best iPhone alternative

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wmmk, Feb 7, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hey-
    Not that I'm in the market for a new phone, but I'd be interested to see what everyone around here thinks the iPhone's top competitor is. I'm thinking something that either has way more features or costs considerably less.

2. macrumors 68000

tominated

i mreckon the lg prada will give the iPhone a little competition

3. macrumors G3

clevin

smart phone market is small, u can count them easily

palm
    blackberry
    windows mobile (a bunch)

market leader is blackberry, but i do like palm
    [​IMG]
    $199 with cingular, 399 unlock

4. macrumors G4

As of this writing, the iPhone is not a shipping product.

Assuming that we know everyone about the product that will ship, it will be much more than a feature list. It is a game-changing product with no real competition.

The iPhone is still in development. We don't know what capabilities it will have when it ships.

5. macrumors G3

clevin

change ur "will" to "may", it would be a perfect statement.

But, I do admire your confidence. :D

6. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I find this to be a seemingly compelling near-future alternative. Sadly, of course, its 3G capabilities are worthless here in the States.

7. macrumors G3

clevin

i think Op want either 1. lot more features than iPhone, or 2. way cheaper...:D

8. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

:eek: Good point.

Well, it has, oh, 40 or so more keys that the iPhone. Does that count? ;)

9. macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

I like "real" keyboard on this Samsung and slide factor.
    Nice phone and available pretty soon. And it will probably be available unlocked -- big plus when compared with iPhone.

More pictures:
    http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/en/...gives+us...+the+Samsung+Ultra+Smart+F700.html

10. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. Maybe Apple will come out with a nice BT KB accessory, but, really, the touchscreen pad doesn't cut it for me. I use the phone for email as well as calls, and a keypad is a must. Or at least a strongly-desired.

11. macrumors member

Keyboards are definitely a must for those users already accustomed to them. I went ahead and replaced my Treo 650 with a Treo 680 and couldn't be more pleased. With increased ram and slightly faster processor it's a definite upgrade. While the Treo doesn't handle music well I also must carry an iPod when music is desired increasing devices to 2.

12. macrumors 6502

oh apple will probably sue samsung for having a single button on the face and a very similar earphone slit ... plus it is black .. why dont sue them for this too?

anyways .. a very very decent device indeed, good multimedia suport (do i read h.264 and AAC??) also full html browsing <whatever that means ... etc.

13. macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

I don't think Apple will risk losing supply of flash memory for iPods :p

14. macrumors 65816

It has a nicer camera at 5MP.

15. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

God! We know that the iPhone hasn't shipped yet. He is asking hypothetically, and asking about the iPhone with the features as we know them right now. Quit hi-jacking everyones thread that asks a question about the iPhone and trying to look smart by telling them that "the iPhone hasn't shipped yet. We know! If you dont have anything to contribute than don't post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=271895

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=273596

16. macrumors G4

Ooh, I like. A lot.

I have a Windows Mobile phone and am seriously looking at the iPhone when it comes out but one of the main reasons I got this particular phone is because it has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard like the Samsung linked above. I was disappointed that the iPhone's keyboard was screen only until I did a little experiment.

Windows Mobile phones have a on screen keyboard too but its tiny and really only accessible by stylus. Not very good for typing at any reasonable speed. But it has another input method known as Phone Pad which is pretty much what it sounds like, a small 3x3 on-screen pad of numbers, each one being about the same size as the iPhone's keys. I went into Word and started typing pretty much gibberish but I found out that it was actually easier to use the onscreen Phone Pad than the hardware QWERTY keyboard. If the pad was an actual keyboard and not just numbers I would use it a lot more often.

Ok, that was a bit long and off on a tangent but anyhoo...

17. macrumors 603

Stella

Nokia N95 - poor battery life though, otherwise, an excellent phone. More features than the iPhone and plenty of 3rd party apps. For a communicator, the Nokia E90 will be an excellent device, of course there's already the E61, E70 and 9200 / 9300 communicators.

Oh, you forgot Symbian, the worlds #1 smartphone OS, not BlackBerry actually. Nokia have the most marketshare for smartphones. :)

The smartphone market is pretty large actually. There are only around 5 different smartphone OSes but however:
    - Symbian
    - Palm
    - BB
    - Linux
    - Windows mobile / smartphone

There are a lot of manufactures who make such devices -
    Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, BenQ, Blackberry, Palm, HP, to name a few.

You could not count all the devices on one hand, and I'd be surprised if anyone could name ALL the smartphone devices out there

18. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Yet over here in Europe, the iPhone is being criticised for not having 3G, for which we have excellent cover (with HSDAP (I may have screwed up the letter order)) being faster than most broadband connections. (still along the expensive side, though, €30 per month for 2GB, I believe)

Though America has always been a bit slower in the cellphone businness, still using CDMA and such and such

EDIT: of course, the US is a totally different country than for example Belgium, which is extremely densely populated.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

It would be awesome (5MP camera!!!), but has pinstripes ala OS 10.0 beta

Are the other smartphone OSes skinnable? If some weren't so FUGly, I'd get them. I don't have enough $$$ right now to care about an apple logo on a phone. Also, are there any smartphones out there geared towards photographers/creative people? I know the iPhone is one answer, but I'm not willing to pay for it right now.

20. macrumors 603

Stella

I don't know about others, but I know Symbian based phones are:
    Nokia , SonyErcisson and a few others.

21. macrumors newbie

My alternative to the iphone is a RAZR, ipod, and a PSP. I really only want an ipod and a cell phone in one package. Three priorities for me are: talking, listening to music, and playing games. The PSP has a wifi browser but I don't ever use it. The ipod plays my music and I talk on my phone. Throw some ducktape around those babies and I've got the perfect gadget for me.:)

22. macrumors 6502a

ijimk

lol the razr and ipod video are my perfect combo. I will probably not be an early adopter of the iphone due to its small HD. I need my 60 gigs :p and my razr is just fine for now that is.

23. macrumors 604

zap2

If i had to go buy a smart phone right now, it would be a Palm Treo

24. macrumors regular

Thank You for saying that.

25. macrumors 6502a

Worthless in Andover, maybe! Perfectly loving my 720 kbps in chicago on a blackjack :)