Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Actually, battery % drop in iOS is almost perfectly linear once you hit 99% if the battery is loaded with a constant load (on a reasonable healthy battery). I created some battery graphs using the data from geekbench, which has a perfectly even load, and they are really straight. Just the drop from 100% to 99% takes longer (up to 10min of usage, or 1 hour of standby).
[doublepost=1477665896][/doublepost]Btw, recently my (new) 6s has become better with 10.1. After a couple of days of desaster (<3 hours usage), I now get 4 or up to 4:30 hours of usage. Still not stellar, but far better from my previous 6s on 10.0.2. I guess the effect might be mostly the new battery, though. I still have some screenshots from the early days of my older 6s when it got above 5 hours usage...
My 6s+ has been the first phone that felt so stable, almost iPad battery feeling .. until 10.1, now I use an app like imsg and it just drops in 5 minutes with 5% and then 2 hours of 1% drop, etc. Very inconsistent. Down to 1% a lot faster compared to 10.0, I am hoping a maintenance update will fix it, otherwise i might have to try fresh install of 10.1

Reactions: dianp

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I was quoting someone showing a screenshot with 97% left and something like 30 min of usage, my point was actually that the first % are not linear, I should have been more specific.

Usually my first % is more than 10 minutes, sometimes up to 20 or 25 min if it's light usage.

Yeah my iPhone 7 doesn't drop down to 99% until around 30 - 40 minutes of usage if its safari browsing or messaging etc after pulling the charger out! After that it drops around 1% every 6 minutes while using on average.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Guys being fair i don't see any more people complaining about battery life on the iphone 6s, perhaps the problem is isolated to each one of us now?

I haven't tested ios 10.1, only 10.0.1 with that one i had issues i don't know about the latest release.

What do you think?

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
Guys being fair i don't see any more people complaining about battery life on the iphone 6s, perhaps the problem is isolated to each one of us now?

I haven't tested ios 10.1, only 10.0.1 with that one i had issues i don't know about the latest release.

What do you think?

The battery life on my 6s has been noticeably worse since installing iOS 10. I used to get 7-8 hours of usage, now it's down to 5-6, and I don't think my usage habits changed much. Judging by this thread, iOS 10.1 update does not bring any improvements in terms of the battery life.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
The battery life on my 6s has been noticeably worse since installing iOS 10. I used to get 7-8 hours of usage, now it's down to 5-6, and I don't think my usage habits changed much. Judging by this thread, iOS 10.1 update does not bring any improvements in terms of the battery life.

Problem is since 10.1 was released the ones complaing here about it can be count with the fingers. You can go to any other thread on this same forum and post the same problematic and you will find people stating exactly the opposite with their iphones 6s. Perhaps the issue relies on the processors Samsung and TSMC? Sadly i got a samsung one...If that is true i'm over with Apple.
http://www.cio.com/article/2991338/...6s-or-6s-plus-has-a-tsmc-or-samsung-chip.html

Last edited:

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
10.1 is definitely not worse than 10.0.2 for me, so best way is to just try it (if you are on 10 already).

Yesterday I got 3:24 use with 19:55 standby at 8%. This might not seem much, but for the long standby time it is quite good for me compared to before. But I know it could be much better, as it was better under 9.3.5. This is for a brand new battery.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
10.1 is definitely not worse than 10.0.2 for me, so best way is to just try it (if you are on 10 already).

Yesterday I got 3:24 use with 19:55 standby at 8%. This might not seem much, but for the long standby time it is quite good for me compared to before. But I know it could be much better, as it was better under 9.3.5. This is for a brand new battery.

Depends what your doing with your phone and how weak your network coverage is of course but that's quite poor stats if it's an iPhone 6s. Did you get the new battery from apple?

This is an iPhone 5s running 10.1 with 29% battery wear ..

IMG_0850.PNG

IMG_0851.PNG

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
This seems quite amazing. But the problem seems to be mostly 6s, not 5s...

Yeah for the record the 5s gets less standby drain than my new iPhone 7 (although the 7 battery drains much slower than the 5s when your actually doing something with the phone).

