Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
jerry, hope you don't mind I jump in here with a question!

I just learned something new so thanks for asking that question.

I have also use outlook for YEARS and wanted to stay away trying to just not add another level on top of macmail. But a few items are still not working well.

I constantly cut and paste from excel spreadsheets in to emai but with mac mail it loses the formatting. I have searched and the only alternative I found was having to paste into word and then into mail.

I also cannot figure out how to drag and drop one email into another.

It used to work (I think) but now if I am e-mailing someone and I want to say "see in the attached email" I can't just drag and drop it.

Do you guys know how to do either of these.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I also cannot figure out how to drag and drop one email into another.

Just tried this. I simply dragged an email (from the message list) into a new message I was composing. It becomes "Mail Attachment.eml". I sent it. On the receiving end it appears and clicking on it opens the message. I verified that it also worked when sending it to Outlook on a Windows machine.

The current Mac I'm using doesn't have Excel installed so I can't check your other issue.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Just tried this. I simply dragged an email (from the message list) into a new message I was composing. It becomes "Mail Attachment.eml". I sent it. On the receiving end it appears and clicking on it opens the message. I verified that it also worked when sending it to Outlook on a Windows machine.

The current Mac I'm using doesn't have Excel installed so I can't check your other issue.

Well I will have to try that..it always looked weird so I didn't think it worked!!

just tried it and looks like it worked !! not sure why I thought it didn't ..duh...
I sent it to someone with a windows based system to just to make sure it worked

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I constantly cut and paste from excel spreadsheets in to emai but with mac mail it loses the formatting. I have searched and the only alternative I found was having to paste into word and then into mail.

I'm now at home and have Excel. I created a new mail message and made sure "Rich Text" formatting was selected. I then pasted a section of an Excel spread sheet, a section of LibreOffice spreadsheet, and a section of Numbers spreadsheet, each with cell background and font formatting.

I sent the message to an Outlook account and to standard POP account I can read in Mail. The Excel and Numbers spreadsheets came out with correct formatting both when read within Microsoft Outlook Web App (I don't have Outlook at home) and in Mail. The LibreOffice spreadsheet had column spacing issues in Outlook Web App.

So I don't see why you can't get it to work.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Most advisable email client

Hello,

I have been migrating from Windows to rMBP and I need to transfer all my email accounts.

I have always used Thunderbird as Windows email client. My first question is what is the most advisable email client for a rMBP.

As to this please note that nearly all my mailbox are IMAP (Google and Yahoo) and that I usually save locally, under Local Folders, copy of the received and sent emails.

Secondly, I wonder if there an easy way to migrate the mailboxes and the local folder from Windows Thunderbird to the chosen client in rMBP.

Thanks for the usual great help.

Daniele

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is thunderbird for OS X, did you look at that? I would assume for your needs this would be the best.

I personally, like the included email app, but there's also postbox if you want try them

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I use Postbox, which was based on Thunderbird.

For migration of the IMAP accounts, you can just enter the account info and have it download all your folders. If the local folders are just copies of online, you don't need to do anything else.

For POP, there is an importer. I've never used it.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Is it? I didn't know this. Is Postbox a completely separate app at this point or do they include the Thunderbird updates and design changes?

Yeah, it began as a fork of Thunderbird by the former lead developer, but now it has lots of non-Thunderbird features, its own add-ons, etc. The feel of it is a lot more Mac-like, too.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use Apple's email which works well with all my accounts. Thunderbird for OS X would be my second choice and since you are already using it in Windows, it would seem to be the most obvious one for you. I would also think it very easy to migrate everything over from the Windows edition.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
another app for mail ?

Hello,

i was wondering if anyones uses, or knows of, another mail app...

one that'll support push emails like the iPhone ?

for example -

when i receive an email to my hotmail account, it gets pushed straight to my iPhone too ...

but my mac, has to check hotmail's website on regular intervals to see if theirs any new email ?

Many thanks,

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I haven't used Postbox in years, I forget what it can/cannot do - sorry :(

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Postbox, like Thunderbird (and Airmail), uses the IMAP IDLE command with servers like Gmail that support it. That means notifications of new mail are sent immediately upon receipt.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
Postbox, like Thunderbird (and Airmail), uses the IMAP IDLE command with servers like Gmail that support it. That means notifications of new mail are sent immediately upon receipt.

thanks for this reply - you've quoted that 'gmail' will support push within airmail, does that mean that outlook (hotmail) will not ?

I've got 2 hotmail accounts, set up with apples 'mail' app ...

but neither of them send emails trough like they do on the phone...

apples mail app, will only check for new emails on regular intervals :/

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
thanks for this reply - you've quoted that 'gmail' will support push within airmail, does that mean that outlook (hotmail) will not ?

The mail server needs to support the IMAP IDLE command. Sorry, I'm not familiar with Hotmail to say either way if it does or not. I'm sure someone else will be able to.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
The mail server needs to support the IMAP IDLE command. Sorry, I'm not familiar with Hotmail to say either way if it does or not. I'm sure someone else will be able to.

thanks for reeponse, sorry for late reply.
yeah i set up outlook manually with the Mac 'app'.
searched forums, websites etc -
but apartmently the Mac app doesn't support push for outlook/hotmail.

so was just curious is any other app out thier exists that'll send the email straight to my Mac when it's reeieved in the inbox, (like my iPhone does)

I'll have a search around - thanks again

dawn2duskpt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
I prefer mail.app because it is lighter in terms of cpu and memory usage. I don't need extra features for my email client and I like to stay with software that is integrated into the OS if possible.

I can't say the same. Mail.app uses more than 70% CPU and usually more than 137% sometimes 400%. I've 11 mailboxes. Postbox is a lightweight champion app, yet its search engine is far less powerful than mail.app. I also miss the smart mailbox mail.app offers.

Any trick to get mail.app less cpu's glutton?

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2009
Best email client

Hey I have some yahoo and gmail accounts. With my yahoo account i have over 20 folders with filters to sort incoming emails

Now I bought a Mac book pro running Yosemite on it. Whats the best email app for my scenario?

Thanks in advance!

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Quick question about push notification

Can someone please explain me what does push notification mean..?

Am I wrong thinking that push notifications should work even when an app is closed..?

For example, on my iPhone, I get push notifications even when apps are closed (whatsapp, Facebook.....) but all mail clients i've tried didn't offer that kind of service. only when the app is open, i get notifications from it...
Am I missing something...?

Thanks,
Tal

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Am I missing something...?

Yes. OS X is designed so that you can launch applications and then never close them (just close the window - ⌘W or the red button). Then you will continue to get the notifications. Properly written applications consume little resources when not being used, so you can have dozens running with little impact.

----------

I can't say the same. Mail.app uses more than 70% CPU and usually more than 137% sometimes 400%. I've 11 mailboxes. Postbox is a lightweight champion app, yet its search engine is far less powerful than mail.app. I also miss the smart mailbox mail.app offers.

Any trick to get mail.app less cpu's glutton?

You have something wrong. I've got 5 POP, 2 Exchange, and an iCloud (IMAP) account and it barely blips the gauges except when checking mail. You can control the rate at which it does mail checks. If it is consuming all that CPU all the time you should try rebuilding the mailboxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.