Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Only skimmed this thread, but I'm seeing some impressive numbers.

If I routinely got 5 hours usage, 16 hours standby on my iphone 4, what might you gentlemen conservatively predict I'd get on a 6?

I was getting that on my 4 and I get 8-8.5 on overage on my 6, a few 9+ hours I have got too

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
I was getting that on my 4 and I get 8-8.5 on overage on my 6, a few 9+ hours I have got too

So close to double on a good day, huh? Pretty nice.

Also, anyone know how the different methods of measurement compare on android v. iphone? The android I'm using gets about 16 hours "battery usage" on stand-by, 5 hours "Screen time on". Is screen Time On like 'usage' in iphone?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So close to double on a good day, huh? Pretty nice.

Also, anyone know how the different methods of measurement compare on android v. iphone? The android I'm using gets about 16 hours "battery usage" on stand-by, 5 hours "Screen time on". Is screen Time On like 'usage' in iphone?

usage on iPhone is screen time on + music played with screen off

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
So in the interests of SCIENCE I decided to try running down my 2nd iPhone 6 today to see how long it lasts on a full charge. This turned out to be much harder than expected because it dragged on and on...

I used Safari to browse quite heavily, followed by a lot of gaming with Real Racing 3, and following forums with Tapatalk throughout the day. Spotify music streaming was done with the screen on while I was browsing or in Tapatalk. Podcasting was done when the screen was off. Feedly and Kijiji were used sporadically through the day.

This is heavier than my normal usage patterns by far. Normally I don't game as much and when I do it's a less graphically taxing game such as Super Hexagon. Also I normally don't use Spotify as much but when you see how long the battery lasted you can tell I was nearly bored out of my mind trying to drain this battery and needed something to keep me going.

I was expecting 8 hours with this heavy use and ended up with nearly 11 hours of battery usage. Totally unexpected! Apple claims up to 11 hours just web browsing so this was a shocker.

Suffice to say with my usage patterns I'm glad I returned my iPhone 6 Plus because this smaller iPhone 6 lasts way longer than I would normally need each day.

Not sure if my 128 gb model has anything to do with this but my last 64 gb model did not last this long. Or maybe it's iOS 8.1. Whatever the case this rocks!
View attachment 508900

My stats are identical to yours! I'm on 1 percent right now!

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I battery life is awful and i'm doing normal usage like you all. I have an iPhone 6. I did restore from back up. Why do you recommend setting up as a new iPhone? You all don't want your pics/msgs/apps/etc??? There's gotta be a way to fix this issue. HELP anyone lol.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I battery life is awful and i'm doing normal usage like you all. I have an iPhone 6. I did restore from back up. Why do you recommend setting up as a new iPhone? You all don't want your pics/msgs/apps/etc??? There's gotta be a way to fix this issue. HELP anyone lol.

Wifi saves a lot of battery, if I'm on lte all day I don't get nearly as much hours.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Yea i'm on LTE all day also since there's no wifi in my building and lucky to get 4 1/2hrs usage out my phone in a day.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It wasn't dead yet, but wow. I'm just a freshman in high school, so you should get the general jist in usage patterns. Lunch, study hall, and in my case, English, because we literally do nothing in that class.

And yes, I was using Instagram a lot today. I pretty much went through a lot of Instagram accounts/explore section, and looked through the Internet for various funny pictures for a good 35 minutes. The total was 13 photos, not that much, really. 4-6 hours is generally my average amount of usage time on a full charge. It really sucks. Never has been good since I got my phone on October 6th. Not sure what to do now that I would like to exchange my phone but I passed my 2 week return period, the Apple store is 2 and a half hours away, and my parents would rather not deal with a Genius Bar appointment, a long trip, possibly being sent away with "Nothing is wrong with your iPhone", etc.

My parents also swear that nothing is wrong. Well, my dad does. My mom doesn't really know about this sort of thing, and doesn't exactly care. My dad thinks he knows, but he doesn't really to be honest... He just upgraded from a droid bionic he had for 2 years, it had atrocious battery life. He said if it was at 65% when he went to sleep, it was dead when he woke up. Making it through the day at work wasn't possible, but it was his first smartphone, so he didn't know anything was wrong with that.

Anyway, kind of not sure what to do with this whole situation. Battery also went from 31%-23% just from reading through a couple pages of this thread, and composing this long post.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
It wasn't dead yet, but wow. I'm just a freshman in high school, so you should get the general jist in usage patterns. Lunch, study hall, and in my case, English, because we literally do nothing in that class.

[url=http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/xthelancerx/56416009-184F-4865-BB15-343249D6CC24_zpsz37pk8je.png]Image[/URL]

[url=http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/xthelancerx/E3BC3EDF-D595-4372-B6E5-62B2450F00A1_zpst3arfoxm.png]Image[/URL]

And yes, I was using Instagram a lot today. I pretty much went through a lot of Instagram accounts/explore section, and looked through the Internet for various funny pictures for a good 35 minutes. The total was 13 photos, not that much, really. 4-6 hours is generally my average amount of usage time on a full charge. It really sucks. Never has been good since I got my phone on October 6th. Not sure what to do now that I would like to exchange my phone but I passed my 2 week return period, the Apple store is 2 and a half hours away, and my parents would rather not deal with a Genius Bar appointment, a long trip, possibly being sent away with "Nothing is wrong with your iPhone", etc.

