

I have background refresh off, all spotlight/suggestions off. Coconut Battery says 90% Battery left, 280 load cycles. All mail on Manual (no push) all location services Off apart from Share My Location, Find My iPhone and Emergency SOS. Reset All Settings, tried a clean install too. Disgusted

I use Spotify a lot so it hard to judge how much I have actually been using the phone. But I think atleast 30 minutes of that is music and no screen at minimum.

IMG_0127.PNG
IMG_0126.PNG

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
IMG_0115.PNG

Yeah 10.0.2 has fixed by battery life. A lot of YouTube and Safari today and it's only 65%.

chrissuth

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
Battery was fine on 10.0.1. But 10.0.2 has been terrible. Off charger at 8am. Mainly safari. iPhone 6s

Attachments

• IMG_1987.PNG
    IMG_1987.PNG
    122.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1988.PNG
    IMG_1988.PNG
    124.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1990.PNG
    IMG_1990.PNG
    125.7 KB · Views: 160

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
I'm running the 10.1 beta on my iPhone 6s Plus and not getting much better battery than when I was on 10.0.1. It seems that it's on counting my usage time when my screen is on and not when screen is off with apps or services running in the background. My standby time is typically way higher than my usage time, which seems disproportionate to how much I actually use my phone. On iOS 9, I would typically see anywhere from 35-45 minutes of usage and over an hour of standby before dropping to 99% from a full charge at 100%. Now I'm lucky to get 20 minutes of usage with standby of over 2 hours before dropping to 99% from 100%. Makes me wonder if the battery is fine, just the software maybe wonky. My battery capacity fluctuates between 5-8% wear which is good for an iPhone that I got at launch.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    238 KB · Views: 137

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
10.0.2 6S+ on 1% battery right now for the past 45 minutes

Battery life app shows 0/2700mAh remaining, so that leads me to believe something isn't being calculated right with iOS 10

That just means iOS needs to learn the battery calibration. The % displayed is estimated based on what the phone thinks the battery is at or should be at. Charging the phone to 100% and then letting it run down till it shuts off helps iOS learn the actual battery values.

Though that doesn't mean iOS 10 might not be reading this correctly. Every new iOS version seems to have problems with this initially.

rockhopper353

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I'm on a 6 plus and never had to charge the battery until I went to bed, since being on ios 10.0.1 and now with 10.0.2 it's been a nightmare. I'm fearing this is how it's going to be from now on and this isn't going to improve with further ios 10 updates.
If I downgraded to 9.3.5 is it not possible to restore my stuff onto the phone via the cloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.