Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
It allows you to clearly hear your surroundings without taking the earbud out. A normal earbud that's sitting in your ear and not playing music will muffle external sounds around you. Audio transparency fixes that.
It's the opposite of what I want. The 2 places I use headphones are at work to drown out the noise of coworkers having "cube meetings" near me , and on the train I ride to work with it's loud horn, noise from the tracks, and loudspeaker announcements of "next in two minutes! make sure to make room for others! keep you commuter pass handy in case we need to check it! We're getting close to the next stop! ..." and many others. I wish that I could shoot the speakers, so that I can hear the podcast/music/lynda.com course that I am trying to listen to.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The only advantage Airpods have vs bluetooth competition is hassle free connectivity (limited to Apple products). Design is ridiculous. I prefer to have great isolation and option to control ambient noise.

Reactions: imlynxy

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
I like the sound, some people don't, but I like it. I also like the way they fit. I use complyfoam.com with them and this is perfect. What I like the most is the connection range. I left my iPhone on the floor and went to another side of my gym and music was still there. Almost lost the phone that day :) I also like that long press volume up skip to the next song, long press on the volume minus goes to the previous song. I don't need to count 1-2, 1-2-3 like I do with my Bose QC35.

I tried JayBird Freedom and it was not mine. 1. Control is heavy with a charging clip. 2. I misplaced my charging clip and couldn't charge them.

I don't recommend to buy X2 now full price, only a a huge discount, new X3 are coming very soon(rumors).

I try and get those comply tips for every pair of headphones I have. Its hard to explain the massive difference they make to someone who has never used them. It does seem to improve sound but the biggest reason I use is comfort and fit. They make wearing earbuds for long periods of time very comfortable. The difference in foam and those awful rubber/silicone tips all earbuds come with is huge. they make the earbud fit in your ear perfect and no more slowly sliding out over time. No more CONTANTLY pushing ear bud back in every 2 minutes. Just a great product.

At first I didnt think the stems were ugly, especially, I thought.....you need them, it gives you space to put the mic and probably adds more space to get longer battery life.
Then I realized I didnt know what I was talking about. They only get an hour longer battery and the bragi and other models dont have that stem AND have found space to add a mic to the device.
I, personally will be holding off. I will gladly pay extra for a better design. I just dont like the design of ear pods. They dont fit comfortably in my ear and if they did, they would just end up falling out. Im looking forward to a product more like, say, the Shure 315's. Its really what I expected Apple to put out to begin with. Oh well, Im sure in a couple years we will have them.
prod_img_se315_cap_l__27076_std.gif

chaicka

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Does the Bragi's have microphone that allows me to make phone calls or activate 'Hey Siri' to perform various tasks like create an event/schedule, text someone?

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
in don't want effin' updates for a damn pair of headphones!!
[doublepost=1473525577][/doublepost]
Im looking forward to a product more like, say, the Shure 315's.
I owned and loved them! if you can overcome the price, they're totally worth it.
besides sound quality, which is obviously better than what you get from stock earphones, i simply loved that cable and connector, words cannot describe (just because i'm not native english ahah)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
What I like about Bragi is the waterproof feature that allows you to use during swimming. The Apple pods don't offer it and that stick hanging out of your ears seems kind of silly.
But this comparison from Bragi is very biased.

rockinrakozy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
I was just at Best Buy last night and deicded to test out the Bose wireless headphones. I'm a fan of Bose and their headphones. Probably quite a few don't like Bose but...I just wanna say, the over-the-ear, both noise cancellation and non-cancellation were incredibly spectacular both in comfort, functionality and sound.

My gripe with these smaller earphones is the battery life. 4 - 5 hours is ok for the occasional short road trip but plane rides or longer road trips that might present a problem. The Bose in-ear headphones boast 6 hours but of course doesn't have all the other features as the Bragi. But the On-Ear and Over-Ear headphones feature 15-20 hours depending on the model. That seems a bit more reasonable for wireless headphones especially when pricing is compared.

My other gripe, and maybe it's not a big deal, but keeping track of your ear phones. I can understand a wire that wraps around your head from one speaker to the other, but has anyone tried these Bragi versions?

