Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here are my requirements...
- needs to allow creation of folders or categories directly in the app
- need to have the ability to send the notes out in an email or export directly to a word or PDF file. I can't use an external synching service due to the sensitive nature of the data
- needs to have a built-in search function
- needs to have drawing functionality
- tagging would be a bonus
- audio recording would be a bonus
Notes + is probably the app that matches your needs the best. I think you may be hard pressed to see any app that has any search function. The issue is that all note taking apps that don't use the keyboard transform the drawn text into an image, either in pdf or jpg form. That being the case its not really searchable

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
The issue is that all note taking apps that don't use the keyboard transform the drawn text into an image, either in pdf or jpg form. That being the case its not really searchable
I did notice that in a PDF exported from Notes Plus when using a combination of text and drawing you can select the text, so it doesn't seem to export everything as an image.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Notes + is probably the app that matches your needs the best. I think you may be hard pressed to see any app that has any search function. The issue is that all note taking apps that don't use the keyboard transform the drawn text into an image, either in pdf or jpg form. That being the case its not really searchable

Thanks for the advice. I picked Notes + up tonight and it is pretty good so far. But, I do wish that it had the search functionality like Awesome Note. I can see it getting difficult to find information after building a collection of notes. I'll continue trying this out with my zaggmate to see if it'll work out for me.

GL

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I just bought Note Taker HD and right off the hop, I don't like it. The non-standard UI controls throw me off, for example.

I guess time will tell, but I'm thinking based on the screenshots of Phat Pad, I should've bought it.

RichyB

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
I still haven't found an app that makes my writing look the same as it does on paper. Penultimate is close and note taker hd is a million miles away. Noteshelf is quite good but I find the loading times between each of the note books to be tedious. The help sheets for notes plus suggest neat and tidy writing but when I try the page looks terrible and the functions for deleting etc are getting on my nerves.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The more I use Note Taker, the more I dislike it. It really isn't a great app. It's a poor drawing/sketching app and I cannot see how to add text (which a drawing app allows).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just got Noteshelf, and I am really liking it so far.

So far I think that noteshelf has the most going for it, but I've been using and liking evernote because what I enter is in text format, where I can easily add it to any other document.

While noteshelf and the like can be quicker especially with a stylus, I find evernote provides better flexibility and power.

RichyB

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
Yeah note shelf enables very neat note taking, probably the best one so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.