Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hey-
Not that I'm in the market for a new phone, but I'd be interested to see what everyone around here thinks the iPhone's top competitor is. I'm thinking something that either has way more features or costs considerably less.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
smart phone market is small, u can count them easily

palm
blackberry
windows mobile (a bunch)

market leader is blackberry, but i do like palm
overview_680_photo.jpg

$199 with cingular, 399 unlock

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
As of this writing, the iPhone is not a shipping product.

Assuming that we know everyone about the product that will ship, it will be much more than a feature list. It is a game-changing product with no real competition.

The iPhone is still in development. We don't know what capabilities it will have when it ships.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

Assuming that we know everyone about the product that will ship, it will be much more than a feature list. It is a game-changing product with no real competition.

The iPhone is still in development. We don't know what capabilities it will have when it ships.

change ur "will" to "may", it would be a perfect statement.

But, I do admire your confidence. :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I find this to be a seemingly compelling near-future alternative. Sadly, of course, its 3G capabilities are worthless here in the States.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I find this to be a seemingly compelling near-future alternative. Sadly, of course, its 3G capabilities are worthless here in the States.

i think Op want either 1. lot more features than iPhone, or 2. way cheaper...:D

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I like "real" keyboard on this Samsung and slide factor.
Agreed. Maybe Apple will come out with a nice BT KB accessory, but, really, the touchscreen pad doesn't cut it for me. I use the phone for email as well as calls, and a keypad is a must. Or at least a strongly-desired.

fozy

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
Keyboards are definitely a must for those users already accustomed to them. I went ahead and replaced my Treo 650 with a Treo 680 and couldn't be more pleased. With increased ram and slightly faster processor it's a definite upgrade. While the Treo doesn't handle music well I also must carry an iPod when music is desired increasing devices to 2.

Agreed. Maybe Apple will come out with a nice BT KB accessory, but, really, the touchscreen pad doesn't cut it for me. I use the phone for email as well as calls, and a keypad is a must. Or at least a strongly-desired.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
oh apple will probably sue samsung for having a single button on the face and a very similar earphone slit ... plus it is black .. why dont sue them for this too?

anyways .. a very very decent device indeed, good multimedia suport (do i read h.264 and AAC??) also full html browsing <whatever that means ... etc.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003

God! We know that the iPhone hasn't shipped yet. He is asking hypothetically, and asking about the iPhone with the features as we know them right now. Quit hi-jacking everyones thread that asks a question about the iPhone and trying to look smart by telling them that "the iPhone hasn't shipped yet. We know! If you dont have anything to contribute than don't post.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/271895/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/273596/

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.

Ooh, I like. A lot.

I have a Windows Mobile phone and am seriously looking at the iPhone when it comes out but one of the main reasons I got this particular phone is because it has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard like the Samsung linked above. I was disappointed that the iPhone's keyboard was screen only until I did a little experiment.

Windows Mobile phones have a on screen keyboard too but its tiny and really only accessible by stylus. Not very good for typing at any reasonable speed. But it has another input method known as Phone Pad which is pretty much what it sounds like, a small 3x3 on-screen pad of numbers, each one being about the same size as the iPhone's keys. I went into Word and started typing pretty much gibberish but I found out that it was actually easier to use the onscreen Phone Pad than the hardware QWERTY keyboard. If the pad was an actual keyboard and not just numbers I would use it a lot more often.

Ok, that was a bit long and off on a tangent but anyhoo...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nokia N95 - poor battery life though, otherwise, an excellent phone. More features than the iPhone and plenty of 3rd party apps. For a communicator, the Nokia E90 will be an excellent device, of course there's already the E61, E70 and 9200 / 9300 communicators.

Hey-
Not that I'm in the market for a new phone, but I'd be interested to see what everyone around here thinks the iPhone's top competitor is. I'm thinking something that either has way more features or costs considerably less.

Oh, you forgot Symbian, the worlds #1 smartphone OS, not BlackBerry actually. Nokia have the most marketshare for smartphones. :)

The smartphone market is pretty large actually. There are only around 5 different smartphone OSes but however:
- Symbian
- Palm
- BB
- Linux
- Windows mobile / smartphone

There are a lot of manufactures who make such devices -
Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, BenQ, Blackberry, Palm, HP, to name a few.

You could not count all the devices on one hand, and I'd be surprised if anyone could name ALL the smartphone devices out there

smart phone market is small, u can count them easily

palm
blackberry
windows mobile (a bunch)

market leader is blackberry, but i do like palm
overview_680_photo.jpg

$199 with cingular, 399 unlock

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium

Yet over here in Europe, the iPhone is being criticised for not having 3G, for which we have excellent cover (with HSDAP (I may have screwed up the letter order)) being faster than most broadband connections. (still along the expensive side, though, €30 per month for 2GB, I believe)

Though America has always been a bit slower in the cellphone businness, still using CDMA and such and such

EDIT: of course, the US is a totally different country than for example Belgium, which is extremely densely populated.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

Ooh, I like. A lot.

It would be awesome (5MP camera!!!), but has pinstripes ala OS 10.0 beta

Are the other smartphone OSes skinnable? If some weren't so FUGly, I'd get them. I don't have enough $$$ right now to care about an apple logo on a phone. Also, are there any smartphones out there geared towards photographers/creative people? I know the iPhone is one answer, but I'm not willing to pay for it right now.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't know about others, but I know Symbian based phones are:
Nokia , SonyErcisson and a few others.

It would be awesome (5MP camera!!!), but has pinstripes ala OS 10.0 beta

Are the other smartphone OSes skinnable? If some weren't so FUGly, I'd get them. I don't have enough $$$ right now to care about an apple logo on a phone. Also, are there any smartphones out there geared towards photographers/creative people? I know the iPhone is one answer, but I'm not willing to pay for it right now.

awhitaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
My alternative to the iphone is a RAZR, ipod, and a PSP. I really only want an ipod and a cell phone in one package. Three priorities for me are: talking, listening to music, and playing games. The PSP has a wifi browser but I don't ever use it. The ipod plays my music and I talk on my phone. Throw some ducktape around those babies and I've got the perfect gadget for me.:)

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
My alternative to the iphone is a RAZR, ipod, and a PSP. I really only want an ipod and a cell phone in one package. Three priorities for me are: talking, listening to music, and playing games. The PSP has a wifi browser but I don't ever use it. The ipod plays my music and I talk on my phone. Throw some ducktape around those babies and I've got the perfect gadget for me.:)

lol the razr and ipod video are my perfect combo. I will probably not be an early adopter of the iphone due to its small HD. I need my 60 gigs :p and my razr is just fine for now that is.

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
God! We know that the iPhone hasn't shipped yet. He is asking hypothetically, and asking about the iPhone with the features as we know them right now. Quit hi-jacking everyones thread that asks a question about the iPhone and trying to look smart by telling them that "the iPhone hasn't shipped yet. We know! If you dont have anything to contribute than don't post.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/271895/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/273596/

Thank You for saying that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.