Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The Best NCAA Football Conference in my opinion is the ACC

It features great dynasties along the lines of Miami, Florida State, and others, while also competing with todays standards. The only reason schools from the ACC are not winning championships is because of the tough conference schedules they have to face where even some of the weaker schools could upset a higher ranking opponent.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
It was so sweet to see Florida get put in place by Auburn. No undefeated team in SEC. Georgia goes down the second time, to Vandy. And what was the Miami-Florida Intl. fight about?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
xsedrinam said:
It was so sweet to see Florida get put in place by Auburn. No undefeated team in SEC. Georgia goes down the second time, to Vandy. And what was the Miami-Florida Intl. fight about?
Arkansas is undefeated in SEC play.

jon

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
iJon said:
Arkansas is undefeated in SEC play.
True. They're currently on top in the SEC West, but they're 5-1 overall. They lost to USC in their opener. And they still have Tennessee and LSU later on.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
OK this thread is pretty dead at this point but I gotta give the Pac-10 my vote. I'm so sick of southern SEC fanboys yelling on about how tough their conference is and how hard all their teams have to work to do anything. USC killed Arkansas early on this year and I'm still hearing homers talking about a Arkansas/Ohio State BCS championship game? Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Do SEC fans even watch the games? The Florida v. Arkansas game on 12/2 should be interesting but when the razorbacks hand the gators their second loss of the year what are you gonna do then?

PAC - 10 baby!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
OK this thread is pretty dead at this point but I gotta give the Pac-10 my vote. I'm so sick of southern SEC fanboys yelling on about how tough their conference is and how hard all their teams have to work to do anything. USC killed Arkansas early on this year and I'm still hearing homers talking about a Arkansas/Ohio State BCS championship game? Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Do SEC fans even watch the games? The Florida v. Arkansas game on 12/2 should be interesting but when the razorbacks hand the gators their second loss of the year what are you gonna do then?

PAC - 10 baby!

Yes we did get our ass whipped that first game. For one we didn't have Darren McFadden nor did we have a quarterback. Robert Johnson took the snaps (sucks) then Mitch came in next game. He wont the next 8 games. Then we brought in our QB from last year Casey Dick and been doing well. A loss is a loss but we didn't have our team together that first game.

jon

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
The nearest to the Pacific Ocean 90% of the top 10 ranked teams gets is Austin, TX. 30% of those 9 teams is from the SEC. One can appreciate enthusiasm, but can't ignore geography. :p

USC looked good and convincing against a good Cal team. There are some obstacles in their path though. Obviously, they must get a W against Notre Dame and UCLA. With that, they control their destiny.

Some unanswered Qs: The computer polls have Michigan several points ahead of USC in the #2 spot, even though the people polls show USC in #2. If they win out, will the loss against Oregon St. work against them jumping over Michigan to play OSU for the championship?

If Arkansas wins out over LSU and Florida, or if Florida wins out over FSU and Arkansas, will they have a legitimate bargaining chip to deserve to play OSU since Auburn got snubbed two years ago at 12-0?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Looks like USC is about to crash and burn behind UCLA. This will make the championship game controversy more exciting. Ohio St. vs. ?????

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
UCLA's ends gave Booty trouble all day long. I'm a big USC fan but I have to give all the credit to the UCLA defense, they are speeeeeeeeeeedy.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Florida and Arkansas gave us a nail-biter tonight. Tough loss but a good game. Let's hope Florida gets the bid and brings it home for the SEC.

jon

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Florida and Arkansas gave us a nail-biter tonight. Tough loss but a good game. Let's hope Florida gets the bid and brings it home for the SEC.

jon
It's probably the right thing, though Florida is a team I've been conditioned to loathe over the years. An early S.I. poll has Florida picked over Michigan to go. It'll be worth it just to see BCS churn and squirm once more in the chaos.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 57

shady

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
As usual, the SEC is beating up on each other.

