Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Do Asus routers work better with Apple products than Netgear? I was looking at the Nighthawk series and they seem pretty decent. Thanks.

I have been using a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 for about six months with zero issues. 1700sf house, two story. 10 devices connected, 2 ethernet. 5ghz in all areas.

But I am looking at replacing it with something that will do port aggregation. I want to attach a NAS that uses two ethernet connections to get up to 2gbps speeds.

Reactions: blaine07

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I have been using a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 for about six months with zero issues. 1700sf house, two story. 10 devices connected, 2 ethernet. 5ghz in all areas.

But I am looking at replacing it with something that will do port aggregation. I want to attach a NAS that uses two ethernet connections to get up to 2gbps speeds.

I'm glad you've had good luck with it mate. Isn't for me, that's for sure. Have you ever updated its firmware? Are you on newest release of 1.0.3.4?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Old or not it works and it still performs just as good as a $500 router
If you're using a small amount of devices, sure. Routers lose speed on overhead, the more devices you place in the queue, the more it loses to each device. So what may seem fine to you may struggle with 10-15 active clients. Performance and quality wise, the Archer C8 falls short of the AC68, which is not a $500 router, it's way cheaper than that. The Archer C7 is terrible compared to the AC68.

If Router A has a total bandwidth capability of 1200 Mbps and Router B has a capability of 1000 Mbps, but router A has a far slower processor than router B, router B will be able to provide more end-client performance than the higher bandwidth router. From wired to wireless connection. And that's scratching the surface. Quality of components and how well the firmware was developed also control what you lose by the time you get the signal. If it were as simple as what you say, people would be able to use the same router for 6-7 years at a time.

Last edited:

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
If you're using a small amount of devices, sure. Routers lose speed on overhead, the more devices you place in the queue, the more it loses to each device. So what may seem fine to you may struggle with 10-15 active clients. Performance and quality wise, the Archer C8 falls short of the AC68, which is not a $500 router, it's way cheaper than that. The Archer C7 is terrible compared to the AC68.

If Router A has a total bandwidth capability of 1200 Mbps and Router B has a capability of 1000 Mbps, but router A has a far slower processor than router B, router B will be able to provide more end-client performance than the higher bandwidth router. From wired to wireless connection. And that's scratching the surface. Quality of components and how well the firmware was developed also control what you lose by the time you get the signal. If it were as simple as what you say, people would be able to use the same router for 6-7 years at a time.

Eh... 12 devices here, 2 gaming systems and no problems.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
At the same time, using active in/out connect sans your Linksys access point? I have around 20 devices and my AC68 is choked out at times.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
I use a Synology RT1900 and its great. The GUI is probably the best out there and it has some nice control features and all of the DLNA, FTP, VPN goodies.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Is DLNA still going? I thought I read that it was being replaced.

What is the router doing with FTP?

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
OP...are you talking about the R7500? I have an R7000 and its rock solid.

Yes. X4 7500V2

I think a lot of my problems, At least recently, may be firmware related. But as long as I've had it power flash causes router to restore to factory default so suspect that's hardware as it's done it as long as I've had it.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The thing with Ubiquity and MESH-networks is: as said, 5 GHz is only good for the immediate vicinity. Walls are a problem.
What you do is to place an AP in each room and dial down the wireless power output so that it covers just that room (placing it strategically so that it covers most of the area you want cover for).

The result is a smooth, wireless network that "feels" the same in all the parts of the house/apartment where you want it.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Latest firmware. What issues did you have with it?

They've been spoke about in this thread in detail but in short... every time power flashes/goes off router resets to factory settings like KAM may be dead? I always wondered if it had a small Watch battery on main board to provide energy to store those settings but never been brave enough to open it. Router last week randomly only had power light on and didn't function. Tried to reset it and got the same, one lone power light. Tried to factory reset per Netgear instructions with paper clip and nothing. After messing with it for a hour gave up and presumed it dead. A hour later it randomly started working and was factory reset. The other day it had the same IP listed for multiple devices on network and caused chaos with my schedule for turning off wifi to kids iPads at night. I had to get Mac ID of each device to straighten it out and it's still a mess and had to expire DHCP leases etc. headache. It doesn't properly identify what's wired and wireless. Shows a bunch of stuff as wired that most certainly isn't. Doesn't identify devices on network correctly. And the deal breaker is when last firmware update came out and broke FTP access. Have HDDs on USB ports and have had it set to require password for FTP access whole time I've had it. Now when a password is set, no folders or device contents populate. On no password set nothing populates from HDDs.

So a plethora of problems. I have factory reset and "start over" and no dice. It's done the loose all settings every time power flashes as long as I've had it. It's basically just a ton of work to keep "working" and doesn't 100% work as it should even when it is working. I've invested countless hours of my time into trying to get it to work properly and I'm done with it. I'm no pro by any means but I'm certainly not novice.

As stated earlier my new Asus 88U is on its way. Paid $200 for this Netgear last Christmas. I'd gift it to a family member but I don't want to be stuck providing tech support for ever for it

Reactions: bopajuice

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Got my router from Amazon a bit ago... and as luck would have it its someone else's broke return upon taking it out of box noticed some scratches on top of unit. Upon closer inspection noticed someone had used a ball point pin to hit the slightly recessed reset button.

I have horrible luck with routers. Set it up and re-used SSID and password from Netgear. Everything was fine... then I got on status page and everything 2.4 was thrown off network.

