Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
I'm literally about to press Buy Now for a 7200RPM 2GB 2.16GH MacBook Pro (Currently using 12inch PowerBook 867mh with a broken 'sed' key. That's why I can't type Gh_ :D ) But I thought, Hmm, Blu-ray is gonna be in Apple soon due to their partnership, but if I'm gonna have this laptop for a while, say 2 or 3 years, is it a problem that it only has a DVD drive? Your ideas and thoughts are welcomed. Cheers. Oh, and check out my new avatar. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Offtopic: You have a sed key? I know OSX is a unix but a dedicated sed key is totally crazy! Do you have one for grep and another for awk :D (just joking, I assume you mean Z)

On the blueray thing: personally I'm not worried. Blueray will not be available for a few months yet, and when it is drives and blanks will be $$$. Once blanks drop to a sensible price you will either: buy a new Mac or buy an external drive.

Edit to add: p.s. I'm not seeing any avatar, new or otherwise...

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
applemax said:
I'm literally about to press Buy Now for a 7200RPM 2GB 2.16GH MacBook Pro (Currently using 12inch PowerBook 867mh with a broken 'sed' key. That's why I can't type Gh_ :D ) But I thought, Hmm, Blu-ray is gonna be in Apple soon due to their partnership, but if I'm gonna have this laptop for a while, say 2 or 3 years, is it a problem that it only has a DVD drive? Your ideas and thoughts are welcomed. Cheers. Oh, and check out my new avatar. :)

Blue Ray will be desktop only for some time after it is used in Apple machines... as was DVD. I have a Rev A 17" PB with a 1 x DVD burner in it and it fails 60% of the time due to disc standards.

Anyway, what I am saying is that we may see Blue Ray in PowerMacs (MacPros) in 6-9 months time and then we'll see them in MBPs in 15-18 months and they will be worth having in MBPs in about 24-30 months.. so don't worry.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
The question is if you are really going to have any need for a BR drive for the next 12-24 months. When the first DVD Writers came out DVD+-Rs were seriously expensive the same will happen for BR.
I wouldn't worry about the lack of a next generation drive. It'll take quite some time before software and the likes get brought out exclusively on BR or HDDVD.

That's one hell of a computer. I'd say go and buy it!

The upside is that Dual Layer discs may FINALLY drop in price once HDDVD and Blueray hit the market. I have a Dual Layer burner in my DVR but it has never been used because I can buy 50 DVD-Rs for the price of one DVD-R DL. Ridiculous! :mad:

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Thanks for all your help. Apparently my avater was 150x150 which is too big!
Does it work now?

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
applemax said:
Thanks for all your help. Apparently my avater was 150x150 which is too big!
Does it work now?

You haven't made enough posts for an avatar have you?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
applemax said:
Oh, I didn't know that. How many posts do you need to make?

jacobj said:
Blue Ray will be desktop only for some time after it is used in Apple machines... as was DVD. I have a Rev A 17" PB with a 1 x DVD burner in it and it fails 60% of the time due to disc standards.

Anyway, what I am saying is that we may see Blue Ray in PowerMacs (MacPros) in 6-9 months time and then we'll see them in MBPs in 15-18 months and they will be worth having in MBPs in about 24-30 months.. so don't worry.

I'm not too worried about Blu-ray for now, for all we know HD-DVD may still win out eventually :rolleyes:

But I can just so envision that $5 pricing for each disc, it's so not worth it. What I do hope to see in future revisions of the MBP is the dual layer DVD burner. Seriously there is really no excuse why it didn't come with it. The MBP is 1 inch thick. ONE INCH! They can't fit a DL burner in there? Bullocks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
applemax said:
Oh, I didn't know that. How many posts do you need to make?

500. It's in the FAQ.

You can't even set an Avatar until that point (I don't think). You have probably set your profile picture instead (which is a different thing).

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
If Apple stops making anorexic Powerbooks, they could probably put in a Blu-ray drive, a Firewire 800 port, and a whole lot of other things that they can't do in a 1-inch-thick laptop with a slot-loading CD drive.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Mr. Mister said:
If Apple stops making anorexic Powerbooks, they could probably put in a Blu-ray drive, a Firewire 800 port, and a whole lot of other things that they can't do in a 1-inch-thick laptop with a slot-loading CD drive.

It would weigh 10+ pounds, be the size of a small surfboard and I wouldn't buy one.. Apple know their market and they do a great job of making products to match. If its not for you then buy elsewhere.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Personally, I would be MORE worried about not having a DL-DVD drive! I am sure the next rev MBP that will be 64-bit Memron based must have them. I would not worry too much though because you can always get a little external one. (at least disk to disk backups will be easy to perform)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
robbieduncan said:
Offtopic: You have a sed key? I know OSX is a unix but a dedicated sed key is totally crazy! Do you have one for grep and another for awk :D (just joking, I assume you mean Z)...
If you mean Z why not just say that rather than waste all of our time!:mad:

verbose

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2006
My advice would be to buy the stock top of the line unit now, and conserve funds for a future Blu-Ray and 64-bit CPU equipped model. Also, I always buy knowing that today's BTO is tomorrow's closeout. So to stay happy I tend to get the top offered "off the rack" unit.

Also, Blu-Ray players may get into MacBook Pros sooner, as the new Kombo Drive so to speak. That would be a pretty cool stop-gap in my case, since I plan to use BD primarily for movie watching while flying/traveling. While reminds me, I hope someone puts out a magsafe airplane adapter soon.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
MacDonaldsd said:
For me its the worrie that the next rev will be 64-bit , and wi-fi N but the wi-fi thing maybe just me.

I'm lost...what are you saying?:confused: Is it that the next rev will be better than the current one? then yes of course it will be, but so will the one be after that and so on and so forth, as has been said so many times.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Im saying for me personally, the reason I would wait to buy a MBP is the fact that its only 32 bit

Like it has been said in this thread if you found you wanted a blu ray drive you could buy an external burner, but there is nothing you can do about the processor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.