Should we call the SEC the best because they habitually blow big games to each other? Everyone calls this the best conference but I have to disagree. I think its just a bunch of "par" teams that can't keep winning games. If LSU, Florida are so good why are they losing to Kentucky/Georgia? Is Kentucky really even that good? I don't think we should rank a conference as "#1" just because any team can win on any weekend, this is college football after all and any team from any conference can beat anyone at any time. I'm not saying you have to have everyone undefeated to be a good conference, but just because everyone in the conference loses to each other doesn't make them a powerhouse. Everyone should just step back, drop their bias, and really look at the big picture.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Should we call the SEC the best because they habitually blow big games to each other? Everyone calls this the best conference but I have to disagree. I think its just a bunch of "par" teams that can't keep winning games. If LSU, Florida are so good why are they losing to Kentucky/Georgia? Is Kentucky really even that good? I don't think we should rank a conference as "#1" just because any team can win on any weekend, this is college football after all and any team from any conference can beat anyone at any time. I'm not saying you have to have everyone undefeated to be a good conference, but just because everyone in the conference loses to each other doesn't make them a powerhouse. Everyone should just step back, drop their bias, and really look at the big picture.

Yes, Georgia and Kentucky are good this year. Georgia is usually good if you ask me. Hell even Mississippi State is looking decent this year in conference play (ain't that right iSaint).

Now if Arkansas can blow some more games then hopefully we can get this joke of a coach out of our state.

Never thought I would be rooting against my own team.

jon

iSaint

macrumors 603
Yes, Georgia and Kentucky are good this year. Georgia is usually good if you ask me. Hell even Mississippi State is looking decent this year in conference play (ain't that right iSaint).

Yep!!! :D

Now if Arkansas can blow some more games then hopefully we can get this joke of a coach out of our state.

Never thought I would be rooting against my own team.

jon

I can't remember what game it was, but I saw Arkansas have two or three serious personal fouls called on them one game and it made me think there's problems with that team. If you can't control your players, you certainly aren't getting the message across to them to play the game right.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

this is a no-brainer, it's clearly the SEC. and yes Kentucky's quarterback is having a great year, just look at his numbers. and Georgia is good every year.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Hey iSaint, are you ready for the game this weekend in Little Rock. It should be very interesting since Mississippi State has been doing better than usual this year.

Enjoy it though cause this will be the last game that you play against our mediocre coach Houston Nutt. He will resign at the end of the season and take another job and Butch Davis will be taking over :D:D:D.

jon

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
As someone who does not have a dog in the hunt, so to speak, I don't know why the Big 12 is being so slighted. I mean, they have the 3-4-5 teams, and they've all managed to beat each other up, just as the SEC does. What the SEC has is a lot of history and a monster hype machine. It's a good conference, no doubt, but to say it's a no brainer is simply over the top.

The Pac-10 is also very good, as is the Big East. Which of the four is the "best" is simply unanswerable, until you define what "best" means. And there are so many ways that "best" can be defined that each of the four conferences mentioned will turn up "best" under a reasonable definition.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
You forgot to point out that Iowa and Penn State couldn't hold a candle to any of the 5 SEC teams you named.

SEC is the best conference hands down. If they wouldn't have to play eachother every year theay would dominate the rest of the NCAA.

Amen! All the SEC teams beat up on each other and that tends to keep them out of the top spots. The SEC has by far the best rivalry's; just look at how many SEC games make network television each season.
:cool:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
As someone who does not have a dog in the hunt, so to speak, I don't know why the Big 12 is being so slighted. I mean, they have the 3-4-5 teams, and they've all managed to beat each other up, just as the SEC does. What the SEC has is a lot of history and a monster hype machine. It's a good conference, no doubt, but to say it's a no brainer is simply over the top.

The Pac-10 is also very good, as is the Big East. Which of the four is the "best" is simply unanswerable, until you define what "best" means. And there are so many ways that "best" can be defined that each of the four conferences mentioned will turn up "best" under a reasonable definition.

as far as competition in one conference, it's the SEC hands down. not only do they beat up on each other, but other teams that are outside of the conference. what's Mark Rict's record for non-conference games? i think he's only lost a couple of games.

and they actually play defense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.