Reactions: Analog Kid

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I was just at Best Buy last night and deicded to test out the Bose wireless headphones. I'm a fan of Bose and their headphones. Probably quite a few don't like Bose but...I just wanna say, the over-the-ear, both noise cancellation and non-cancellation were incredibly spectacular both in comfort, functionality and sound.

My gripe with these smaller earphones is the battery life. 4 - 5 hours is ok for the occasional short road trip but plane rides or longer road trips that might present a problem. The Bose in-ear headphones boast 6 hours but of course doesn't have all the other features as the Bragi. But the On-Ear and Over-Ear headphones feature 15-20 hours depending on the model. That seems a bit more reasonable for wireless headphones especially when pricing is compared.

My other gripe, and maybe it's not a big deal, but keeping track of your ear phones. I can understand a wire that wraps around your head from one speaker to the other, but has anyone tried these Bragi versions?

The one major thing that really impresses me about the Apple AirPods is that you can get another 3 hours out of them with a simple 15 min. charge in the case. Even on a 16 hour plane trip, taking a 15 minute break every 3 hours is not a big deal at all. In fact, it's probably a good idea.

Reactions: CarlJ

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Do the AirPods have noise cancellation? They have the right hardware to support it, but I haven't seen it mentioned. That's a critical feature for me when it comes to air travel.

I can't believe AirPods don't get "Braghi OS Updates". What kind of company is Apple running?
I think the point, really, is that the Headphones don't have Braghi OS updates-- which i find kind of weird. As I understand it, the updates to the Dash have been significant in improving their performance over time.
[doublepost=1473537949][/doublepost]
Might be just me, but I hear the outside world just fine with my standard iPhone headphones in (and would expect the AirPhones to be similar). Still, I take the headphone out when I am talking to someone, because it is ****ing rude to talk to someone with something in your ear that is noticeably not a hearing aid. IMHO, I'd rather have better noise isolation than more "audio transparency" in earphones.

I see this "audio transparency" thing as Bragi trying to make a bug (poor noise isolation) into a feature.
The audio transparency feature let's you choose how much noise isolation there is. It's adjustable. The Dash is at least nominally targeting the fitness crowd, so being able to hear traffic and such when you want to, at the level you want to, is what they're after.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhayes444

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Might be just me, but I hear the outside world just fine with my standard iPhone headphones in (and would expect the AirPhones to be similar). Still, I take the headphone out when I am talking to someone, because it is ****ing rude to talk to someone with something in your ear that is noticeably not a hearing aid. IMHO, I'd rather have better noise isolation than more "audio transparency" in earphones.

While I agree in general, I do often wear hearing protectors at loud events (like bars with *way* too loud music to be healthy) and I do talk through them (they're special ones for musicians with a flat dampening curve so everything can be heard well - just quieter). They're etymotics, they're very noticeable because there's a stick coming out horizontally. I haven't found people objecting to that. In fact many of them would commend me on protecting my hearing. Which I need to do as I have already damaged my hearing (I have a noticeable dip in the voice frequency range).

Also I don't think it's a bug as such, the bragi feature can be turned on and off so it's not just poor isolation promoted as a feature.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
That's awesome feedback thanks. I need to spend some time trying these out somehow.
You are welcome.
After I wrote the "review" I decided to check if Bragi fixed their connection problems. Some Amazon reviews claim that 2.1 firmware improved Bragi bluetooth connection.
Also I found that Jaybird X2 are on a great sale and I bought one to use as a gift.
Also I found this video,it is a little bit outdated, it compares JayBirds X1 and Bragi( mostly Bragi review when they had 1.3 firmware)
I like Bragi idea, but I think I go with JayBirds X3 and keep my Apple Airbads in Apple's wearhouse.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Does the Bragi's have microphone that allows me to make phone calls or activate 'Hey Siri' to perform various tasks like create an event/schedule, text someone?
The "Dash" does. Don't know about the "Headphone" yet.

