Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Beats announced three new wireless headphones equipped with Apple's new W1 wireless chip earlier today, it also quietly released the new Beats EP wired headphones with a 3.5mm headphone plug. The new on-ear headphones are built to deliver "premium" sound in a "tough" and lightweight frame.

beatsep-1.jpg

The headphones are battery-free, allowing unlimited playback with a hassle-free fixed cable. They also come with adjustable vertical sliders so that users can personalize the fit for their head. RemoteTalk control allows users with iOS devices to take calls and control their music.

The Beats EP are available in four colors (blue, white, black, and red) and is available now on Apple.com and select retailers for $129.

Article Link: Beats Releases $130 Wired 'EP' Headphones With 3.5mm Plug

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
The headphones are battery-free, allowing unlimited playback with a hassle-free fixed cable. They also come with adjustable vertical sliders so that userscan personalize the fit for their head.

Is this a parody post? "Everything old is new again?" Sounds like any good ol' classic headphones from the past 50 years! (You know, before all these added hassles...)

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
I saw these on Apple's site today. I thought "have I not seen these?!" They use a 3.5mm plug. But the iPhone 7 doesn't have a hole for that! Tempting but... already owning Solo2 wireless, which are great, I'm good. Nice barebones option though!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why not the lightning, then it would be able to connect to the iPhone 7

Because the vast majority of the world won't own an iPhone 7.

Why make an accessory that caters to one device when you can make one that works with 99.9999% of music players?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I laughed. It sounds like an Apple Keynote in a few years when if they brought back the 3.5mm headphone jack as a new "innovation!"

"No pairing, no batters, just a plug and play music experience"
All about marketing. Even bringing back taken away features could be considered as "innovation".

Reactions: Traverse

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would think this is an ironic moment for Beats to release a headphone with 3.5 mm jack.
Anyway, I don't have the budget to buy not-good-sound-quality beats headphone.

They looks pretty cool though, especially the blue color.
[doublepost=1473307005][/doublepost]
EDIT: Forum doesn't support emojis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just find a site with all emojis, uh, you mean emojis in iOS? Well, tapatalk has a way to support it.

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
Seems like they would have bundled a lighting cable as well.

The headphones are targeted towards DJs and other computer uses that do not use Lightning. Apple is pushing for companies to go bluetooth, not lightning. Bluetooth is the future.

Tom-Helge

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
Norway / Ålesund
They don't limit sales to people with iPhone 7s.
Ehm, you can use Lightning headphones on all iPhones that is out now with a Lightning port. So you have had that ability for years already.

But the question is, why have no one even bothered to use that yet?

Because no one gives a rat ass about it, because it doesn't make sense to 'just use another port' just for the sake of changing something to get the exact same sound quality (and nothing that actually IS better) as we do get over the 3.5mm minijack.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
This is all true stupidity and not courage.
[doublepost=1473314341][/doublepost]Um, choose a pair of headphones that require repeated charging where the inbuilt battery fails in a few years or choose 3.5 mm headphones, worldwide standard, that require no charging that last for decades. It's a no brainer. The more I think about Apple's move to lightning and wireless the more it seems like a rather self indulgent experiment that puts customers last.
[doublepost=1473314695][/doublepost]
EDIT: Forum doesn't support emojis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT2: Okay, why not...

View attachment 649032
Add the Japanese keyboard in ios and you'll be (*^_^*) *\(^o^)/* ⊂((・⊥・))⊃ in no time!
[doublepost=1473314882][/doublepost]
At least I can use my free provided adapter from Apple.
That adaptor is one ugly two headed snake.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Ehm, you can use Lightning headphones on all iPhones that is out now with a Lightning port. So you have had that ability for years already.

But the question is, why have no one even bothered to use that yet?

Because no one gives a rat ass about it, because it doesn't make sense to 'just use another port' just for the sake of changing something to get the exact same sound quality (and nothing that actually IS better) as we do get over the 3.5mm minijack.

And when other manufacturers start moving to just using a USB-C connector. Will you feel the same?

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I would think this is an ironic moment for Beats to release a headphone with 3.5 mm jack.
Anyway, I don't have the budget to buy not-good-sound-quality beats headphone.
It's possible they want to send a message to non-iPhone users that Beats will not be abandoning the analogue jack completely. They don't want that market to dry up.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.