Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I've just bought this new macbook air yesterday. and saw this tiny little missing corner next to the black hitch at the bottom. Other than that everything is perfect!
Should I return it or keep it?
Can you guys give me some suggestion please?
Many thz

When I read "missing corner," I expected something bigger. You can barely see this. It actually took me a minute to figure out what you're talking about, and to find it in the picture. If its worth the hassle of exchanging it, then do it. Otherwise just keep it. (I would keep it).

By the way, I think you confused people with "black hitch" when you meant hinge.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

I'm on my sixth Apple laptop and I've never considered looking at any of them that closely.

If it bothers you, return it. It's an expensive product, you should be happy with your purchase.

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Your MBA's top/side surfaces will look the same in a couple of months. Can't imagine that little ditch at the BACK of your laptop could bother anyone. Anyhow. Anywhen. I wouldn't even notice it, really.

I have no idea what you're doing to your laptop but I have been using my mba for a year, the past 7 months without a case, and there literally isn't a scratch on it (i do keep it inside a sleep in my laptop bag. The thing is made out of a block of machined aluminum so how you expect the topside to be full of chips after a year is beyond me.

When you resell that thing the buyer is going to notice - just like the OP did.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
I have no idea what you're doing to your laptop but I have been using my mba for a year, the past 7 months without a case, and there literally isn't a scratch on it (i do keep it inside a sleep in my laptop bag. The thing is made out of a block of machined aluminum so how you expect the topside to be full of chips after a year is beyond me.

When you resell that thing the buyer is going to notice - just like the OP did.
Mine wife's MBA has no scratches and abrasions either. It's anodized, so all the little scratches are wiped off easily. However, after two years of pretty careful usage, there are several tiny dips and dents here and there, similar to what we see at this thread's photo.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
OP, next time describe your so called missing corner properly. Its a tiny, tiny, really tiny nick.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 3.31.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 3.31.51 PM.png
    388.7 KB · Views: 133

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Return it. You've paid for a computer without scratches. If I was buying this second hand I'd chop a hundred or two because of this defect. I find this topic quite ridiculous, are you really in two minds whether you should return it or not. Of course, the answer is yes.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Return it. You've paid for a computer without scratches. If I was buying this second hand I'd chop a hundred or two because of this defect. I find this topic quite ridiculous, are you really in two minds whether you should return it or not. Of course, the answer is yes.

You expect perfect condition when buying a used computer? :rolleyes:

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw your user name.

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
I would send it back, if I received item like that it would be going back everyone is different though.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I'm curious if people that post these topics look at every large purchase they make the same way. If you buy a car and it has a spec of dust under the instrument cluster, do you take it back? Do you go over the bottom of the car with a magnifying glass to make sure that the sway bar doesn't have any nicks on it? Do you count the threads in your sheets to make sure they're all there?

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
If there isn't any other problem, I wouldn't take it back... it's barely visible and on the back of the machine.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
I'm curious if people that post these topics look at every large purchase they make the same way. If you buy a car and it has a spec of dust under the instrument cluster, do you take it back? Do you go over the bottom of the car with a magnifying glass to make sure that the sway bar doesn't have any nicks on it? Do you count the threads in your sheets to make sure they're all there?
I don't bother with a magnifying glass on a car or a spec of dust, it's really an unfair comparison, if this laptop was the size of a car that would be maybe an inch or more of smashed up car, that I'd car about. Something that size on an air is much more visible on a laptop than a car.

Also when considering a price to mass/size ratio, a mac air is much much more expensive than a car.

That isn't going to hurt resale.
As a purchaser it would definitely influence my purchase. It would be an indicator that the device has maybe had some drops or something in its lifetime.

==========

I'd return it, that's what's visible, however that may just be an indicator that there is also other damage inside that could begin to manifest over time.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I'm curious if people that post these topics look at every large purchase they make the same way.

Precisely.

If you pay for your own new car, a tiny dent on the bottom of your laptop becomes, in a relative comparison, insignificant.

Or if you make $100/hour. It takes you 3 hours to get to the Apple store and back, one would say a small dent like that is not worth $300. :)

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
You expect perfect condition when buying a used computer? :rolleyes:

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw your user name.
Although I didn't imply this with my answer to the topic, yes, I expect perfect condition when I buy a second-hand apple laptop - it shows how careful about the computer the previous owner was.

I'm glad you see my user name - this proves that, unlike the OP's computer, your eyes are in perfect condition.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Keep it, how often do you flip it over and examine the underside of a laptop? If you use a shell, you'll never see it and to be honest its so minor that its not worth the time and effort to exchange imo

My suggestion is don't go out of your way looking for flaws because you will always find them and never be happy.
Keep the MacBook Air, use it and enjoy it.

Good grief. :rolleyes:
Turn it over and keep it.

Personally it took me a good minute or so to find out what you were talking about, so I'd just keep it :p

you gotta be kidding me
did you examine every millimeter with a magnifying glass?

Basic rule of thumb: if you can only find the defect with a magnifying glass, and have to post a macro picture of it on the internet to get advice, it isn't worth returning for.
I mean really. Apple products may be great but they are made by humans, on Earth. Nothing is perfect.

If it works fine, take everyone's advice; turn it over and be happy. :) I mean you can't even see it, while using it.
Absolute perfection does not exist, not in this universe.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Reading some of these posts you would think you all never do a thing wrong. Apples products are 99.9% perfect you only ever hear about the .1% of the .1% of small faults.
I posted today on how happy I was with my new 2013 Air and the post was moved.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

And if I were selling that computer I'd tell you No. That tiny nick isn't worth ANYTHING off a used computer.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Bloody hell, thought you meant it was actually was actually missing a corner of the machine!

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Looks like impact damage and it should be returned. Let them sell that beat up thing to some sucker in the refurb store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.