Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
when picking uo the Apple Watch from the charger, the bottom part of the watch got detached. Has anybody had this problem? any recommendations?

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
Hope this doesn't keep happening... I know it's a small percent compared to millions sold, but still not comforting to know our Watches may fall apart any minute.
when picking uo the Apple Watch from the charger, the bottom part of the watch got detached. Has anybody had this problem? any recommendations?
Contact Apple, best way to get it fixed correctly (or replaced).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Hope this doesn't keep happening... I know it's a small percent compared to millions sold, but still not comforting to know our Watches may fall apart any minute.

Problems tend to be amplified here so don't worry too much about them. I keep hearing about swollen batteries in the iPhone but have never personally encountered them going all the way back to the original iPhone. There's no reason to allow reported problems (including the so-called "Bendgate" which has died down) to cause discomfort.

Reactions: AppleWes

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It's super curious it even happens at all though, because the magnet keeping the charging puck stuck to the Watch really is quite weak. I'd be surprised if it could resist anything stronger than wet tissue paper actually, much less be able to suck the backpiece off... :p

I haven't seen any of the other cases mention if their watches were say, unusually warm for example; heat often losens these types of adhesives. That's the only thing I can think of that might be a cause for this to happen. I haven't really checked this out carefully myself, but when I've put my Watch on charging it doesn't seem to become particularly warm. However maybe this isn't true for everyone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Photo would be great and curious which watch was affected by this.

From one of the aforementioned threads:

483393-1fa0a80656d3f75f5c4b14d5c49ad386.jpg

Reactions: zaquinho17

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I've seen the threads and know what the watch looks like with the sensor off. More interested to see if you can see splotchy adhesive on this guy's and if this issue is affecting more than just the sport watch. The previous 2 were sports. Don't want to rehash the same comments people made on the other threads as to why there could be an issue. The OP should know Apple replaced the watch for them so he will be taken care of.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sounds like a very few did not get any glue. That glue is what keeps the watch water tight, so if they did not seal it properly water could get in, also.

I think this is very isolated.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Sounds like a very few did not get any glue. That glue is what keeps the watch water tight, so if they did not seal it properly water could get in, also.

I think this is very isolated.

Yeah, I bet those would fail immediately if submerged in the water so one can always do a water stress test within the 14-day return period to reveal the defect.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I bet those would fail immediately if submerged in the water so one can always do a water stress test within the 14-day return period to reveal the defect.

It kind of makes me wonder if there are some lotions or sunscreens that contain chemicals that are affecting the seals. Or perhaps some people have more acidic sweat than others? Or they are using some kind of abrasive cleaning solution while wearing the watch? I used to take care of the computers for the offices and front counter of an indoor pool, and it is amazing what the humid, chemical laden air does to hardware in that environment.

I don't usually purchased extended warranties, but in the case of the Apple Watch I paid the $50 for Apple Care. You just never know with a 1.0 product.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If the back pops off I bet they would swap the watch even without AppleCare+ assuming the rest of the watch looked like it was cared for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.