Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Disagree.

A man murders, rapes and kills multiple people and continues to do so until he is caught by authorities. Say he kills your mother, father, brother or sister. Should we then put him in a prison with non-violent offenders where he may kill someone else? Did that man have the right to take your family's lives?

No, of course he didnt. But again, nobody has the right to take anyones life.

We put down animals that just bite people. I don't see why we can't "put down" mentally capable humans that would continue to murder if given the opportunity.
So you think an animal (mentally uncapable) is comparable to a mentally capable person?

Instead we set them up in prison with a warm bed, internet, television and 3 square meals a day. Yeah, it's no Embassy Suites, but it is much better treatment than that person could ever deserve.

Oh get real. A murderer spends their days in a high security facility, with very little in the way of amenities. Dont make it out like they get to sit around watching TV, surfing the web, etc as thats complete bollocks. People in for lesser crimes in low-medium facilities do however get those benefits. It does however depend on your government.

In any case, thats a pretty idiotic thing to say. "We kill them otherwise they sit there watching TV and surfing the web" - if this was even remotely true the answer would be to take away the TV and internet, not kill them.

It's unbelievable how backwards some peoples views can be. I still dont get how people who support the death penalty can be religious either...but thats for the politics forum.

Dont kid yourself into thinking the death penalty is anything short of murder in itself.

A prime example of how screwed up it is - A British grandmother was forced to traffic drugs into Bali otherwise her children would have been killed. She got the death penalty for it. Yeah thats fair isn't it...

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
Good luck getting Apple to do anything if your apple devices are stolen.

If you co-found the company and then spend much of the rest of your life working there as a top executive while leading it to previously unimagined successes your chances are much better, and rightly so IMO.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I say give the bastard two life terms with no chance of parole. and as an added bonus, make him use an Android device the entire time.

that'll teach him not to F with an Apple God. lol

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
PTSD, really?!?! as in war PTSD?

You do know you don't need to have been in war to get PTSD, right? It's post traumatic stress disorder. Not post military service disorder. Any traumatic stress can trigger it, and some people are going to be more susceptible than others.

Of course soldiers are repeatedly exposed to traumatic events, so they do tend to get it "worse" - but there are plenty of civilian scenarios that can trigger similar issues. For some it can be as simple as a car accident. Home invasion is certainly another stress for many.

----------

No, of course he didnt. But again, nobody has the right to take anyones life.

So you think an animal (mentally uncapable) is comparable to a mentally capable person?

Oh get real. A murderer spends their days in a high security facility, with very little in the way of amenities. Dont make it out like they get to sit around watching TV, surfing the web, etc as thats complete bollocks. People in for lesser crimes in low-medium facilities do however get those benefits. It does however depend on your government.

In any case, thats a pretty idiotic thing to say. "We kill them otherwise they sit there watching TV and surfing the web" - if this was even remotely true the answer would be to take away the TV and internet, not kill them.

It's unbelievable how backwards some peoples views can be. I still dont get how people who support the death penalty can be religious either...but thats for the politics forum.

Dont kid yourself into thinking the death penalty is anything short of murder in itself.

A prime example of how screwed up it is - A British grandmother was forced to traffic drugs into Bali otherwise her children would have been killed. She got the death penalty for it. Yeah thats fair isn't it...

Who are you to say nobody has the right to take a life? That's simply you're belief based on your morals. In my opinion, if you murder someone, you forfeit your right to life. Of course I would need very strong evidence before agreeing to an execution, but I do believe it is justified in those cases where there is no doubt.

Toadstall

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Essex UK
just my view - while im logged in

All personal crimes (I know personal is subjective) should carry a higher sentence.
When they put me in charge - 3 strikes = throw away the key.

Spose Ill have human rights activists camping on my lawn now :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
What kind of college dorm consists of a basketball court filled with hundreds of people, some quite violent, sleeping in closely packed three level bunk beds? Where do you get your impressions about what a prison looks like?

movies! they never lie in the movies, do they? just like they don't like in the internets.

you have a point though. I guess it's all relative. For most of us prison is a nightmare, but there are some neighborhoods which are as rough so I'm not sure prison will be a downgrade. It's sad really.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
From Wikipedia:
"On June 29, 2009, Chin sentenced Madoff to the maximum sentence of 150 years in federal prison. Madoff's lawyers originally asked the judge to impose a sentence of 7 years because of Madoff's old age."

Bernie is currently 75 and has served 3.5 years so far. If he dies before he turns 79, he would have not served 7 years for the crime!!

"IF" he dies before 79. He also could live to a ripe old age of 90+.

Regardless of how long Madoff lives, surely the change in lifestyle alone has got to be quite punishing. Earned and deserved.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
7 Years!? Ok, lets see.

Michael Vick, dog fighting ring, many dead, abused animals, illegal gambling, etc. 23 months.

Chris Brown, domestic violence, beat a women, no jail time, 1400 hours community service.

Don King stomped a man to death, got 4 years in prison.

Mike Tyson, raped a women. 6 year sentence.

