Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnate

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
LA
This is best answer in this entire thread.

A lot of "Don't use X" being thrown around.

But I still have the same questions, Which Mac ? Which OS ?

A lot whine about the Firefox add-ons slowng the browser down, and constantly nagging for updates. This is only if you set the Firefox preferences to automatically check for updates. And if you load up dozens of add-ons, that you usually don't need. Firefox is never slow on a Mac Pro.

Like I tried to explain in my last post, Safari is fast and mostly reliable. But, if you need the use of add-ons, Firefox blows Safari out of the water. Knowing the OP's Mac and OS would help with a more definite answer.

Personally, I seldom use use Safari, and greatly prefer Firefox with several select add-ons. If you're running Snow Leopard in 64 bit mode, that's the only time you might see a noticeable difference between the 2 browsers.
Also, for the sake of not offending those who believe they know different, and become rude, let's say that I'm only stating opinion.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
first, it most certain do not load any faster in safari on my MB than firefox. the majority of the page is image, loading speed is not controlled by js in any way, shape or form.
second, its not js animation.

Care to provide something to back that up? Ironic isn't it that Java/Javasript is clearly indicated as required for an allegedly non-Java animation. :rolleyes:

Loading speed of the content is obviously dependent upon your internet connection as I already said. Perhaps I should have been more clear in that Safari loads the Java applet faster than Firefox...and doesn't freeze up for 5 seconds as Firefox does for me while loading the Java applet.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Not sure how valuable a thread like this is, but since I use Camino almost exclusively, I'll have to put in my two bits. Fast. Crashes very rarely. I like how it manages bookmarks.

Really, it all boils down to personal preference. Camino, Safari, Firefox and Opera offer a wide range (anyone still using OmniWeb?) and any of them should fit your needs.

mt

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Firefox and Safari both have their strengths... I love FFX but I prefer Safari (even on Windows).

Compatibility = Tie

Plugins / Expandability = Firefox 3.5 (no contest here)
Look/Feel = Firefox 3.5 (totally customizable with Persona, skins, etc.)

Mac OS Integration = Safari 4
Raw Performance / Speed = Safari 4

Forsaken

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
Firefox when you don't fool around with useless addons. (I personally only use Personas and OverbiteFF, as an enhanced Gopher client)

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I like to switch mostly between Safari and Firefox, usually out of boredom. :p Lately I have tried Opera again and am liking some of the features. Have tried the Chrome pre-beta too and it looks very promising. Nothing wrong with having many choices. In the end it comes down to personal preference, and only you can make that choice.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Just just a bleeding web browser at the end of the day. It simply browses webpages. I just use whatever comes with the system. Safari in this case.

EasyRider

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
chromium... the beta release of the google chrome web browser for mac... it is hands down the fastest web browser I have. Beats safari and firefox. and its so simple and pleasant to use. If you are not into using beta releases, wait for chrome to come out in the coming months, and stick with safari for now. Nothing wrong with firefox, but i dont think its better.

After some extended time with google chrome on os x, I think it is the best performing browser... now with new extensions/add-ons coming soon will put it over the top. Although they might make it hiccup like firefox does.

Now if only 1password would support it, I would use it full time.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Now if only 1password would support it, I would use it full time.

Definitely a deal-breaker for me also. I would probably use Opera, as well as Chrome, a lot more if they supported 1Password. I certainly miss it being there when trying to use Opera.

jmj

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I've been using Firefox a lot more lately. Safari and the animated gif issue is beyond annoying and it's gotten worse since just the last update. Snow Leopard did NOT fix this issue.

The one thing I've noticed - and I could be imagining things - is that Firefox seems to eat my battery a lot faster than Safari. I only have two addons installed, so I doubt that's an issue. Is this be possible?

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I use Camino for day-to-day browsing (Firefox for web development - Safari for ridiculously javascript-heavy sites). Camino is faster than Firefox and better integrated with OS X; more stable than Safari. It uses the same rendering engine as Firefox (although usually a slightly older version) but with a native interface around it.

This, but I dont use FF at all.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Safari 90% of my web browsing time.
Firefox for the few sites having problems with Safari (very few since the introduction of Safari 4)

almostaskater62

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
firefox became far too bloated and slow for me. i use chromium right now and i couldn't be happier. it's all sorts of fast. except i find it funny that the open source branch (chromium) has a few great features that for some reason aren't in the google-supported beta of chrome

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Played around with Chrome, didn't exactly like the look of the UI. It was stable and fast, I haven't ran any official test, but I'll stick with Safari. While 1Password is working on integration, I really can't switch primary browsers until that key feature gets addressed.

mac.wubaby

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
D.C.
I got an idea. How about you put up a poll in your thread so you can get a count. It would also be helpful for others scanning through ur thread.

My vote is for safari although there are some sites that hang up on me in safari such as bing travel when I have to wait for the price predictor to show up. Happens about 50% of the time. That's when I use firefox.

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Chrome (once extensions are supported) will probably be my browser of choice. Only thing that they should change is the title bar, it looks a bit awkward and should look more like what the safari 4 beta title bar looked like.

Vkrati

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Chrome (once extensions are supported) will probably be my browser of choice. Only thing that they should change is the title bar, it looks a bit awkward and should look more like what the safari 4 beta title bar looked like.

No google for me because of the EULA.

Opera as downloadmanager.
Safari as standard with the handy activity...thingy.
Firefox for compability, so almost never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.