Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
I got my BSE today and had NO idea it was a wet application. It didn't come with any direction other than to check the website for instructions. Complete waste of money. I can get better protection with a $2 eBay protector.

It states pretty clearly on the slip of paper that the skins are wrapped in that you need to go to their website for Installation Instructions/Video. It's your fault you just went ahead and tried to put them on incorrectly.

drkash

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Does the BSE add any more grip to the phone? Do you think the BSE will be prone to scratching easily?

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Received mine two days ago. Installed it on one of my IP5 last night. Fit is great and doesn't have any orange peel like Zagg. I've always used BSE for all my devices.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Does the BSE add any more grip to the phone? Do you think the BSE will be prone to scratching easily?
Yes and no. It's got a slightly tactile rubbery feel so it's not hard and plastic feeling. That makes it not prone to scratches.
Received mine two days ago. Installed it on one of my IP5 last night. Fit is great and doesn't have any orange peel like Zagg. I've always used BSE for all my devices.

My phone looks great and I even kludged it up a bit on the front install. In the past I've used Ghost Armor, Steinheil (sp?), and power support shields. This one is every bit as good if not better than the rest. I have no complaints thus far.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012

it's more grippy yes. the material is extremely resistant to scratching or any kind of damage. i still get the orange peel with the BSE. but when the screen is on it doesn't distort.

drkash

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Are you planning on using the BSE with a case or instead of?

Someone on another thread mentions the wet install caused water damage to their screen, anyone else with similar experiences?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Are you planning on using the BSE with a case or instead of?

Someone on another thread mentions the wet install caused water damage to their screen, anyone else with similar experiences?

That someone was me. Apple replaced my phone because after drying, it looked like a manufacturing defect.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
That someone was me. Apple replaced my phone because after drying, it looked like a manufacturing defect.

Wat do you mean it left water spots? Aren't you worried about the back metal if that's happened?

Yikes all of a sudden I'm scared of wet installs going to peel off my skinomi and get a BSE soon curious now how it looks under (not talking about front but back as I got SPG on front) :eek:

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
you guys think an otter box defender will still fit good with this BSE on side and bottom? thanks.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Wat do you mean it left water spots? Aren't you worried about the back metal if that's happened?

Yikes all of a sudden I'm scared of wet installs going to peel off my skinomi and get a BSE soon curious now how it looks under (not talking about front but back as I got SPG on front) :eek:

Read the thread. Also, the back metal is anodized aluminum, which resists corrosion.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
you guys think an otter box defender will still fit good with this BSE on side and bottom? thanks.

i just returned mine because it was just a little too tight. of course i also had the front of the BSE on as well. you could technically put the case on still but it seemed slightly too snug for me. using a trident aegis now which has a more flexible silicone inner shell.

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
i just returned mine because it was just a little too tight. of course i also had the front of the BSE on as well. you could technically put the case on still but it seemed slightly too snug for me. using a trident aegis now which has a more flexible silicone inner shell.

alright thanks. i guess ill see how tight it is as i already ordered both. anyways if i don't like how it fits i can always give the otter box to one of my brothers.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US

I just ordered one of those Best Skins ever..But I have to wait about a week for it to come. In the meantime the back of my phone remains unprotected. I do have a Zagg on the screen, since I was able to walk into Best Buy and get one right after receiving the phone. Brick and mortar stores still have their pluses.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Just installed mine. The sides of iPhone 5 are a perfect fit. The back and front have great cutouts. A piece for the home button is included. One note, the back and front don't perfectly cover edge to edge, but maybe after it fully drys, it will.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Just installed mine. The sides of iPhone 5 are a perfect fit. The back and front have great cutouts. A piece for the home button is included. One note, the back and front don't perfectly cover edge to edge, but maybe after it fully drys, it will.

Can you post a picture of how the back doesn't cover edge to edge? Like I said my Skinomi skin is shorr is BSE the same?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 269

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
If you actually look closely, the aluminum back extends further out (left to right) than the top and bottom "glass strips." I.e. the bezel of the phone would not allow a skin to lie flat at the top and bottom if it was the same width as the aluminum backing.

Manufacturers would need to produce a skin that is slightly narrower at the top and bottom.

drkash

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Can someone tell me from experience will the BSE peel easily on the sides over time? And what is the screen quality like with the BSE on? I've previously used Steinheil Oleophobic, how does it compare to those or power support?

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Can someone tell me from experience will the BSE peel easily on the sides over time? And what is the screen quality like with the BSE on? I've previously used Steinheil Oleophobic, how does it compare to those or power support?

I've found with the BSE on my iPhones and iPads that they stick really well to all surfaces including the sides. If you've applied it well it shouldn't peel.

I've never used the screen film for long however. It's a far more rubbery (soft, sticky) feel than other screen protectors. I always use a screen protector from another brand.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Got mine yesterday. Is it supposed to look cloudy and not clear?

After 24 hours it should be very clear and not cloudy. I was at a wedding reception last night and several people looked at my phone and none of them could even tell there was a skin on it.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Just ordered the Total Body BSE for my iPhone 5. I've been using BSE skins for a long time for a lot of my devices (Blackberry 9700, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, PS Vita) and they've never failed me yet.

I believe they've just recently started using a better kind of material for their skins. The one I recently put on my Vita looks a lot better than the skin I put on my iPhones.

I've used Zagg, BodyGuardz, and a bunch of other skins, but I always seem to go back to BSE. :)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Just ordered the Total Body BSE for my iPhone 5. I've been using BSE skins for a long time for a lot of my devices (Blackberry 9700, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, PS Vita) and they've never failed me yet.

I believe they've just recently started using a better kind of material for their skins. The one I recently put on my Vita looks a lot better than the skin I put on my iPhones.

I've used Zagg, BodyGuardz, and a bunch of other skins, but I always seem to go back to BSE. :)
I've always liked BSE but do admit there texture is a bit rubbery and kind of thick, is it a little smoother now and/or thinner? What's the difference you notice?

There is a disclaimer on their site the skin is new and improved curious as to how.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.