Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chargerboy87

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2023
This started happening to my two chargers. Best solution is to unplug it and plug it back in. Works right away. I have to do this maybe every other day or two. Until Belkin comes up with a solution this is your best bet for now.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
All I can say is, sure glad I bought this from Costco! My did this a month ago. No idea this was a widespread issue. Costco returned it with out a question.

And with so many people reporting the same issue….I have to think this might be an iOS issue, not a Belkin issue…just a thought.
I’m going to return mine back to Costco. I don’t have time to wait on Belkin. I’ll just find an alternative.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It's funny how most people commenting here completely miss the "coincidence" that it's all happening in the last few weeks and shamelessly blame Belkin without any proof. This is most likely* an iOS issue or at least caused by some discrepancy between the versions of iOS available when this charger was developed and now. Might be that Apple changed magsafe communications or power nogotiation procedure and under certain circumstances they refuse to get reconnected again until restarted (in my case it's the phone that needs to be rebooted).

It's happened twice to my 12 mini a week or so ago with the 2nd gen 3in1 charger (WIZ017vfBK EU model). The magsafe charging animation would show, but in the morning the phone would be almost dead and in the battery chart you can see it just started charging for a while then stopped. I just rebooted the phone each time and it was charging again, hasn't happened ever since and the charger hasn't been unplugged from the wall for a few months now.

(*) Only other explanation for this coincidence would be high outside temperatures since i guess most of the people reporting here are from northern hemisphere, but then again most people using Magsafe devices probably also use AC anyway ;)
My iPhone 12PM is on iOS 14.1 and still experiencing the same problem. It will not charger unless I unplug it and plug it back up.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Wow the timing of this… I’ve been wanting this product ever since they first dropped and finally bit the bullet last week and got a few refurbs directly from belkin with their Labor Day discount code. Paid $140 for three chargers (one 3-1 for the wife, one 2-1, and their basic MagSafe tilt stand charger, all indistinguishable from new). I’ve absolutely loved them so far.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Wow the timing of this… I’ve been wanting this product ever since they first dropped and finally bit the bullet last week and got a few refurbs directly from belkin with their Labor Day discount code. Paid $140 for three chargers (one 3-1 for the wife, one 2-1, and their basic MagSafe tilt stand charger, all indistinguishable from new). I’ve absolutely loved them so far.
Timing is certainly…Wow. It might be the reason they are selling so many at discounts. Off setting the number of returns with those who will just throw them away. Nah… they wouldn’t do that would they?

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

YoungConsumer

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
I’m glad I found this article. I’ve been having that issue for the last several months. Hope they come up with a fix or some type of refund or something

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
This sucks. Mine crapped out about a month or two ago - iPhone 13 Pro Max w/Apple MagSafe case would just stop charging. The rest of it worked fine (middle AirPod that would charge a phone, but slowly) and the Watch puck. The Watch puck never completely crapped out - but occasionally the watch would start and stop charging repeatedly a few times for no reason.

Same solution too - resetting phone did nothing, you have to unplug and plug in the charger to get it to work.

I contacted Belkin several weeks ago about it, and they RMA'd it last week and a replacement is on the way. My charger is 30 months old and out of warranty, but they are replacing it anyway. I'm hoping they fixed whatever the issue was instead of just sending me a replacement unit.

I'll know more in a few days.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
I finally got one myself just last month. I’m really sorry to hear of those that have broke. I hope you all manage to sort it. 🤞

(I also hope this doesn’t happen to mine…)

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
If this started happening around the beginning of August, my suspicion is that iOS 16.6 did something. Maybe it's incorrectly handshaking, asking for too much power, or something like that.
It reminds me of all those clone lightning chargers that came out after Apple switched over to them. They work fine for months - then suddenly the phone won't recognize them anymore.

Is it possible Apple pushed out an update to iOS that modifies the handshaking with the puck? Maybe - have there been a bunch of Magsafe puck clones out on the market? Ah yes! There are!