IMO the big advantage of these completely wireless earphones is for certain types of exercise. It can be annoying if the cable flops around, or the earbuds get slowly pulled out of your ears due to the cable's friction when it rubs against your neck. Cables also cause a certain amount of cable noise e.g. when rubbing against a shirt collar. Otherwise I also prefer the ones with a connecting cable, if only because you can simply hang them around your neck rather then putting them back into the case every time you take them out.
Do the AirPods have noise cancellation? They have the right hardware to support it, but I haven't seen it mentioned. That's a critical feature for me when it comes to air travel.
No.
I think the point, really, is that the Headphones don't have Braghi OS updates-- which i find kind of weird. As I understand it, the updates to the Dash have been significant in improving their performance over time.
The "Headphone" probably runs a much simplified firmware rather than the full "Bragi OS" with all the extra features like music player, fitness tracker etc. And the updates haven't just improved performance, but also added features (which is probably why it's listed as an advantage in the table). I think Bragi views the "Dash" more as "wearable computers" than just headphones.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
You are welcome.
After I wrote the "review" I decided to check if Bragi fixed their connection problems. Some Amazon reviews claim that 2.1 firmware improved Bragi bluetooth connection.
Also I found that Jaybird X2 are on a great sale and I bought one to use as a gift.
Also I found this video,it is a little bit outdated, it compares JayBirds X1 and Bragi( mostly Bragi review when they had 1.3 firmware)
I like Bragi idea, but I think I go with JayBirds X3 and keep my Apple Airbads in Apple's wearhouse.

These Bragi headphones look pretty amazing. Lots of issues apparently

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's going to be super fun in crowded and noisy subway with in-and-out data connections. "Siri raise volume" "Siri raise volume" "hey can everyone shut up for a second so I can raise my volume?"

THIS!! I used to love SonyEricsson Walkman phones like the W810i cause of great wired headphones and music quality back in the day. When I say iPhone/iPod Nano with ControlTalk headphones I was SOLD. Apple beat the market and gave us complete and discrete control over hour music: Play/Pause/Back/FWD/FFWD/FRWD yet now we're going backwards?!! GRrr Apple you're pulling a Greg!

I have The Dash and they are great.

Having not tried the AirPods there are some areas where I would like to see how they stack up.

Bragi has great fit, internal storage, can swim with them, fitness tracking, touch controls and a great design.

The stick ends of the AirPods make them look a bit fugly.

But the Dash have been improving but still have some connectivity issues. You can't walk away from your phone like you can with most BT. Keep it in your pocket or on your desk.

Also, looks likes Apple's will auto connect when you put one or both in your ear. Bragi has an issue here. If I put them both in my ear they auto connect. But if I want to listen at my desk with only one (yes transparency is great but people wait for you to remove it whereas with just one in they will come talk to you so usually wear just the right at work), it is a pain to get it to connect. Usually I have to go into my phone, go into settings and hit connect and double tap the earbud.

It is actually easier to put them both in, start playing music and then remove one. It also isn't as easy to answer a call if you have to put just one in.

However you can answer or reject calls by nodding or shaking your head. And that is really cool.

Bragi has definitely brought great features to the market something I think many of us where hoping to see with Apple.

Personally I've been using the Jabra Sport (the ones with heart rate sensor) and ControlTalk compatibility. Bass, Mids, and Highs are all great and balanced not overpowering and pick up sound EQ from iPhone quite well and distinctively (I know it's nothing special with Apple but at least it's discernible).

I've now lost TWO of these over the past 6 mths: one costed me $150CAN (sale), the other $175 (sale). these are usually $279. Yes I'm pissed yet more concerned like there's about the AirPods

AirPods:
Music sound quality in comparison to other leading Bluetooth stereo headphones?!
Voice call quality (cellular, VoLTE, local to app a la DuoLingo, etc) again over the competition which has had 12yrs since the original Ericsson Bluetoooth "Honker" headsets which even in their day with T-28W/T-36 was quite decent.

Remote control over music playback?? Could it be that Apple embedded basic controls from Siri within?! Doubtful they still have yet to figure out to get Siri to work online for basic tasks like: Date/Time, open an App, set a reminder/alarm.

$300.00 for the Bragi's is way more than I want to spend. I will most likely try the Airpods. They might be a hit wth some customers.

The competition is priced similarly for equal feature set and quality. You're paying for what you get. Economies of scale are currently not in the mass markets favour, not yet at least.

The AirPods are more comparable to the "Headphone". I personally think the AirPod is a poor design. First, they aren't really secure in your ear. Adding the stems, those things are going to be flying out of your ears all the time. Without the cord, this is a problem. The lack of the seal will make the audio quality lesser as well.