6s problem or not though, below 4 hours usage on a new battery is poor, maybe a DFU restore set up as new worth a try?

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Yeah my iPhone 7 doesn't drop down to 99% until around 30 - 40 minutes of usage if its safari browsing or messaging etc after pulling the charger out! After that it drops around 1% every 6 minutes while using on average.

From my experience 1% drop every 6 minutes is normal I guess! That is how I "measure" my battery usage!

I went to the apple shop with my phone explaining them about the dust under my screen under the top right corner of my Iphone 6s as well as for the dropping of cellular (No Service while calling or not using it) and the battery drain. They did a firmware reinstall and now I need to check if this helped regarding the cellular issue - nothing changed, probably going there this week to get a replacement phone. I had before a Samsung chip, which got replaced because it got super hot and the battery drained . instead they swapped it with a TSMC one. Now I really hope that this time after exchanging it I will get a TSMC one, which does not constantly have issues with the cellular, dust and battery...

dsherh5

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Finally SOLVED my standby battery drain problem! I have no idea if this will work for others, but I've been following this forum for awhile now and everything I've tried over the past 3 weeks were utterly unhelpful, but this one thing totally totally solved my problem. I share it in the event it might help others. Again I can't of course say that this will work for anyone, but it totally totally utterly saved my battery drain problem and the solution has nothing to do with turning off tons of features like so many are saying. What a crazy advise people are giving. They are basically saying turn off everhing that is good about the phone and useful and maybe you will get better battery life. Utter rubbish. We should not have to not use any of the helpful features of our phones to simply get halfway decent battery life. So let me list the problem I was having. Then what I tried to fix it. And ultimately what ended up totally working.

Problem:

After extensive testing I came to the conclusion that the main issue with my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB was with the strange standby draining time. I think this is the key the battery drain issue. The standby drain time is what is causing the massively short battery life for many (for me certainly), but again I don't know if that is true for everyone. I'm just sharing what I withnessd with my own phone.

I would put the phone on do not disturb and let it sit for 10 hours each day during the test (I used another phone during this testing). I did this test with iso 10.0.1, 10.0.2, 10.0.3, and 10.1. Every since version ended up draining about 2% every hour so afte 10 hours of zero actively (no screen turn on even because it was on DND) my phone would be at 80%. This was utterly repeatable each and every time. Sometime it would be 15% sometimes 18% and sometimes 20% but it was in that range per 9-10 hours of standby with zero use of the phone. My useage time showed that no apps were during the battery, because useable would be like 9min after 10 hours.

Things I tied to help fix this (not in the order listed, but I did at one point tried each things and tested again). This took over 3 weeks to do while I used my other phone. I would make a change to fix it and then leave it in DND for 10 hours while I went to work.

1. Reset all settings.
2. Reset just network settings
3. Turned on Reduce Battery mode
4. Turned off ALL locations service
5. Turned on Reduce motion
6. Turned off all PUSH
7. Turned off ALL notification
8. DFU restore and backup from old backup
9. DFU restore and setup as new phone
10. DFU restore and setup as new phone and didn't install ANY apps at all
10. Turned off background refresh
11. Did all of the above at the same time as well
12. Did this for every version of iOS 10 from 10.0.1 (what my phone first came with) to 10.1 current.

Result: NONE of those steps done alone or together at once fixed the standby drain problem for me AT ALL.

What actually worked:

I found out recently that I had the iPhone 7 Plus At&t intel modem version and have been wanting to switch to Verizon. It was at this point that I was made aware that I could not do that with my phone. I did not know this when I bought it. It was never told to me and Apple does not state this very clearly or easy to find.

So after talking with Apple they agreed (they were really pleasant actually and I didn't get emotional or upset...I just simply said it was the right thing for them to replace my phon with sim free phone...and they agreed without argument at all) to change my phone to a sim free phone.

So I got a sim free iPhone 7 Plus a few days ago and after getting it this is what I did and it fixed everything.

