Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
To be fair, it should mention the AirPods come with a battery case.

It's also misleading that the Dash shows "rechargeable on the go for 5 times" and it says nothing next to the AirPods, like it doesn't include a battery case.
Given the 24 h claim with the battery case for the AirPods, there should be a line of "rechargeable on the go for 5 times" (24 h - 5 h of internal charge on AirPods means 4x recharges giving 5 h each).

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
My take on the chart is that for twice the price, $150 more, the Bragi "Dash" offers waterproofing (to 1 meter, which is more incidental water contact than anything) and a couple features I would prefer to access on my phone anyway. Oh, and "five times" recharge which they deceptively forget to add as feature of the AirPods too, especially since the AirPod goes 24 hours with the case where the Dash just goes 20 hours, so I refuse to acknowledge that lie as a valid line in their comparison chart.

The advantage of the "Headphone" is $40 in price and poor noise isolation.

Even skipping the features that Apple's offering adds in (seamless integration with iOS, auto-pause when removed from the ears, presumably better sound quality and connectivity based on Dash reviews out there, microphone for calls and Siri, etc) this comparison chart is entirely not compelling.

Bragi had a time-to-market advantage, but IMHO they are not going to last very long amongst iPhone users unless they can innovate the hell out of the next six months. Maybe they just need to make the Android folks think they aren't missing anything major (although the AirPods work just fine with Android phones as well, a few of the unique aspects go away).

Reactions: Beck Show

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If the only benefits of "Headphone" are price and audio transparancy, that's a problem. The price is pre-order only, and the AirPods are naturally transparent because they don't seat into the ears.
Yes, but this also makes them nearly useless on airplanes and in other noisy environments, since they don't block out noise. This makes it hard to hear the music (and can also bother the person sitting in the seat next to you). The "audio transparency" feature is actually pretty brilliant, since you can switch between isolation and transparency depending on the situation.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
What they don't say, of course, is that the AirPods stop playing music (and actually turn off) when you take them BOTH out of your ears.
The "Dash" does that too (don't know about the "Headphone").
You can also double-tap to activate Siri.
Yes, but can you also control playback? The "Dash" supports a number of gestures, and the "Headphone" has buttons.
[doublepost=1473438731][/doublepost]
Look up Bragi on Amazon and the reviews are less than stellar. Biggest complaint is the Bluetooth connectivity, which is apparently terrible.
This has been much improved in recent firmware updates.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Although I hate the AirPods design, it feels like I just cut the wire off of my earpods. I gotta admit AirPods sound quaity is going to be much better than Bragi. Altough Bragi has all this added features but the audio transmission from phone to headset still a bluetooth. The diffentiating factor here is the quality of audio transmitted. "I THINK" that's where the W1 chip comes into place, receiving an ALMOST lossless audio from the device to the headset. I don't have any plans buying AirPods or Bragi or even the iPhone 7. But if I'm working out sound quality is not what I'm worried about. I just something to listen to and talk to someone else while doing the exercise. For now I'm going to enjoy my ATH M50x when I want to enjoy my music.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Might be just me, but I hear the outside world just fine with my standard iPhone headphones in (and would expect the AirPhones to be similar). Still, I take the headphone out when I am talking to someone, because it is ****ing rude to talk to someone with something in your ear that is noticeably not a hearing aid.
When the iPod become popular, people came up with so-called iPod etiquette rules. I cannot find the one I remember, but what I remember was: take out one earpod when you talk to somebody, take out both earpods when you talk to your boss. Here's a longer version with more levels: http://nymag.com/guides/etiquette/17332/index4.html (scroll down to 'audio').

My personal rule is take to take out one earpod when I have a rather non-personal interaction (eg, paying at checkout) and both earpods when it's a more personal or involved communication (pausing the audio in both cases).
[doublepost=1473439162][/doublepost]
Why does waterproof matter?
For small items not secured by anything that might drop out of your ear unexpectedly, I'd say it's a good thing. Then there is the sweat issue which certainly can be relevant when exercising.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69Mustang

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I've been waiting a long time for wireless headphones that just work and it looks like Apple delivered. I hope the media picks up on how big of a deal this is.

But it still boils down to sound quality and comfort. I'm looking forward to seeing if AirPod delivers on that front. If not, hopefully one of the beats headphones does.

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
To be fair, it should mention the AirPods come with a battery case, have easy pairing and automatic on/off, three features the Headphone don't have.

It's also misleading that the Dash shows "rechargeable on the go for 5 times" and it says nothing next to the AirPods, like it doesn't include a battery case.

Lastly, "Bragi OS update" as a point? That's pretty cringeworthy, reminds me of this:
2d58a287de28c48ebc771cb82b083052.jpg

Chances are the AirPods' firmware can be updated too, even Apple keyboards get firmware updates.

The headphone come with a battery case, just like the dash, just like the airpods. And the headphone just like the dash are automatic on/off

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
It is good to have choice. But I would wait for a relatively disinterested third party to do the comparison. Then I would decide based on the factors that are important to me.

Reactions: CarlJ

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The headphone come with a battery case, just like the dash, just like the airpods. And the headphone just like the dash are automatic on/off
The case that comes with the "Headphone" actually doesn't have a battery (and they are not compatible with the Dash case either according to Bragi's web page). Bragi should have included the charging case for the Airpods in their table.

Reactions: Beck Show and CarlJ

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
So much about the iPhone 7 and these AirPods DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE! I mean you could go on all day about these AirPods. How do you release the phone with an adapter included and then release the AirPods a month later??? And then there's no AirPods in the box??? Why do they cost $159 a pop??? I mean that's a jump?? Who's going to PAY this?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't lke the AirPods design, but even i can see that comparison is so biased it's nonsense.

Yah, how could "Bragi OS Updates" possibly be a feature/advantage of Apple AirPods?

"Brag"-i does it again... loses my vote.
[doublepost=1473439751][/doublepost]
What they don't say, of course, is that the AirPods stop playing music (and actually turn off) when you take them BOTH out of your ears. (You can still leave one in and music will still play.)

You can also double-tap to activate Siri.

AND 15 minutes of charge gives them a 3 hour battery life.

Oh, AND they switch, immediately, with no hasstle, between iPhone, Apple Watch and Mac.

Yup, these were the real advantages that Apple built in to their product. User experience.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
As a side note: girlfriend just back from work in full tech mode, asking "have you seen those fantastic wireless Apple earbuds?" (translation: would you gift them for my birthday?)

Last time I saw her in that mood: iPod nano introduction.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
To be fair, it should mention the AirPods come with a battery case, have easy pairing and automatic on/off, three features the Headphone don't have.

Lastly, "Bragi OS update" as a point? That's pretty cringeworthy, reminds me of this:

Chances are the AirPods' firmware can be updated too, even Apple keyboards get firmware updates.

The OS update made me chuckle, that was reaching at its finest!

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
So much about the iPhone 7 and these AirPods DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE! I mean you could go on all day about these AirPods. How do you release the phone with an adapter included and then release the AirPods a month later??? And then there's no AirPods in the box??? Why do they cost $159 a pop??? I mean that's a jump?? Who's going to PAY this?

$159 for wireless earbuds is nearly dirt cheap - for Apple, you could almost call it free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.