Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'm reasonably sure that the number of people that actually fit into both of those is a minuscule amount. But, nice try at making up a stereotype.

I'm also reasonably sure that it is "ok" to "hate hip-hop". Otherwise, I must be some sort of horrible person.

I really don't have to make up the stereotype. The "eternal 70's player" stereotype has been around for a long time. Leisure suits to the disco beat are alive but well hidden in disco clubs replacing the last of the old Standards Dance Halls not run by the mob.

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
Just because they want their headphones to look cool doesn't mean you can be an unethical ******* and sell $10 headphones for $300. It's stealing.

Apple used to stand for more than that.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Really?

Just because they want their headphones to look cool doesn't mean you can be an unethical ******* and sell $10 headphones for $300. It's stealing.

And you honestly think the POS earbuds that Apple sells on their store for $30 is worth that? Really? Or what about the 2m long thunderbolt cables for $30? Really? And lets not ever forget what Apple charges for memory on their laptop computers....the ultimate ripoff...because it is soldered to the motherboard, so you are forced to buy their memory and can never, ever upgrade.

So, aleksoctop, lets not get carried away. Apple has been doing this for years.

:eek:

bluboi917

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
I am a 43 old musician in the music business for about 20 years now. I've done studio and live stage work using some of the finest audiophile equipment ever made. I have in the time both used and owned headphones made by the likes of AKG, Sony, Sennheiser, Bose, Klipsch, etc. i can say without a doubt that as far as sound quality my Beats Pro headphones rank right of there with most high end headphones at its price range. I think what most people who are critical of Beats fail to keep in mind is that judging headphone quality is a matter of objectivity.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

What? Apple has been doing this from the beginning of time.
1. Look at the build cost vs. retail.
2. Apple was still selling the ancient iPhone 4 to India and they still had iPad 2 on shelves for $399 not to long ago.
3. Look at the ridiculous price of USB cables and the plan to stop cheaper knockoffs from hitting the market.

Apple and Beats was made for each other; in a bad way.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
>Beats is often criticized as being a bass-heavy fashion accessory and not a true audiophile product, but sales figures reveal that the typically younger consumers who buy Beats are more interested in appearance than audio quality<

The dumbing down of America's youth. It's on your head, you listen to music with it, why give a rat's butt what it looks like?
Must be the same morons who pound the bass in their car so loud it sets off car alarms

----------

There are many different models within each brand. Sennheiser has models that are geared towards classical music (low bass), others more geared towards rock, etc etc. You have to know the model and match it to your music.
A lot of the higher end Sennheiser models sound better with a headphone amp
I made it a point to listen to comparably priced headphones $350-$400. Beats was the cheapest at $359

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I really don't have to make up the stereotype. The "eternal 70's player" stereotype has been around for a long time. Leisure suits to the disco beat are alive but well hidden in disco clubs replacing the last of the old Standards Dance Halls not run by the mob.

I must not walk down those streets.

----------

I am a 43 old musician in the music business for about 20 years now. I've done studio and live stage work using some of the finest audiophile equipment ever made. I have in the time both used and owned headphones made by the likes of AKG, Sony, Sennheiser, Bose, Klipsch, etc. i can say without a doubt that as far as sound quality my Beats Pro headphones rank right of there with most high end headphones at its price range. I think what most people who are critical of Beats fail to keep in mind is that judging headphone quality is a matter of objectivity.
Objectivity:
The Pro does appear to have a decent frequency response. I think it's more the $200 Solo and comparable that bother people, which response matches up well with the likes of a Koss $15 set.

The HD800 looks like a dream compared to any of these. I suppose it should be at its price.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

These people can't hear. Their undercover racism drowns out sound logic, objectivity and fact.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
black dudes are allowed to say that word.. they took it from whitey and said "you are never to use this word ever again".. and it's working.
when the point has been fully made, they'll stop using it along with everybody else..
you think you (white people) get offended when you hear that word?
Not all "white" people use such language. Lumping us together makes me angry. The kind of anger Dre can only dream of.

There is no point to it, only stupidity. You want divisions amongst skin color? Keep up this bs.

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles

I'm not buying your story here. Anything made by Grado or Sennheiser or AKG beats the hell out of beats....no pun intended.

Beats exaggerates the hell out of the low end and, since they are closed cans, destroy hearing.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Well IMO Apple kind of dug their own grave here. By creating product(s) that are so easy to use that a 2 year old could literally operate it, it also created a desirable product for an older generation uninterested in learning the nuances of computing products. So while 2 year old kids aren't (presently) buying iProducts, plenty of 50, 60+ aged people (AKA your parents) are. And who wants the same thing as their parents are using?

I sell phones for a living and you would be surprised how many people think even the iPhone is to complicated.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Funny thing is, a lot of people who I speak to (and my own personal experience) is that Bose is exactly like Beats in the audio world - overpriced and purchased by name, not actual quality.
Bose are actually pretty good for theaters and concert events. I've never heard anyone praise the quality of Beats products.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Yes please point me to a 4 and a half year old post to prove your point or not prove your point. Are these headphones even on the market anymore in their 2010 form?
It's a technical, objective review of a Beats product, from 3 years ago -unless you're from the future. Head-Fi apparently stopped doing in-depth reviews for Beats headphone after that.
Since when Best Buy reviews are a reference point? Would you go to McDonald's to hear their opinion on healthy eating?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It is not. Apple does a lot of R&D, and if Macs were not the best computers in the overall hardware+software package, I would not bother with them.

Scratch that last bit. I would not not have bothered with Macs since many years ago any gone Linux if it were not for the applications that don't exist for the latter. Even if 10.10 is going to be the most advanced desktop OS (if you have iOS 8 devices).

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Great news. I truly believe the meshing together of Beats technologies and Apple technologies will create unparalleled music experiences for all consumers.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
These people can't hear. Their undercover racism drowns out sound logic, objectivity and fact.

Here we go again. Claiming racism just because many of us realize that beats headphones are garbage. Wow.... Are you employed by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Hilarious though. Jimmy Iovine is white so how's the racism thing working for ya? Oh wait, we only dislike half of the beats headphones. The black half that is. Right.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Not all "white" people use such language. Lumping us together makes me angry. The kind of anger Dre can only dream of.

There is no point to it, only stupidity. You want divisions amongst skin color? Keep up this bs.

so you being viewed as a generic white person makes you more angry than dre is even capable of being?

I can't tell if you're in denial or just exaggerating in order to make a point but if it's the latter, I missed the point.

I mean, what happens when you fill out forms etc for banks, govt id, census, housing, etc?

do you fly into a rage upon seeing the generic 'Caucasian' check box or do you check it and move on?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
so you being viewed as a generic white person makes you more angry than dre is even capable of being?

I can't tell if you're in denial or just exaggerating in order to make a point but if it's the latter, I missed the point.

I mean, what happens when you fill out forms etc for banks, govt id, census, housing, etc?

do you fly into a rage upon seeing the generic 'Caucasian' check box or do you check it and move on?

No, being viewed as a racist. God, can't you people even pay attention to your own posts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.