1. I backup my current At&t iPhone 7 plus 256GB to icloud and iTunes encrypted backup.
2. I took my phone to apple.
3. They took my sim out and put in in a new retail boxed sim free iPhone 7 plus 256GB
4. I came home and did DFU restore to ios 10.1 current version
5. Restored from iCloud backup
6. Turned ON ALL settings, including hey siri, background refresh, all location service, push, icloud service, and iCloud drive, etc. I turned everything on full blast
7. The backup automatically reinstalled all 87 apps including facebook and messenger
8. Let me phone sit for 24 hours on chargers and then I restarted the phone and then let sit again another 2 hours while charging.

The final result:

I took off charge and put it on DND and let it sit for 10 hours (I used a timer). When I went to check my useage time was 4 min and my standby said 10 hours and get this.....

BATTERY DRAIN was down to 99%!!!!

I repeated this after a days use and next day same story. Only 1% drops after 10 hours of standby!

I have no idea if it was the sim free version with the non-intel modem or not, but this totally fixed my drain problem! This is with everyone turned on with no features off! This was the only thing that fixed my problem. I have no idea if this will work for anyone else or help everyone else (I understand that not everyone could be having the same issues as mine was so our solution would be different), but this totally fixed it for me. I am getting incredible useable time over 13 hours usage and over 27 hours or more standby before I have to charge!

I hope this was helpful.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Finally SOLVED my standby battery drain problem! I have no idea if this will work for others, but I've been following this forum for awhile now and everything I've tried over the past 3 weeks were utterly unhelpful, but this one thing totally totally solved my problem. I share it in the event it might help others. Again I can't of course say that this will work for anyone, but it totally totally utterly saved my battery drain problem and the solution has nothing to do with turning off tons of features like so many are saying. What a crazy advise people are giving. They are basically saying turn off everhing that is good about the phone and useful and maybe you will get better battery life. Utter rubbish. We should not have to not use any of the helpful features of our phones to simply get halfway decent battery life. So let me list the problem I was having. Then what I tried to fix it. And ultimately what ended up totally working.

Problem:

After extensive testing I came to the conclusion that the main issue with my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB was with the strange standby draining time. I think this is the key the battery drain issue. The standby drain time is what is causing the massively short battery life for many (for me certainly), but again I don't know if that is true for everyone. I'm just sharing what I withnessd with my own phone.

I would put the phone on do not disturb and let it sit for 10 hours each day during the test (I used another phone during this testing). I did this test with iso 10.0.1, 10.0.2, 10.0.3, and 10.1. Every since version ended up draining about 2% every hour so afte 10 hours of zero actively (no screen turn on even because it was on DND) my phone would be at 80%. This was utterly repeatable each and every time. Sometime it would be 15% sometimes 18% and sometimes 20% but it was in that range per 9-10 hours of standby with zero use of the phone. My useage time showed that no apps were during the battery, because useable would be like 9min after 10 hours.

Things I tied to help fix this (not in the order listed, but I did at one point tried each things and tested again). This took over 3 weeks to do while I used my other phone. I would make a change to fix it and then leave it in DND for 10 hours while I went to work.

1. Reset all settings.
6. Turned off all PUSH
12. Did this for every version of iOS 10 from 10.0.1 (what my phone first came with) to 10.1 current.

Result: NONE of those steps done alone or together at once fixed the standby drain problem for me AT ALL.

What actually worked:

I found out recently that I had the iPhone 7 Plus At&t intel modem version and have been wanting to switch to Verizon. It was at this point that I was made aware that I could not do that with my phone. I did not know this when I bought it. It was never told to me and Apple does not state this very clearly or easy to find.

So after talking with Apple they agreed (they were really pleasant actually and I didn't get emotional or upset...I just simply said it was the right thing for them to replace my phon with sim free phone...and they agreed without argument at all) to change my phone to a sim free phone.

So I got a sim free iPhone 7 Plus a few days ago and after getting it this is what I did and it fixed everything.