That's what's on everyone's mind fit performance. One would think these would be slightly larger that the typical EarPods holding more electronics and components.

Having such a table be biased is understandable, but... fitness tracking, really? That's just stupid. Unless you're wearing them as ear warmers, the AirPods only make sense when connected to an Apple Watch or iPhone, which do... fitness tracking.
[doublepost=1473453407][/doublepost]You can't know any of this. You're rating the sound of earphones you have against ones that neither you nor practically anyone else has yet tried. Early indications are that, though the AirPods resemble the EarPods, their fit is quite a bit more secure, which affects both sound quality and how well they stay in the ear. How about waiting until you've actually tried the AirPods before congratulating yourself on your smart purchase decision? What you've posted sounds a lot like "well, I haven't seen this movie, but here's my review..."

Lol, well said.

Ostagazuzulum

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
I'd give the AirPods a try but would like Apple to offer colour options (which would definitely sell) and provision of soft silicone sleeves for size and comfort as I found the EarPods painful after a while and one would always slip out! So I'm using Bose SoundTrue In Ear. Comfortable and 100% secure.

Here's a good recent review on the Bragi Dash. Although it is comparing to the Samsung Icon X, it covers all aspects of the Dash. The only real issue - apart from any BT connectivity for which Bragi have pushed an update - is outgoing voice on calls. Sounds are muffled. Will the Headphone be the same?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
So, I can get a pair of AirPods with a built-in 4GB music player, fitness tracking, Bragi updates and a bunch of other meaningless tat for only double the price?

Uhm... gotta dash

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
That's going to be super fun in crowded and noisy subway with in-and-out data connections. "Siri raise volume" "Siri raise volume" "hey can everyone shut up for a second so I can raise my volume?"

You probably didn't realize it, but you can use your phone or watch.
[doublepost=1473613950][/doublepost]
I'd give the AirPods a try but would like Apple to offer colour options (which would definitely sell) and provision of soft silicone sleeves for size and comfort as I found the EarPods painful after a while and one would always slip out! So I'm using Bose SoundTrue In Ear. Comfortable and 100% secure.

Here's a good recent review on the Bragi Dash. Although it is comparing to the Samsung Icon X, it covers all aspects of the Dash. The only real issue - apart from any BT connectivity for which Bragi have pushed an update - is outgoing voice on calls. Sounds are muffled. Will the Headphone be the same?

No, no worries about muffled sound[ that's the advantage of the AirPod design. The beam forming microphones will be a huge improvement over the "traditional" in ear only microphone design. For actually using the phone, people will rave about it when the reviews come out.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdonisSMU

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I had the Bragi Dash headphones and they were terrible. The sound was awful and they only stayed connected to bluetooth if you kept your phone in your right pocket if at all. Then it took like 4 hours to set up. it was a cluster all the way around. I was so disappointed in Bragi Dash wireless headphones.

if the airpods end up being terrible I will return those too. Bragi simply doesn't have enough information to be comparing anything. Qualitatively, they were objectively the worst wireless headphones I've ever owned.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
funny suddenly seeing all these paid ads from kanoa on here... why would anyone pre-order for $200 something from a no-name company that may never arrive while a well respected company like apple is selling theirs for less and no doubt have much more technology and research and quality behind them. this is the beginning of the end of other wireless earpod companies. once they release full sized good sounding regular headphones it will also put a pinch on the old-stalwarts, all except the really serious companies like sennheiser and audeze, etc. who are already working with them to stay ahead of the pack.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
What they don't say, of course, is that the AirPods stop playing music (and actually turn off) when you take them BOTH out of your ears. (You can still leave one in and music will still play.)

You can also double-tap to activate Siri.

AND 15 minutes of charge gives them a 3 hour battery life.

Oh, AND they switch, immediately, with no hasstle, between iPhone, Apple Watch and Mac.

i'm going to guess the one you take out of your ear does turn off which makes the most sense.
[doublepost=1473619933][/doublepost]
I'd prefer them to be in black. As a black man they too much of an eyesore.

racist

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
i'm going to guess the one you take out of your ear does turn off which makes the most sense.
[doublepost=1473619933][/doublepost]

racist

They both turn off because Apple has it set up that if you take one out, you most likely are trying to listen to somebody or something else- Genius

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.