My parents also swear that nothing is wrong. Well, my dad does. My mom doesn't really know about this sort of thing, and doesn't exactly care. My dad thinks he knows, but he doesn't really to be honest... He just upgraded from a droid bionic he had for 2 years, it had atrocious battery life. He said if it was at 65% when he went to sleep, it was dead when he woke up. Making it through the day at work wasn't possible, but it was his first smartphone, so he didn't know anything was wrong with that.

Anyway, kind of not sure what to do with this whole situation. Battery also went from 31%-23% just from reading through a couple pages of this thread, and composing this long post.

Can you try troubleshooting via teleophone with Apple or your phone carrier? I know Verizon has some nice and smart people in their tech support department. Also read internet articles on 'battery saving tips for iphone' and implement them, perhaps most importantly screen brightness and location related apps.

And if you can't improve your battery life, just accept it. You're fortunate to even have an iphone 6 at all. 4 to 6 hours a day using your phone is plenty. So put down the phone, do some school work, talk to some girls, play some sports, and count your blessings, young fella.

Altom

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
First day with iPhone 6
Restored from my iPhone 5 backup with iTunes
Hope it will be better after the first charging cycle from 0 to 100%
Is this good?

Attachments

• IMG_1070.PNG
    IMG_1070.PNG
    128.8 KB · Views: 114

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Don't know.
People are saying we should get 8-9 hours.
That's what I say here.

Don't listen to them.

Usage is highly dependant on what you're doing.

Playing 3D games all day? You'll probably get 3 hours
Watching movies? You'll get 11
Web browsing? Around 8 hours
Reading a book? ~10 hours
Music? 50 hours

You get the point...

You have 7 hours of usage which is perfectly reasonable. If you're using your phone like a normal human being and are getting 7 or more hours of usage, you have no reason to be concerned.

goknicks

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
don't listen to them.

Usage is highly dependant on what you're doing.

Playing 3d games all day? You'll probably get 3 hours
watching movies? You'll get 11
web browsing? Around 8 hours
reading a book? ~10 hours
music? 50 hours

^^this^^ very dependent on what you're doing with your phone

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
2 weeks old iPhone 6 (64GB, SG) running impressively.

My settings:
  • Every app has right to refresh, update and sync in the background when they need.
  • LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth and Location are on all the time. Every app installed that can use/need to use these has a permission.
  • Spotify streaming is set to highest quality.
  • 147 Apps installed.
Basicly I haven't touched the settings.

Translation for screenshots: Päivä=Day, Tunti=Hour, Minuutti=Minute.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 83

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Here's mine. Unplugged at 7 am, used whole day until about 23 pm. 3G the whole time, brightness at about 55%. Really happy with the battery.

However the "usage" counter doesn't make all that much sense to me. I was trough 45% of the battery with 7h standby and 2.5h usage, then end up having three times as much with the remaining battery...

I'd replace the "Last 24 Hours" with "Last Cycle" or similiar, the current set of statistics is pretty useless. The "Last 7 Days" is nice.

ovdMYuo.png

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
First day with iPhone 6
Restored from my iPhone 5 backup with iTunes
Hope it will be better after the first charging cycle from 0 to 100%
Is this good?

You and i seem to have the same battery usage. My standby is good but i don't care about that as much as i do about the usage. How was your iPhone 5 battery life? After the iOS 8 update, my iPhone 5's battery usage was 5 hours max and an average of 4 hr 45 mins. I also restored form backup via iTunes, and now my iPhone 6 has a battery life usage of 7 hours max. Its a bit disappointing because i don't do anything too extraordinary with it, it seems most people are getting around 9 hours before the phone dies.

edit: i should mention that i toggled reduce motion, toggled off background app refresh, etc but no luck

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
You and i seem to have the same battery usage. My standby is good but i don't care about that as much as i do about the usage. How was your iPhone 5 battery life? After the iOS 8 update, my iPhone 5's battery usage was 5 hours max and an average of 4 hr 45 mins. I also restored form backup via iTunes, and now my iPhone 6 has a battery life usage of 7 hours max. Its a bit disappointing because i don't do anything too extraordinary with it, it seems most people are getting around 9 hours before the phone dies.

its deceiving listen to more music and do everything else the same as you are now and you will get closer to 9

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
If you were to estimate the average screen on time you can achieve with a 6 Plus, how many hours would it be?

Altom

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Second day with iPhone 6
Usage: 8 Hours 6 minutes
Standby -1 day 8 hours
Mostly wifi browsing, Instagram , Safari, Phone.
4G OFF

Attachments

• IMG_1078.PNG
    IMG_1078.PNG
    120.5 KB · Views: 117
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.