1. I backup my current At&t iPhone 7 plus 256GB to icloud and iTunes encrypted backup.
3. They took my sim out and put in in a new retail boxed sim free iPhone 7 plus 256GB
6. Turned ON ALL settings, including hey siri, background refresh, all location service, push, icloud service, and iCloud drive, etc. I turned everything on full blast
7. The backup automatically reinstalled all 87 apps including facebook and messenger
8. Let me phone sit for 24 hours on chargers and then I restarted the phone and then let sit again another 2 hours while charging.

The final result:

I took off charge and put it on DND and let it sit for 10 hours (I used a timer). When I went to check my useage time was 4 min and my standby said 10 hours and get this.....

I repeated this after a days use and next day same story. Only 1% drops after 10 hours of standby!

I have no idea if it was the sim free version with the non-intel modem or not, but this totally fixed my drain problem! This is with everyone turned on with no features off! This was the only thing that fixed my problem. I have no idea if this will work for anyone else or help everyone else (I understand that not everyone could be having the same issues as mine was so our solution would be different), but this totally fixed it for me. I am getting incredible useable time over 13 hours usage and over 27 hours or more standby before I have to charge!

I hope this was helpful.

You are not giving anyone any usable tips or information here, I mean seriosuly? you're basically telling us owners that have the AT&T/Tmobile Version that we basically have faulty/defective iPhone's and the only way to get decent battery life is to exchange it for the "Sim Free" iphone 7? Smh

Reactions: Freakonomics101

dsherh5

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
You are not giving anyone any usable tips or information here, I mean seriosuly? you're telling us we all have "defective" iPhone's and the only way to get decent battery life is to get the "Sim Free" iphone 7? Smh

Nope I'm saying I had a bad phone perhaps. Not EVERYONE as you say. I can't give tips because there was no tips to give. I tied every tip people gave here. If none of them worked for me why would I give them again as tips? Only tips that worked I would give. I'm simply saying for me this was the problem in case someone else tied everyihg like me and nothing worked. I'm saying this worked for me and it was the only thing that worked.

What would you want me to tell you? Repeat all the tips already given that did nothing to solve the problem for me? Why would I do that? I can only share what fixed it for me in the hopes that perhaps what was wrong with mine could be the same thing someone else might be having.

YOU jumped to the conclusion that EVERYONE's iPhone is defective (saying that would be absurd haha how would I even know that to claim such a thing). I simply said only mine was

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Nope I'm saying I had a bad phone perhaps. Not EVERYONE as you say. I can't give tips because there was no tips to give. I tied every tip people gave here. If none of them worked for me why would I give them again as tips? Only tips that worked I would give. I'm simply saying for me this was the problem in case someone else tied everyihg like me and nothing worked. I'm saying this worked for me and it was the only thing that worked.

What would you want me to tell you? Repeat all the tips already given that did nothing to solve the problem for me? Why would I do that? I can only share what fixed it for me in the hopes that perhaps what was wrong with mine could be the same thing someone else might be having.

YOU jumped to the conclusion that EVERYONE iPhone is defective. I simply said only mine was

Ok that makes it clearer now that you explained it, perhaps your phone was indeed defective, good you got it sorted out.

dsherh5

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Ok that makes it clearer now that you explained it, perhaps your phone was indeed defective, good you got it sorted out.

Sorry I thought in reading my post that would have been clear from the start. Again I never said every phone is defective
[doublepost=1477791362][/doublepost]

Thanks for understanding though and being gracious after understsnding me better. Cheers

Reactions: IsaiahL

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011

Problem:

1. Reset all settings.
6. Turned off all PUSH

What actually worked:

The final result:

I hope this was helpful.

Sorry but how did you solve your battery problems? You got a new phone so you didn't solve it.

That is like me saying that I solved the screen problems on my first iP7 by getting a new phone. I didn't solve it though, I just got a new phone. Or in my case 3 new phones.

As it happens I also had battery problems on this phone(4th) and as a last resort I did a DFU restore, iCloud restore and it completely sorted it out.

dsherh5

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Sorry but how did you solve your battery problems? You got a new phone so you didn't solve it.