Yes, it has latest firmware

Amazon was good about it; I'll have its replacement Tuesday

cb346376ec9173a0919471f897ba0bbe.jpg

4d78f8ef7b84b1396023dc7536192135.jpg

piperbarb

macrumors newbie
I'm glad you've had good luck with it mate. Isn't for me, that's for sure. Have you ever updated its firmware? Are you on newest release of 1.0.3.4?
Actually, the newest firmware release is V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 for the Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

I replaced my AirPort Extreme 5th gen with the Netgear Nighthawk router earlier this week. I have a 1500 sq ft single-floor house. I can access my network anywhere in the house with an excellent signal, plus in the basement. The signal was always very poor in the basement with the AirPort Extreme.

My poor AirPort Extreme was starting to act flaky and not be reliable anymore, plus it just couldn't handle all the streaming video from my new, upgraded 10 TB NAS (which I have had for 2 weeks). It kept buffering everything streaming via my Roku. I can have 22 devices connected at once to the network. Although the AirPort Extreme was supposed to handle up to 50 devices, it was groaning when all those devices were on the network. It was a good router but it could no longer keep up with my LAN demands. Also, file transfers would slow down as files were being copied to/from any two devices.

I have had Netgear before and had no problems until they became outdated and too slow. This new one has had no problems. It works just as well with MacOS as it does with Ubuntu-Mate Linux. I don't have a Windows device in the house so I cannot say how it would work with that OS. I also like that I can access the router from Linux or MacOS. That was something I could not do with AirPort Extreme very easily.

YMMV.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Actually, the newest firmware release is V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 for the Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

I replaced my AirPort Extreme 5th get with the Netgear Nighthawk router earlier this week. I have a 1500 sq ft single-floor house. I can access my network anywhere in the house with an excellent signal, plus in the basement. The signal was always very poor in the basement with the AirPort Extreme.

My poor AirPort Extreme was starting to act flaky and not be reliable anymore, plus it just couldn't handle all the streaming video from my new, upgraded 10 TB NAS (which I have had for 2 weeks). It kept buffering everything streaming via my Roku. I can have 22 devices connected at once to the network. Although the AirPort Extreme was supposed to handle up to 50 devices, it was groaning when all those devices were on the network. It was a good router but it could no longer keep up with my LAN demands. Also, file transfers would slow down as files were being copied to/from any two devices.

I have had Netgear before and had no problems until they became outdated and too slow. This new one has had no problems. It works just as well with MacOS as it does with Ubuntu-Mate Linux. I don't have a Windows device in the house so I cannot say how it would work with that OS. I also like that I can access the router from Linux or MacOS. That was something I could not do with AirPort Extreme very easily.

YMMV.

Mine is the 7500V2 and the firmware I quote above is the newest for it.

Yeah, now is probably a good time to get away from APE with Apple discontinuing support for them. Had been a while since it was revised hardware wise and today's technology can certainly strain a network; especially with the demand a family has now a days and the amount of devices.

Played with this Asus some more, and despite it's problems it's GUI is awesome. Super easy to set up and everything on 5G works fine, the 2.4 is dead though.. Scratches head. No wonder someone else returned it.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Been using my Asus 88U all week. Had a great experience since Amazon got me the replacement. Love it compared to the Netgear. Has so many more features and GUI is light years ahead. Blankets my whole home, and some hard with solid coverage. Getting good speeds. Went ahead and added the battery backup I link to in post to setup as well as WD MyCloud. Overall very satisfied!

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
d4e490e8d19ecb5a23d44f96a25d0e1e.jpg

Not nearly the fire hazard it was

28b10da4ebd6fcfb629e5130649e385a.jpg

ba38d5d7cba5ab8b1abcd9418d6f1a71.jpg

3003a4be8b30ceaba7200b18412062df.jpg

Before I semi fixed wires.

Ordered a few of the little wire extension things so all the cables with transforms built into plug space away from battery backup so I can plug everything in. It's all on top of kitchen cabinet in middle of house.

f668935bd6256fecb576b0a661facd56.jpg

Any estimates as to how long this battery backup would run router and modem?

Reactions: Weaselboy

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Wow, that's quite a rats nest of wires, were you able to organize those any more?

Lol a little bit. It's a work in progress.

Waiting on...
418343c6617b4bb5768d9aa1b7829e31.png

And this...
50a21a5f13fa0b47217f0c5317f80666.png

And figure I'll spend a bit more time on the mess. Above is much better than before lol.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
d4e490e8d19ecb5a23d44f96a25d0e1e.jpg

Not nearly the fire hazard it was

28b10da4ebd6fcfb629e5130649e385a.jpg

ba38d5d7cba5ab8b1abcd9418d6f1a71.jpg

3003a4be8b30ceaba7200b18412062df.jpg

Before I semi fixed wires.

Ordered a few of the little wire extension things so all the cables with transforms built into plug space away from battery backup so I can plug everything in. It's all on top of kitchen cabinet in middle of house.

f668935bd6256fecb576b0a661facd56.jpg

Any estimates as to how long this battery backup would run router and modem?

How are those Asus routers? My verizon Fios router is pretty terrible. Any way I can replace it and just run the asus or is that not possible?

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
How are those Asus routers? My verizon Fios router is pretty terrible. Any way I can replace it and just run the asus or is that not possible?

I have had a great experience with the Asus; I can't say the same for the Netgear it replaced however.

I'd imagine your Fios router could still be a modem and Asus take the place of all your wifi/Ethernet clients. What I do. Have a cable modem and sends internet to router and router handles everything else.

Highly recommend Asus. Plenty of coverage for our ~2000 sq ft home, tons of options... TONS and plenty of control over kids wifi devices. Speeds seem same to me in real world as Netgear I last had so no complaints there either.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe FIOS has their modem and router all in one. What you want to do is put the router portion in "bridge mode"... that essentially just passes through the signal so you can use your own router like the Asus. If you Google "verizon fios bridge mode" you will find instructions for your particular model. For example here.

I have an Asus RT-AC68P that I really like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.