Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Strangely, my MagSafe and watch charging has always worked (and continues to work) properly as it should, but, the little wireless charger at the base for the AirPods rarely works. Many nights I’ll hear the charging chime of the AirPods Pro 2 at some random time while sleeping.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It's frustrating for me too.

I have the flat one, which was the nicest charger I could find that would allow me to use a watch with the Milanese loop.
It's really nicely built and overall I like it quite a bit.

I do dislike Belkin for what they did when they first came out as a "premium cable" company. Back in the day, you could walk into CompUSA (remember them?) and pick up computer cables for your printer or modem for $1.99-$2.99.

Then came Belkin: $24 for the same cables (just a bit prettier - Oh! a gold-plated centronics connector?) and all the cheap ones disappeared because they were designed specifically to be high profit items.

So to me, they are an overpriced accessory manufacturer, the cost of this item pretty much confirms that is what they still are. But again, they sent me a free replacement with no hassles.
They called me to see what my firmware was. I was at work so I couldn’t answer the call. I’m assuming they are thinking a firmware update will fix the issue, instead of sending a replacement. They are too expensive for these issues to occur. Even their cables are too expensive for me.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
It's been several days and my older Belkin just won't update from 274.0.0.0 to 275.0.0.0.

While it's possible that an update is not needed, it is the same HW revision as the newer one. Perhaps it's possible that the failures we are seeing are due to a failed FW update? That is, 274 or whatever version is present - attempts to update the firmware and it fails during the update process. This can hang up the puck as it fails to restart and it'll refuse to start charging.

This can also explain why pulling the plug fixes the problem temporarily, as powering up the puck just has it boot up using the old firmware. Then it will work OK for the next few days until it again attempts a firmware update, repeating the process.

It can also explain why Belkin is "looking into the issue" as if the units are somehow incapable of updating successfully, there's no way to fix it.

I'm still keeping an eye on the older unit waiting until it either updates or decides to stop working again.

rubikwizard

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2023
Mine started playing up a couple of months ago, but it is very intermittent - occasionally wake up in the morning with no charge, and even when it does charge I hear it connecting/disconnecting several times during the night. It has firmware 275.0.0.0.

Belkin have sent me a replacement charger but told me to keep or throw away the old one (I'll keep it!). The new one has so far been okay but it has only been a few days, so time will tell. Interesting the new replacement has the older firmware 267.0.0.0. I guess at some point this will update to 275.0.0.0 - will be interesting to see if the problems then start ...

Last edited:

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Belkin have sent me a replacement charger but told me to keep or throw away the old one (I'll keep it!). The new one has so far been okay but it has only been a few days, so time will tell. Interesting the new replacement has the older firmware 167.0.0.0. I guess at some point this will update to 275.0.0.0 - will be interesting to see if the problems then start ...

It should update in 24-72 hours. Mine did. So far my replacement works fine.

I did notice (now that you mention the charging starting and stopping) my Apple watch on the old charger doing the same. But in that case it was at 100%, so it may just be topping off.

For my old one, when it stopped, the iPhone 13 just ignored it. I have an older iPhone without MagSafe, and the Qi-based charging on it did not work either. The puck was totally dead.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
While taking a look at the battery level, I noticed that MagSafe on Belkin was keep disconnecting and connecting many times over the night(i.e. I put the phone on the Belkin MagSafe overnight).
Another test I did was from 9am to 10:30am on an official MagSafe charger, it didn't produce the "dot-line".
I'll stop using the Belkin now I think and ask for replacement from Belkin.
I had the exact same graph when I was charging over night a few weeks ago.

I removed it from my nightstand and I’m just using it for top up during the day at my WFH desk. For some reason the dotted battery graph and intermittent charging hasn’t happened since

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I've had the same issue and my replacement running 275.0.0.0 didn't charge last night. I unplugged and plugged in again and it is working for the moment. I still have the old stand up unit, the one I actually want. They replaced it with the flat version. I am hoping the old one might be fixable when/if they get to the bottom of it. I think probably not though, as it will have no way to communicate with the phone. That will not charge at all no matter how much I unplug and plug in. Such a shame to pay so much for something and then have if flake out like some cheap Chinese knockoff brand.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
I've had the same issue and my replacement running 275.0.0.0 didn't charge last night. I unplugged and plugged in again and it is working for the moment. I still have the old stand up unit, the one I actually want. They replaced it with the flat version. I am hoping the old one might be fixable when/if they get to the bottom of it. I think probably not though, as it will have no way to communicate with the phone. That will not charge at all no matter how much I unplug and plug in. Such a shame to pay so much for something and then have if flake out like some cheap Chinese knockoff brand.
A quick question: are you using the same power cord or are you using the new one provided with the replacement?

Since getting my replacement, my old and new one have not acted up so I have not had time to try that experiment.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
A quick question: are you using the same power cord or are you using the new one provided with the replacement?

Since getting my replacement, my old and new one have not acted up so I have not had time to try that experiment.
The new power cord with the replacement unit. Just tried the new power cord with the old unit and it didn’t work.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I received 2 replacement docks, one with the faster watch charging and one without. Will check the firmware versions to see what they're on and if/when issues develop

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
My 3-in-1 stand has crapped out too. Unplugging fixes is temporarily. Just filed a claim to Belkin but doubt they will do much since it's 2,5 years old, but you never know.

How does one see the firmware on these?

Reactions: dadoc04

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
My 3-in-1 stand has crapped out too. Unplugging fixes is temporarily. Just filed a claim to Belkin but doubt they will do much since it's 2,5 years old, but you never know.

How does one see the firmware on these?
Mine was old like yours and they replaced it. Standard warranty on this item is 2 years in the US.

To see the firmware revision, put it on the MagSafe charger and wait 2 minutes.
Without removing it, unlock the phone and go to Settings->General->About and scroll down, it's about 2/3 of the way down.

Reactions: lamerica80

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
Mine was old like yours and they replaced it. Standard warranty on this item is 2 years in the US.

To see the firmware revision, put it on the MagSafe charger and wait 2 minutes.
Without removing it, unlock the phone and go to Settings->General->About and scroll down, it's about 2/3 of the way down.
I had to wait about 5 minutes for some reason.

Mines just failed for the third time. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to correct for a while. (I am guessing he Firmware update keeps corrupting somewhere)

dstow

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2021
Has anyone noticed belkin have two SKU's of this charger?

The first seems a newer SKU with OFFICIAL MagSafe in the title with iPhone 15 compatible marketing

3-in-1 Wireless Charger with Official MagSafe Charging 15W

note: "Belkin's Best Seller 3-in-1 Wireless Charging Station now improved with Apple Watch Fast Charger, delivering 33% faster charging speed for Apple Watch Series 8."

The latter here on sale, seems to be the older variant, with potential issue?

3-in-1 Wireless Charger with MagSafe 15W

Last edited:

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
The two models have been discussed on this very thread already. I have the older non fast charging unit and mine has always worked just fine.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I’m sending mine back tomorrow and ordered a replacement brand. I will not buying anything from Belkin again.
My wife’s 3-1 just started this issue a few days back. I just chatted with belkin and they refused to refund or replace. I haven’t even had it a month and got it directly from them. Great way to permanently lose a customer, belkin!

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
My wife’s 3-1 just started this issue a few days back. I just chatted with belkin and they refused to refund or replace. I haven’t even had it a month and got it directly from them. Great way to permanently lose a customer, belkin!
Don't chat with them.
Go to their warranty page and request an RMA. They will ask for model, serial number, description of the problem and a copy of the receipt.

Then wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.