That is like me saying that I solved the screen problems on my first iP7 by getting a new phone. I didn't solve it though, I just got a new phone. Or in my case 3 new phones.

As it happens I also had battery problems on this phone(4th) and as a last resort I did a DFU restore, iCloud restore and it completely sorted it out.

Haha you assumed that by my use of the world "solved", that I must have meant that I did some fancy reverse engineering or came up with a brilliant never before thought of highly creative scientific answer that got at the root cause of where this problem stems from. That seems to be what you assumed by my use of that word. The truth is that my use of the world "solved" was the most basic and simple definition of that word, which according to the dictionary is " to find an answer to, explanation for, or means of effectively dealing with (a problem or mystery)."

Given that before doing the latest thing that I did, I continued to have the battery drain issues, but after switching phones to one with slightly different inners and restoring from iCloud, I no longer had that problem, by definition that is having "solved" the problem. Don't read more or less into my words than that. It may not be the solution for everyone because maybe something was only wrong with my phone, but that is the point of forums such as this no? To offer experiences that became the solutions to our issues in the hopes that even a single person with the same problem as me might resolve things by doing what worked for each of us

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Haha you assumed that by my use of the world "solved", that I must have meant that I did some fancy reverse engineering or came up with a brilliant never before thought of highly creative scientific answer that got at the root cause of where this problem stems from. That seems to be what you assumed by my use of that word. The truth is that my use of the world "solved" was the most basic and simple definition of that word, which according to the dictionary is " to find an answer to, explanation for, or means of effectively dealing with (a problem or mystery)."

Given that before doing the latest thing that I did, I continued to have the battery drain issues, but after switching phones to one with slightly different inners and restoring from iCloud, I no longer had that problem, by definition that is having "solved" the problem. Don't read more or less into my words than that. It may not be the solution for everyone because maybe something was only wrong with my phone, but that is the point of forums such as this no? To offer experiences that became the solutions to our issues in the hopes that even a single person with the same problem as me might resolve things by doing what worked for each of us

Yeah, whatever you say:rolleyes:

I was obviously stupid to think you solved the problem when you used the word.

soupsoupsoup

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
USA
iOS 10 has been a total dumpster fire of an update for me. I am envious of you guys with 6S+ who are getting 5 hours of battery life. I am getting 3 hours and that is after trying everything including a reset/restore. My favorite part is using Apple Music which is nothing short of astounding. I can literally watch my battery meter drop 1% for every minute of music played. This is all on a 6S+ which used to get around 9-10 hours total battery life with the same behavior.

Well done Apple, I wanted to reenact the battery life of my first iPhone with your super large phone that was supposed to be worth a damn. At least I can switch to my MBP which has 0 battery problems but is plagued with more finder problems than OS X 10.0.

dsherh5

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Yeah, whatever you say:rolleyes:

I was obviously stupid to think you solved the problem when you used the word.

Oh will man there is too many more important things in life to be all bent out of shape over this silly assumption of my use of the word "solved". I don't need to go back and forward with you because it's unimportant so I will leave you with this last thought.

I had a problem. I tied many things (listed in my post) to try and solve it. Nothing worked. I tried something else (in my case switch to phone with different inners) and then restored from iCloud. The problem went away (for me at least). Isn't that the very definition and literal meaning of the word "solved" according to the dictionary? It is.

It is also right of me to say you made assumptions and you imposed regulations about what is considered a proper use of the word "solving" when it came to a solution. It's really much simpler than that.

Again in your reply, you made another assumption that I think you are "stupid". Hahahahaha how would I even know if that is true or not? I never said such a thing. You made that conclusion on your own. My instinct tells me that are not stupid in fact. You said that though not me to be clear.

Go and enjoy the day. This is so silly to be writing about. I feel silly even having spent this amount of time writing about it.

I won't make any more replies. I've said what worked for me and what didn't. People can use that or ignore it

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I'm on iOS 10.0.2 and I'm still having battery problems. Just because people don't keep on posting, doesn't mean their problems have been solved. I stopped posting because there's really no point. There is no obvious solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.