Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Blu Ray rip thru VirtualBox?

I am getting my lg blu ray burner tomorrow and am going to be trying something I've not seen anyone post about. Im going to try to encode the blu ray movie as .h264 at 720p and copy to my media server for playback via Boxee or whatever. I understand that I will need AnyDvd HD for the playback on windows. I've got the Cyberlink PowerDVD hd software suite to ensure playback and was going to use AVGO Media Recorder to record directly to .h264 aac. Anyone know of an easier way? I saw on another thread, someone had a 7 step process, I would like to make it as simple as possible though.

nhouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
re: Blu-Ray playback?

I haven't tried ripbot, hopefully it's not 24 hours to encode. I'm curious to see the performance running thru a virtual machine too. If it takes longer than 3 hours, I would say the AVGO Media Recorder would be the better option as it rips them in real time. I'll post my results of both.

nhouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Ripbot264 blu-ray encoding...

Yeah, good luck with that. I'm sure you'll have fun with 24 hour encodes using ripbot. Been there, done that. No thanks.

Hmm, what was the specs on the machine you were getting 24 hour rips from using ripbot? Don't get me wrong, it is a slower program. I'm doing a 2 pass encoding of a Blu-Ray title @ 1280x720, 1.5 hours long and it takes 4.5 hours. I'm sure it would be alot faster if I wasn't doing it thru a virtual machine.

I ended up going with VMWare Fusion and found that Cyberlink PowerDVD doesn't work within virtual machines.

oceanbreeze2400

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
Would this work?

Hello,

just a thought... I don't have the hardware so I can't test it but could the following work to play blu-ray in os x?

Things you need:
Mac or Mac Clone w/ OSX 10.5
VmWare Fusion
AnyDvd HD
Windows Vista Home Premium or higher
USB Blu-ray drive
VLC media player

1. Install VMWare fusion and load windows vista.
-In the vmware settings add a new optical drive.
-Tell it to use a physical drive and to use the entire drive. Select the external blu-ray as this drive.
-If for any reason you have problems with this step see if you can add it as a USB device instead so Vmware has exclusive access to it.
-Use host only networking to create a private network between OS x and vista
2. Install anydvd HD on vista inside of vmware and make sure you have the blu-ray support turned on.
3. Insert a blu-ray movie into the usb blu-ray drive. Make sure to disable simple file sharing. Then share the entire blu-ray drive, you can give it whatever name you like. The name should remain the same no matter what disc you put in the drive, at least my dvd drive works this way.
4. In OSX, mount the network drive by using the private IP address of vista in vmware. example: smb://IP_ADDRESS/SHARE_NAME
5. Once the drive is mounted in OSx use vlc media player to play the contents of the network drive.

I am curious to see if this would work, I am able to remove encryption on DVDS on the fly using this method but I don't have a blu-ray drive so I am not sure if it would work with blu-ray.

If this works then you would just need vmware fusion running in the background and you can watch blu-ray movies on your mac!

If anyone has the necessary pieces and tries this let me know what obstacles you run into.

nhouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
I have the necessary components to do this though..

VLC doesn't have blu-ray playback support. You would have to open the m2ts files individually. I haven't tried it though don't think it would work as expected. I've even tried to playback via fusion and cyberlink though powerdvd prevents you from installing into a virtual machine. If you have boot camp setup, install cyberlink via boot camp and then reboot into osx and run fusion loading your boot camp partition, you might be able to playback blu-ray titles via fusion though haven't tried it.

Check out
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6878071#post6878071

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
If you own a blu ray disc -

Yes you can "archive" the disc to your hard drives.
No you cannot sell or give a copy of your disc to anyone.
--What give means is a free copy.

Blu Ray under Fusion or Parallels running XP.
Yes AnyDVD will work
Yes TSMuxer will work
Yes EACto(GUI) will work
No PowerDVD Ultra - software fails due to video device drivers not found
No to any other commercial Blu Ray player software
Yes XMBC can play back the MT2S files archived on your drive if your system is fast enough and you have at least core 2 duo.

(Boot Camp with XP will work with all of the above)

M2TS files from blu ray

Plex can play them back on Macs min spec Mac Mini 1.83, 2 gig RAM but skips frames. Mac Mini 2.0 2 gig Ram plays fairly well. Plex can play H.264, direct Mpeg and VC-1 (ALL M2TS files)

PS3 can play M2TS files if they are direct Mpeg or H.264. PS3 will not play VC-1 based files. This is a decision by Sony. The hardware is capable but Sony refuses to include (as well as MKV files).

Toast 9 with blu ray plug in - should be able to burn M2TS files to blu ray discs and possibly (though I have not tested) onto DVD medium. Toast should also be able to convert mpg files to M2TS if you want to standardize on one format.

Handbrake - Can convert M2TS VC-1 files to MKV with H.264. MKV can play with Plex and the additional compression should lower bit rate and reduce dropped frames. For PS3, you will need to convert the MKV (with AC3 Pass thru) to M2TS or another format that PS3 plays.

- Phrehdd

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Toast 9+ can burn Blu-ray file structures and video to DVD media. I've tried it, and it works well. You'll just be constrained for space and only be able to play it as you would any other Blu-ray. Worked exactly like one in my PS3.

webraider

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
If you own a blu ray disc -

Yes you can "archive" the disc to your hard drives.
No you cannot sell or give a copy of your disc to anyone.
--What give means is a free copy.

Blu Ray under Fusion or Parallels running XP.
Yes AnyDVD will work
Yes TSMuxer will work
Yes EACto(GUI) will work
No PowerDVD Ultra - software fails due to video device drivers not found
No to any other commercial Blu Ray player software
Yes XMBC can play back the MT2S files archived on your drive if your system is fast enough and you have at least core 2 duo.

(Boot Camp with XP will work with all of the above)

M2TS files from blu ray

Plex can play them back on Macs min spec Mac Mini 1.83, 2 gig RAM but skips frames. Mac Mini 2.0 2 gig Ram plays fairly well. Plex can play H.264, direct Mpeg and VC-1 (ALL M2TS files)

PS3 can play M2TS files if they are direct Mpeg or H.264. PS3 will not play VC-1 based files. This is a decision by Sony. The hardware is capable but Sony refuses to include (as well as MKV files).

Toast 9 with blu ray plug in - should be able to burn M2TS files to blu ray discs and possibly (though I have not tested) onto DVD medium. Toast should also be able to convert mpg files to M2TS if you want to standardize on one format.

Handbrake - Can convert M2TS VC-1 files to MKV with H.264. MKV can play with Plex and the additional compression should lower bit rate and reduce dropped frames. For PS3, you will need to convert the MKV (with AC3 Pass thru) to M2TS or another format that PS3 plays.

- Phrehdd

Phrehdd, you'll have to forgive my ignorance but can you be more specific on how to playback a BluRay DVD (encrypted) on a mac? I would have to strip it first, then archive it but how do I do that?. Then How would I play it back? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.