So all it takes is for Apple to push out a firmware update to the pucks, and Belkin didn't get it - even though I heard that they use Apple-supplied pucks.

afriedl

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Those Belkin Chargers get indeed FW Updates on a regular basis. You can check this under Settings - General - About
(the iPhone has to be on the Charger for 1-2 Min in order the menu appears)

Belkin_Charger_FW.png

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
Those Belkin Chargers get indeed FW Updates on a regular basis. You can check this under Settings - General - About

View attachment 2253550
Good to know! Is there a way how to force the FW update? (I’ve recently realized that one of my chargers suffers from the bug too, but another is fine - version of both is the same as on your screenshot though.)

Reactions: addamas

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Timing is certainly…Wow. It might be the reason they are selling so many at discounts. Off setting the number of returns with those who will just throw them away. Nah… they wouldn’t do that would they?
I honestly don't know, but if I have a shred of an issue during the warranty period, I will demand a full refund/return rather than replacement. I have a 24/7 on-call job and cannot run the risk of a charger not working and my phone dying in the middle of the night. Typically I don't go below 40-ish percent for that reason, but I can't always make that happen.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

View attachment 2253550

I remember when I first bought one of these there was some confusion because there are two versions of this but look exactly the same. One is model WIZ009 that does not have fast charging and the WIZ017 that does. I wonder if both have the problem or just one of those models/firmware version does? I have the WIZ017 that does not currently have the issue. My Firmware version is different than yours 267.0.0.0 and hardware version is the same as yours. HMMMMM

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
It's funny how most people commenting here completely miss the "coincidence" that it's all happening in the last few weeks and shamelessly blame Belkin without any proof. This is most likely* an iOS issue or at least caused by some discrepancy between the versions of iOS available when this charger was developed and now. Might be that Apple changed magsafe communications or power nogotiation procedure and under certain circumstances they refuse to get reconnected again until restarted (in my case it's the phone that needs to be rebooted).

It's happened twice to my 12 mini a week or so ago with the 2nd gen 3in1 charger (WIZ017vfBK EU model). The magsafe charging animation would show, but in the morning the phone would be almost dead and in the battery chart you can see it just started charging for a while then stopped. I just rebooted the phone each time and it was charging again, hasn't happened ever since and the charger hasn't been unplugged from the wall for a few months now.

(*) Only other explanation for this coincidence would be high outside temperatures since i guess most of the people reporting here are from northern hemisphere, but then again most people using Magsafe devices probably also use AC anyway ;)
Agree it’s likely an iOS issue but when you buy an MFi certified product with Apple’s proprietary connection there shouldn’t be problems, or if there are the manufacturer and Apple work to resolve it immediately

jason.yeung

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
While taking a look at the battery level, I noticed that MagSafe on Belkin was keep disconnecting and connecting many times over the night(i.e. I put the phone on the Belkin MagSafe overnight).
Another test I did was from 9am to 10:30am on an official MagSafe charger, it didn't produce the "dot-line".
I'll stop using the Belkin now I think and ask for replacement from Belkin.

Attachments

• C912ED6B-6C17-4BD5-92D2-DF1F2BE7061B_1_201_a.jpeg
    C912ED6B-6C17-4BD5-92D2-DF1F2BE7061B_1_201_a.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
I remember when I first bought one of these there was some confusion because there are two versions of this but look exactly the same. One is model WIZ009 that does not have fast charging and the WIZ017 that does. I wonder if both have the problem or just one of those models/firmware version does? I have the WIZ017 that does not currently have the issue. My Firmware version is different than yours 267.0.0.0 and hardware version is the same as yours. HMMMMM
My 3-in-1's model # is WIZ016, Firmware 274.0.0.0, Hardware Rev MPFW. 30 months old now, well outside the 2-year warranty. Belkin is replacing it and told me to toss this one in the trash once I receive the new one.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
I have the wiz009mybk model running 275.0.0.0 and it works just fine still. 🤞

If Belkin told you to throw your WIZ016 in the trash then it has to be a hardware related fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.