Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
$2 is nothing, and well spent money on Airmail. Although lately it has been crashing fairly often for me with the latest update. Not such a hassle though, still less hassle than Apple mail, however I am sure Apple will bring their version up to speed with the massive drop out when Mavericks hit.

roboGc

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
goldcoast australia
$2 is nothing, and well spent money on Airmail. Although lately it has been crashing fairly often for me with the latest update. Not such a hassle though, still less hassle than Apple mail, however I am sure Apple will bring their version up to speed with the massive drop out when Mavericks hit.

Uhhh 10.9.3 is mavericks so why say " when mavericks hits " when it's already out , iv had no issues with airmail it's perfect and for free I'm happy , I haven't owned a mac for several years so I just googled " top 100 mac apps " and airmail was there

And sum people are weird on piracy i download all my stuff for free I'm a pirate arrrrh :D

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I sometimes feel am a loner in the sense I have used quite a few third party email clients including Airmail, and yet I still come back to native mail app, has always worked flawlessly for me. Everyone here so far does not seem to like the native app :confused:

RandomCitizen

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2014
Goldsboro, NC
I sometimes feel am a loner in the sense I have used quite a few third party email clients including Airmail, and yet I still come back to native mail app, has always worked flawlessly for me. Everyone here so far does not seem to like the native app :confused:

The native app and I have never gotten along. First off, I've had config problems with it and even had to go to the Genius Bar to figure it out. I used it for 3 3/4 years before I switched. I just found Postbox more versatile. That's all.

fcomstoc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I have used sparrow since I got my first mac, love the combined inbox and simple interface.

As for the reminders and calendar you really should use iCloud, it works by default on all your macs and iDevices and you can get the iCloud app for Windows(Outlook) if you must use that.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Long time postbox user here on both my Mac and PC. Just started using Airmail today. Will I stay with it? Not sure yet. It's got a nice interface, and so far it works well with gmail and my verizon accounts. For $1.99, it's definitely worth checking out.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
If it's IMAP doesn't it stay on the server, and when you delete it it's only in the webmail trash and in your 'trash' in mac mail for like 30 days anyways? (Even still I think it's showing you what's on the server and didn't actually download it/store it unless you put it "on my mac"

Yes, with IMAP the messages and attachments are kept on the server unless intentionally deleted; however, my issue was that Mail.app can't be configured to not download and store any attachments locally. It always downloads media attachments such as images, PDFs, videos and audio files, which in my case take up a considerable amount of space.

With Airmail I can choose to download attachments (all types) only if I specifically want them. Another option would have been to use Gmail's web interface.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
It takes less time to be ****ing smartaas and just answer someone's questions without having to be the forum police.

Really? It's quite boring seeing the same topics getting remade every few days when there is already countless discussion all over the forum. Yes, the moderation is pretty terrible here which allows it to happen, so user driven attempts to halt the spamfest of reposts is all there is.

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
I don't wish to perpetuate a flamefest but the OP did ask for people's advice on mail clients. I personally don't see the problem with that. I don't know if a Google search would achieve that.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You folks made some suggestions but what in particular do you like about those apps you suggested? What makes it a better app (for you) than Mail?

guy curlewis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Postbox

I have tried most of them and Postbox works for me.

• simple
  • uncluttered
  • handles attachments well
  • good for handling IMAP
  • has ToDoist plugin which is fantastic

tuthill

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Search Google for reviews

You folks made some suggestions but what in particular do you like about those apps you suggested? What makes it a better app (for you) than Mail?

The next best way, other than to try them first, to determine whether the features match your needs is to conduct a Google search for:

"Airmail review"
"Postbox review"

Etc.

There are numerous email client comparisons right in this forum that you can filter down to by searching for "email".

Of course the best way is to try them yourself. In order to test Airmail you will have to put out a small cash outlay but Postbox has a trial.

Good luck.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Really? It's quite boring seeing the same topics getting remade every few days when there is already countless discussion all over the forum. Yes, the moderation is pretty terrible here which allows it to happen, so user driven attempts to halt the spamfest of reposts is all there is.

Dude, there's a scroll wheel on your mouse. Please learn how to use it to scroll past what you don't want to see. I hate self imposed forum cops. Either help the guy out or shut the **** up and move on.

----------

I use Airmail but Sparrow is still a great alternative for the iPhone too. I always did love Sparrow.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Thanks to those who suggested Airmail. I just downloaded it, set it up and love it. The interface is beautiful. Thank you! :D

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The next best way, other than to try them first, to determine whether the features match your needs is to conduct a Google search for:

"Airmail review"
"Postbox review"

Etc.

There are numerous email client comparisons right in this forum that you can filter down to by searching for "email".

Of course the best way is to try them yourself. In order to test Airmail you will have to put out a small cash outlay but Postbox has a trial.

Good luck.

I appreciate your comment but was simply curious as to what people here are looking for beyond "Mail." I admit that I miss certain facets of Outlook (from a past job) and also from Lotus Notes email. I have to smile having been long long ago an administrator for a multi-state set up of an ancient email system - CC:Mail all ran on OS/2 plus my rather sleek REXX maintenance scripts/programming.

So, what do you like about your mail app over "Mail" in particular?

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia

For one, I prefer Thunderbird's community development. Like its add-ons such as Lightning Calendar and the Google Calendar add-on which allows me to sync calendars between GCal (and iOS devices) and my Mac Mini and Macbook Air.

It also allows me to track Google Tasks, again across all platforms.

I like to create folders to store emails for archiving or other purposes. I don't know if Mail can do this easily.

I like how when I'm reading an email in a full window, when finished I can delete it and the next unread email opens up in a window.

Basically, it has more functions, useful functions, than what Mail has.

Finally, coming from a Windows environment (and at work I still work with Windows) it's the closest thing to Outlook that there is (Outlook for Mac is largely useless for me). And being free, and advert-free it is the obvious thing to try out. If you don't like it, move on. Try another mail application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.