Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
For example, if an Android user gets 16 hours standby and 5 hours of "screen time on", what numbers would that same user see if he used an iphone?

There is no easy way to compare with Android in terms of screen on time since Apple doesn't provide that number. All we get is usage and standby so we have to make do with what we have. Would be nice to have a screen on number but that seems very un-Apple. Don't get your hopes up.

agreed, I can get anywhere from 7-10 hours of "usage"

7 hours is when I dont listen to music

10 hours is when I listen to music

essentially listening to music gets hours of "usage" without using to much battery

Pretty much this. I'm closer to 8 if I had to guess without music. I'm almost consistently at 9-10 though as I rarely ever go a day without a podcast at the very least. Most days I listen to music or make phone calls - and those barely use any battery.

May i just insist into requesting you, please, to assess how long it takes to your battery to loose 1% when surfing even when looking at this thread? I would like to understand whether or not mine, which takes 4 min for 1 % under wifi connection, is sick or not. Thank for your kind help.

For info: app background refresh off and brightness at 40 to 50.

Cheers.

4 minutes each percentage is on track for about 6.7 hours of battery usage. That's about what my iPhone 5s used to get. 6 minutes for every 1% would give 10 hours of battery usage. So don't try to measure each percentage as even a small change in minutes can lead to huge changes in number of hours that a battery can last.

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
4 minutes each percentage is on track for about 6.7 hours of battery usage. That's about what my iPhone 5s used to get. 6 minutes for every 1% would give 10 hours of battery usage. So don't try to measure each percentage as even a small change in minutes can lead to huge changes in number of hours that a battery can last.

I Wonder about instantaneous consumption as I am worried not about total autonomy but battery behavior in real usage. I have 1% in 2-3min with 4g lte and3-4 min in wifi. Thanks a lot.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I Wonder about instantaneous consumption as I am worried not about total autonomy but battery behavior in real usage. I have 1% in 2-3min with 4g lte and3-4 min in wifi. Thanks a lot.

2 per percent means 3.33 hours battery life
3 per percent means 5 hours
4 per percent means 6.66 hours
5 per percent means 8.33 hours
6 per percent means 10 hours

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
2 per percent means 3.33 hours battery life
3 per percent means 5 hours
4 per percent means 6.66 hours
5 per percent means 8.33 hours
6 per percent means 10 hours

Apologies I was likely unclear but my worry is about battery instantaneous discharge rate, in order to judge about its real health, that's why I request an appreciation of 1% loss vs time in 4g+lte and in wifi. Can you have a try? Thanks.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Here is what I am getting on my 6 Plus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 119

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Apologies I was likely unclear but my worry is about battery instantaneous discharge rate, in order to judge about its real health, that's why I request an appreciation of 1% loss vs time in 4g+lte and in wifi. Can you have a try? Thanks.

Mine is about 6 seconds on wifi per second and around 5 seconds on LTE. That's the usual drain for me. But that's an estimate since the exact numbers probably involve fractions of seconds. This is why measuring this way is bad.

This is heavily dependent on cell signal. My car mechanic has terrible reception. Same with Costco warehouse. At those places it can drain at 10 to 15 seconds per 1% doing nothing in my pocket on 3G and 3-4 seconds per 1% out of my pocket while is use.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Battery Usage/Life Screenshots iPhone 6

Seconds or minutes? And how many for 1%? Thanks

All numbers are in minutes for 1% battery used.

Everywhere I said seconds I meant minutes in my previous posts. Typo heh.

Redjay

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
Yesterday was the first time my iPhone 6 has ever been below 50% because I keep my phone on a charger while at work. But I decided to leave it off the charger just for this thread but totally forgot to take a screen shot but I do remember that at 5% remaining on my phone I had 6h 30m of usage and roughly 10 hours of standby. I don't get great battery life because at my house I get maybe 1 bar of 3G on Verizon. As long as I have lived at this location I've gotten pretty bad battery life just because it's constantly going in and out of service at my house.

aevelasquez

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Miami, FL
Here's my Space Gray 64GB 6 Plus.

I'm not one of those f*cks who just sits on his phone like a ********* chicken seeing how high he can get the battery life in a single charge. You all know exactly who you are...

Sure, I have some services/settings that I don't make use of turned off on my phone, but I put as much use into it as I want whenever I feel like it.

I've had excellent battery life both in terms of usage and standby. What I think is far more important is the Usage/Standby ratio and this is mine.

VweE1OC.png

I unplugged it at 3:30 P.M. on the dot this past Wednesday, and it didn't die until approximately 10:40 this (Friday) morning.

I get more life out of this thing between charges than I could have ever hoped for.

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
How much battery does safari consume on your phone in terms of % per min? In wifi for instance
Thanks

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
This is my iPhone 6 couple of days old. I'm really happy with the battery.

Wifi, bluetooth, background refresh is on most of the apps, auto brightness, 4G, cellular data on. haven't really turned off any features.

Attachments

• Photo 56.png
    Photo 56.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 121

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Here's mine. 6+ 128. Weird no?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
How much battery does safari consume on your phone in terms of % per min? In wifi for instance
Thanks

This issue has you very concerned clearly, but try to keep these factors in mind:

1. Your percentage decrease depends completely on the work rate of your phone, I.e. how heavily you are using it at any given moment.

2. Both your WiFi's and your data's signal strength will be inversely proportional to your battery consumption. And since both WiFi and data signal can vary, so will your battery rate of consumption.

Case in point: I live in Boston and recently have been traveling for work. For the 5s i had at the time, and given my personal average rate of use, I was used to about 6-7 hrs usage and about 18 hrs standby with AT&T service. My home does not have great cell signal strength and i see about 3 bars mostly, sometimes 4. I went to Karachi, Pakistan for work and the signal strength on the carrier I was using was terrible. Saw 1 to 2 bars at best mostly. 3g availability was pretty spotty as well. I was getting about 4 hours usage at best, and about 12-14 hrs standby. Next I went to Singapore, and they have the best internet wireless connectivity I've seen outside of S. Korea (which is phenomenal). Full bars always, everywhere, every time. Lightning fast and efficient 4g too. I was averaging well over 8 hrs usage and at night before plugging in to charge, I would regularly see 30% battery left after personal normal use, which is usually 5-10% in Boston.

Same phone. Same usage patterns. Yet completely different battery life.

And that's just my own use. Think of how many different people there are just on this forum using the same phone as you, and permute that with the use case scenarios possible. Is there much point in worrying yourself with percentage decrease rates? :)

Jasonea

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
This is my 6+, and yes I'm trying to get the most of my battery but I also don't need tons of notifications going off as well. I also put it on the charger for 10 mins. But I can constantly get two days out of my phone easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.