Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
My eyes are still a bit blurry from not having my sunglasses on when I spied that front pic of the Arris cable modem...

OP, go get some electrical tape for that sunspot! :D

Lol yeah that's why I keep the whole setup in kitchen on top of a cabinet haha. If that was in my room I'd loose it.

I do occasionally suntan under it

Reactions: campyguy

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I have had a great experience with the Asus; I can't say the same for the Netgear it replaced however.

I'd imagine your Fios router could still be a modem and Asus take the place of all your wifi/Ethernet clients. What I do. Have a cable modem and sends internet to router and router handles everything else.

Highly recommend Asus. Plenty of coverage for our ~2000 sq ft home, tons of options... TONS and plenty of control over kids wifi devices. Speeds seem same to me in real world as Netgear I last had so no complaints there either.

I believe FIOS has their modem and router all in one. What you want to do is put the router portion in "bridge mode"... that essentially just passes through the signal so you can use your own router like the Asus. If you Google "verizon fios bridge mode" you will find instructions for your particular model. For example here.

I have an Asus RT-AC68P that I really like.

thanks ill check it out

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
May I ask OP, why do you need to upgrade?

Absolutely mate. Upgraded from a Netgear X4/7500V2. And I upgraded because of a lot of reasons that are mentioned through out this thread. Mainly every time power flashes it was loosing all settings. Then the last update broke a plethora of things, namely FTP that previous to update worked fine. I really wanted more/better controls of kids iPads etc as they're starting to get older. Other main reason I upgraded is 8 Ethernet ports on 88U.

It's night and day difference. I'm so glad. Asus has a LOT of advantages over Netgear. Netgear instabilities and wanting me to pay for hardware support question drove me away. I can not consciously recommend Netgear any longer.

Anything you'd like me to be more specific about let me know?

Reactions: Weaselboy

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
fd4c6b9c48beea1bd82246f072dae1c5.png

433fc34443796467c83a852b5d924d61.png

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
The thing with Ubiquity and MESH-networks is: as said, 5 GHz is only good for the immediate vicinity. Walls are a problem.
What you do is to place an AP in each room and dial down the wireless power output so that it covers just that room (placing it strategically so that it covers most of the area you want cover for).

The result is a smooth, wireless network that "feels" the same in all the parts of the house/apartment where you want it.

Have an old house, with thick walls. One old Asus router (DSL-N55U) in the middle of the house downstairs, doesn't do too bad a job of keeping everything running OK - but the new ATV4 in our bedroom, all the way down the hall, could do with some network boosting...

I'm watching the Mesh 'scene' closely, and will hang-on until the prices come down a bit. Thought long and hard about going the wired-extender route – after realising wifi-extenders would probably be more hassle, for less performance – but was put-off by the possibility of hand-off issues.

Not sure whether all routers allow one to dial down the wifi output(???) - but don't you struggle with anything hand-off related? By hand-off, AFAIK, is meant: Wife/kids walk into room A, and device picks up Router 1 - moving down the hall into Room E, with Extender 3 - but the device is still clinging on dearly to Router 1 that it picked up initially, and flat-out ignores the supposedly stronger Extender 3 for signal...

Is that not a possibly legitimate issue that mesh-networking allegedly solves?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

Thanks,
I was asking because I upgraded from a 2008 Linksys to a Netgear r7000. It had like 5 star reviews at Amazon from like 3k+ people. Surely they can't be wrong. When I got it I didn't feel internet was any faster or better. Wifi coverage area was bigger by about 5 meter radius, but nothing earth shattering. I realized then all routers just do the same thing.

Your needs though seem to be more complex than the average user.

Reactions: blaine07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.