Yeah, 7 years seems right. :rolleyes:

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Sympathy, Really?

Theft is theft. This idiot would have taken more valuable items if he could identify, carry, and get away with them. I'd give him 6 months-1 year for each year those devices continued to function properly.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
7 years, seems about right but I bet it was the maximum he could get or near it just because it was the Jobs home which they should have secured in the first place. If it was undergoing refurbishment and was going to be open, they should have hidden the jewellery at the VERY least.. because for items to be worth 60k, it has to be some VERY expensive jewellery left out! That Apple gear would have only nudged what 8 grand?

THE biggest and worst criminals in my mind of the last fews years is most definitely the banks of London and New York and the governments of the time of the UK and America. What they colluded to do was utterly despicable, they ALL got away with it and are still screwing everyone else over so one tradesman can gloat how he got a bigger bonus then his mate next to him!

Last edited:

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Sadly your responses are most likely due to the fact it was the home of the Almighty independently wealthy Steve Jobs who was the CEO of one of the biggest companies world wide so you probably feel the criminal only deserves a slap on the hand. :rolleyes:

In other parts of the world, the legal systems are way more sophisticated, than to just give harsh sentences for criminal offenses - if it helped, maybe USA wouldn't still be as messed up as it is.
In Denmark we've got a popular expression with USA which roughly goes something like this "That would be like american conditions!" - it's used when something is absurdly primitive, you really are a laughing stock in other places.

It's irrational (not to say horrendously ineffective) to seek retributive justice, it's not the criminal's fault that he is the way he is, why should he suffer? - he's just as much a victim of circumstance as his own victims. Justice should be about protecting the people and correcting the offenders (not punishing them).

My mother was the victim of burglary, she hardly cared, and I don't think the victim got more than a fine either. There's a huge difference between burglary and armed private robbery, but even that should not be met with such a hard sentence unless we're talking repeated offenses.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
In other parts of the world, the legal systems are way more sophisticated, than to just give harsh sentences for criminal offenses - if it helped, maybe USA wouldn't still be as messed up as it is.
In Denmark we've got a popular expression with USA which roughly goes something like this "That would be like american conditions!" - it's used when something is absurdly primitive, you really are a laughing stock in other places.

It's irrational (not to say horrendously ineffective) to seek retributive justice, it's not the criminal's fault that he is the way he is, why should he suffer? - he's just as much a victim of circumstance as his own victims. Justice should be about protecting the people and correcting the offenders (not punishing them).

My mother was the victim of burglary, she hardly cared, and I don't think the victim got more than a fine either. There's a huge difference between burglary and armed private robbery, but even that should not be met with such a hard sentence unless we're talking repeated offenses.

You've gotta be kidding me and yourself. Maybe that nonsense comes from "Denmark Conditions" :rolleyes:. And also, read the whole article next time rather than the headline.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
How does this benefit society? Odds are this guy will not come out wiser from prison. Instead, we tax payers get to pay for some criminal's advancement in his criminal education, which he will most likely employ upon his release.

P.S. I have to say, I am relieved to read most of the responses on here. It's clear that the American public has not completely lost perspective on what justice should be, even if our courts have.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Wonderland

America is still largely uncivilized. The still practiced death penalty is nothing but legalized killing. The noted pizza slice thief with a 25 year sentence and Saturday morning gun shopping with kids at local sporting goods stores after a breakfast that could feed two Sudanese families, - are all testimony to the largely dysfunctional "melting pot" country with a black president and ghettos in every city with homeless people all over the place looking for food in trash cans and begging for a buck by the hundreds of thousands.

Consider the all American invention of a warrant for arrest when a traffic citation is ignored. Forget to pay for this significant crime and you will be restrained, put down, jailed and humiliated like the animal you are.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I wouldn't want my consumer products stolen, and a 7 year sentence sends the right message to other criminals. I think the punishment is about right.

Unfortunately there is little evidence that longer sentences are a greater deterrent. If anything, it gives the riminal more time to learn from all the other inmantes, and more likely to become violent when faced with capture when recommiting (because locking someone up doesn't often rehabilitate).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
America is still largely uncivilized. The still practiced death penalty is nothing but legalized killing. The noted pizza slice thief with a 25 year sentence and Saturday morning gun shopping with kids at local sporting goods stores after a breakfast that could feed two Sudanese families, - are all testimony to the largely dysfunctional "melting pot" country with a black president and ghettos in every city with homeless people all over the place looking for food in trash cans and begging for a buck by the hundreds of thousands.

Consider the all American invention of a warrant for arrest when a traffic citation is ignored. Forget to pay for this significant crime and you will be restrained, put down, jailed and humiliated like the animal you are.

Whilst I agree in part (Man VS Food shows Americas diet!), America is in no way the worst country on Earth, they are most certainly not the only country to use the death penalty and compared to China, the worlds manufacturing plant, then Americas human rights are an utterly golden bliss!
Oh and I'm not American, I'm British.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL

That's the most messed up thing I've read in a very long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.