Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fixu86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Switzerland
Just wanted to pickup my AW from the charger this morning and it looked like this :eek:.
Heading for an Apple Store to get hopefully an exchange…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 1,310

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009

"Generally in my business we joke about parts that are glued together." - Ali Athari (@11:50)

I didn't know that the sensor part was also glued to the body. Check the above video at 2:20

Last edited:
Reactions: g-7 and AppleWes

Fixu86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Switzerland
I can clipp the sensor part back in but it holds only until I attach/disattach the charging cable for the next time.
Maybe it was glued as well and the glue let go because of the high temperature in the last weeks (hot summer)

Fixu86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Switzerland
Good grief! That's hideous! Was the watch hot to the touch? Mine has on a couple of occasions been hot to the touch when taken off the charger.

View attachment 568271
No it wasn't hot when I removed it from the charger. I've also had it getting warm while charging but not this time.
It was dark in the room and I was sleepdrunk, so first I didn't realize at all what happend. Not the way a monday should start!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I agree. Terrible way for your morning to start, but that's a Monday for you. Good luck and let us know how Apple responds to this. My watch has been exposed to a lot of heat and sunlight. But it's got the ceramic backing. I wonder if that makes any difference. It's possible you got one with a defect. Bummer.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
Looks like what happened to another person on the forms... except his Watch face/glass came off. It appears to be a defect with the glue holding each part together.

Hopefully we don't hear too many more of these reports!

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Looks like what happened to another person on the forms... except his Watch face/glass came off. It appears to be a defect with the glue holding each part together.

Oh I missed that post. I didn't realize the structural integrity of the watch relied so much on adhesives.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I didn't realize the structural integrity of the watch relied so much on adhesives.
Since they don't want screws visible on the outside casing of the thing they have to rely on glue. I feel it's a bit crap (especially on a gold watch going for a hundred grand or more), as it makes servicing so much more complicated, but on the other hand most people don't need any service so usually it works out fine anyway.

Reactions: 5105973

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I am sure Apple did it's homework on the glue. Glue is used to hold more and more stuff together than most of us realize.

Even our new cars use less fasteners and glue instead.

I would say these were likely a problem in assembly where someone forgot to apply enough glue or any all together.

Reactions: AppleWes

Fixu86

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Switzerland
Got some bad news:
I've been to the AppleStore with my AW. But no way to get an exchange, they will only fix my watch. This takes about 10 business days. I'm really disappointed because would this have happend to an iPhone I would have instantly get a new one. It looks like the service Apple has for the AW is not the same as for the other products…
I'm really pissed of, my Tissot I also own is doing perfect since over 6 years and the AW falls apart after 2 month of use. I don't want to imagine how the AW is doing after some years when it's already starting like this after a few weeks

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Since they don't want screws visible on the outside casing of the thing they have to rely on glue. I feel it's a bit crap (especially on a gold watch going for a hundred grand or more), as it makes servicing so much more complicated, but on the other hand most people don't need any service so usually it works out fine anyway.

Are their any 100k gold watches out there that use glue to hold them together?

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Got some bad news:
I've been to the AppleStore with my AW. But no way to get an exchange, they will only fix my watch. This takes about 10 business days. I'm really disappointed because would this have happend to an iPhone I would have instantly get a new one. It looks like the service Apple has for the AW is not the same as for the other products…
I'm really pissed of, my Tissot I also own is doing perfect since over 6 years and the AW falls apart after 2 month of use. I don't want to imagine how the AW is doing after some years when it's already starting like this after a few weeks

If you have Apple Care +, you could call or chat online and they could probably do an advanced replacement for your problem. The phone and chat is often better than the stores.

Of course, if you're in a return window, I'd try to go that route so that your serial number will still match your box though it's looking like there are enough problems, we will all eventually need replacements. I've had my haptic get so much weaker, I need a new one myself.

OOPS, My apologies. I didn't catch you're in Switzerland. I suppose the policies may be different there. Good luck! They may end up replacing yours once it gets to the factory but the wait is not really acceptable in my opinion.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Fair enough, but glue is a lot easier for people to understand (without sounding pretentious).

Interesting. I never considered precision in language to be pretentious. Nor do I feel the need to dumb down communications or expressions, I think that's an arrogant posture. Who exactly doesn't understand terms like "bonding agents" and/or "adhesives" ? I wouldn't expect to find that demographic well represented at a tech product site like this one.

In fairness my own use of the term "misrepresentation" in my original post is a bit harsh.. "imprecise" would be more appropriate.

cdewitt

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
My girlfriend goes to take her sports edition off the charger aaannnnddd..............

watch.JPG
watch2.JPG

This is astounding to me. She is taking it to a genius appointment in 30 minutes. Has anyone had similar problems?

Reactions: samiznaetekto

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Interesting. I never considered precision in language to be pretentious. Nor do I feel the need to dumb down communications or expressions, I think that's an arrogant posture. Who exactly doesn't understand terms like "bonding agents" and/or "adhesives" ? I wouldn't expect to find that demographic well represented at a tech product site like this one.

In fairness my own use of the term "misrepresentation" in my original post is a bit harsh.. "imprecise" would be more appropriate.

Get invited to many parties?

Reactions: jpgr15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.