Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
My battery health on my SE 3 over the last few months seems to be dropping a % every week. I'm at 91% after 11 months usage and I have to charge a few times a day which is a pain, I'm wondering should I replace the battery before the battery replacement prices increase now.

The last time I had a battery replacement (going back 8/9 years now) the phone didn't function as well as it did previous, so since then I've just ended up selling the phone and buying a new one. But there's no alternative at the moment, given I don't get on with these OLED screens they all have now.

tygurr

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Apple only replace the battery if it is below 82%.

Reactions: eyoungren

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Apple only replace the battery only if it is below 82%.
They will replace the battery no matter what % it is at as long as you pay for it.

I was able to get my OGSE’s battery replaced with them which was sitting at 89%.

Reactions: tygurr

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Apple only replace the battery if it is below 82%.

If you pay, they will replace it at any point. Otherwise, when the capacity falls below 80%, they will replace it for free under Apple warranty or Apple Care+:

Reactions: tygurr

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
My battery health on my SE 3 over the last few months seems to be dropping a % every week. I'm at 91% after 11 months usage and I have to charge a few times a day which is a pain, I'm wondering should I replace the battery before the battery replacement prices increase now.

The last time I had a battery replacement (going back 8/9 years now) the phone didn't function as well as it did previous, so since then I've just ended up selling the phone and buying a new one. But there's no alternative at the moment, given I don't get on with these OLED screens they all have now.

You may want to check if your Optimised Battery Charging is enabled in the Settings > Battery. Also, Apple’s own battery health reading is not very accurate. On my iPhone 12 mini, for example, it was down to 84% within a year and then stayed at the same 84% for another year. If you have a Mac you could try CoconutBattery app to get a much better idea of your iPhone’s battery health.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
You may want to check if your Optimised Battery Charging is enabled in the Settings > Battery. Also, Apple’s own battery health reading is not very accurate. On my iPhone 12 mini, for example, it was down to 84% within a year and then stayed at the same 84% for another year. If you have a Mac you could try CoconutBattery app to get a much better idea of your iPhone’s battery health.
I've had it on since I bought it, was on my previous phone as well and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work as it never stops at 80%. I have tended to remove the charge at around that % though.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I've had it on since I bought it, was on my previous phone as well and I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work as it never stops at 80%. I have tended to remove the charge at around that % though.

Optimized Charging does not mean to stop charging at 80% all the time, but “in certain situations”, like when you regularly charge it at night, for example. If you do charge at night and happen to wake up one night early, have a look at your iPhone. It should display something like “Optimized charging enabled. Full charge expected by 6 am” or something similar, I cannot remember the exact text.

If you want to stop charging your iPhone at 80%, you may want to set up a shortcut to do so:

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
The last time I had a battery replacement (going back 8/9 years now) the phone didn't function as well as it did previous, so since then I've just ended up selling the phone and buying a new one.
The last time I had a battery replaced I had it done at an Apple Store and something didn’t work right after. I bought it back and they gave me a new phone. The person helping me said something like, ‘we don’t try to fix things twice’. That sold me on where I’m getting my batteries replaced.

My wife and I are about to replace batteries in both our phones (SE 2). Perfectly happy with them and no real need to upgrade. Currently at 83% capacity. Should have done it earlier but just haven’t found the time.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Check the diagnostic log for cycle count. If it's close to 500, I'd get it replaced. $49 now vs. $69 later.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The last time I had a battery replaced I had it done at an Apple Store and something didn’t work right after. I bought it back and they gave me a new phone. The person helping me said something like, ‘we don’t try to fix things twice’. That sold me on where I’m getting my batteries replaced.

My wife and I are about to replace batteries in both our phones (SE 2). Perfectly happy with them and no real need to upgrade. Currently at 83% capacity. Should have done it earlier but just haven’t found the time.
You should do it soon. Once a device hits a certain age limit it no longer matters to Apple if you are willing to pay or not - they will not replace the battery. I forget how long that time limit is, but I had my 6s+ battery replaced in November 2021 and a few months later they stopped replacing batteries for the 6s+.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 7 Plus iOS 15.6 RC [Brand New November 2020]

Battery Health - 90% [as of posting]

Settings --> Privacy --> Analytics & Improvements --> Analytics Data

log-aggregated-(date and time).ips

Battery Cycle Count - 287
Battery Max FCC - 3014
Battery Min FCC -2488
Battery Design Capacity - 2890
Battery Nominal Charge Capacity - 2586
Battery Raw Max Capacity - 2593

Battery Capacity as per Wikipedia - 2900mAh

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007

Attachments

• 500D0AD7-A52A-46CA-A953-810DDFA1AA06.png
    500D0AD7-A52A-46CA-A953-810DDFA1AA06.png
    154 KB · Views: 54

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I've just ended up selling the phone and buying a new one. But there's no alternative at the moment, given I don't get on with these OLED screens they all have now.
Alternatively, you can buy a case with a built-in battery pack; you'll get protection + extra battery life with no extra complications. :cool:

jms-uk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
UK

My SE2 is on 87% and the message in the Battery Health section of the settings is (to) Service Battery.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
They will replace the battery no matter what % it is at as long as you pay for it.

I was able to get my OGSE’s battery replaced with them which was sitting at 89%.
There have been posts here about AS employees not replacing a battery despite wanting to pay for this out of warranty service.
Enable "share iPhone analytics".
Its always on on any of my devices yet I couldn’t find it on my iPhone. Know why that might be?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There have been posts here about AS employees not replacing a battery despite wanting to pay for this out of warranty service.

Its always on on any of my devices yet I couldn’t find it on my iPhone. Know why that might be?

Different stores have different interpretations of the policy. Some stores will refuse to replace a battery for out of country devices. Apple’s official policy (if you phone AppleCare) is they will replace the battery regardless of percentage.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Just got checked the battery on Cocunut battery and its at 351 cycles
iphone.png

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'm wondering now whether I should replace the battery or just sell this and buy a new phone (most likely the same phone) as it does seem to hang on a few apps lately, and doesn't seem to be performing as well as it used to. If the components have been worn out then a battery replacement would be a waste.

Current status on Cocunut battery.
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 18.02.58.png

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I'm wondering now whether I should replace the battery or just sell this and buy a new phone (most likely the same phone) as it does seem to hang on a few apps lately, and doesn't seem to be performing as well as it used to. If the components have been worn out then a battery replacement would be a waste.

Current status on Cocunut battery.
View attachment 2174157
Why would the components be worn out? That doesn’t happen with technology. Replace the battery because selling the phone then buying the same phone again would be expensive and the least cost effective way of getting a new battery.

You can get a new battery and then wipe the phone and start again if you think there are software glitches. That’ll basically give you a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.