Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrimux

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.

some time ago I had to do some research on how people evaluate different delicts and it turned out that people tend to think it is a bigger crime to take away other people's property than hurting somebody (which was the base theory anyway - and which is also how law is executed). This was in Europe.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
Every other post in here is about how "harsh" the sentence was, and every reply to every other post indicates that the guy burglarized several homes and ripped off tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff in total.... How many more pages are going to scroll by just because MacRumors has turned into a place where people vent their frustrations about society on every article they never properly read?

Mods take note: THIS is why I rarely come here now.

The story is about theft of property. Why are you whining, everyone but you has been on topic. Perhaps you should be properly reading the articles and stop the QQ'ing. :(:(:(

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
"REACT officers found McFarlin with help from Apple security, which tracked where the stolen devices were being used by matching their serial numbers with connections to Apple iTunes servers."

Great, where do I go to have Apple do this for the iPhone stolen from me?

(somehow I think Apple is playing favorites in this case)

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
Did youactually read his post?:confused:

* Every other post is about how harsh the sentence was
* Every reply indicates that he burgled and ripped off lots stuff

He went on to complain about how a story about a criminal act turned into a discussion about society. He also implied that "they" ( everyone ) "never" ( an absolute statement? ) properly reads anything. Yes. I did ACTUALLY read his post hence my specific reply. Posting about a criminal act is 9/10 going to open a discussion related to society. Essentially he's attacking people for having a discussion that doesn't fit his own criteria for posting on MR. /lame

Last edited:

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Still can't believe some of the replies defending this guy....if it were your homes and items you'd be crying a different tune. Just because he stole from "someone with money" means he should get a slap on the wrist as punishment?:confused: So with that logic I guess it's ok to steal from rich people or anyone you think has more money than the average individual.

He should get more time as far as I'm concerned...

rjc74

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Portland, OR
So does this mean Apple has the capability to track stolen Apple devices for customers, but just wont't?

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! This is BS. Would I receive the same assistance if I came home to find my iMac, MacBook Air and iPhones missing? Like hell I would. 7 years is RIDICULOUS! No weapon was used. Nobody was injured. This is not justice. This is an overzealous prosecutor making a name for him or herself given the fact it's a somewhat high profile case.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.

The 7 years is not so much for sealing an iPad. It is for breaking into multiple homes. He would likely get as many years if he only broke in, wondered around then left without taking anything.

It is a very different thing to break into a house and take an iPad then to take the same iPad from a store where the public is invited in. The 7 years is for "breaking and entering"

Also "7 years" is the nominal time which is NOT the time he will be locked up. He will be up for parol 1/3rd of that time. it is very likely he will be out in about 30 months. Parol allows one to serve the remaining 2/3 if the sentence at home while under supervision

Last edited:

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I caught my neighbor stealing cable from me one time. Broke open my little cable box outside, hooked up a splicer and ran it right into his place. The cops laughed at me.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
$60,000 worth of Apple products...... [he] stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV.......I know apple mark up the price of their products, but come on $60,000.....

Must have been the bling....

You know how mad Steve got at Google for coming out with a phone. Imagine if you literally stole from Steve.

Thermo-nuclear war?

This idiot will cost taxpayers over $40k per year in prison, a place where he is probably comfortable and can meet up with sweaty men. Better is making offenders work at useful things as work is the one thing they hate and avoid.

Siberia comes to mind.

I assume you've never been the victim of a home invasion. It changes your life.....It's a total violation of your liberty and security. It's not the loss of some consumer items......

Nail>head. Only people who have ever been the victim of a burglary, can truly appreciate how violated and vulnerable it makes one feel; not being able to feel safe and secure in the one place, where you should be able to feel safe and secure. Property can be replaced; it may take years, before you can feel reasonably safe again in your home, if ever. Many people are forced to move, in order to get on with their life.

It's a lot more than a few material things taken from you.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple

You ever exceed the speed limit while driving? Jaywalk? Spit on the sidewalk?

Please head down to the local execution chamber as you have violated a law... thanks for playing, have a nice day...

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
I had a nice Mont Blanc gold-tipped fountain pen, but a monkey stole it from me.

(Seriously, while visiting a temple in the north of Thailand - a temple monkey grabbed it from my pocket and scurried up one of the towers...)

First, I hope you had travel insurance, and more importantly I hope you made claim. That would've made somebody's day reading that. :)

cobrakid01

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
stupid is stupid does

I guess dumb people that steal apple products still don't get it......you can be found.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Praise his home.. :)

then i'll continute that with.... "people that steal everything can be found out"

just another stick in the sand.....

But thats only because people who steal are dumb..... Its not the fact that they didn't know what their doing... They are well aware of it.

Its the fact, they don't hide their tracks.... that's even more dumb.

Last edited:

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
I love these kinds of threads because it gives non-Americans a chance at taking a stab at something the US does incorrectly -- at least in their opinions. Guy gets 7 years for burglary and people damn US penal system because they don't realize he's been arrested before for burglary and Steve's house wasn't the only one he broke into in this charge. Seven is an extremely light sentence for what he did considering his history. Many judges would have just thrown the book at him. If he behaves himself he'll serve 3.5 years and get out on parole, serve the rest on probation.

Meanwhile a sicko in Norway pulls an Oklahoma City by blowing up a building then decides to go on a shooting rampage. He gets 21 years in a prison many of us would probably commit a crime to live in. However, before we laugh at how stupid the 21 year sentence is the state can keep him there as long as he's deemed a threat. So, they say he has 21 years but he really has life or near-life in prison. Penal systems are vastly different around the world, and all have their ups and downs.

That's not to say there's nothing wrong with our penal system in the US, but if we took away the people in our country in jail or prison for simple possession of marijuana we'd still have an incarceration rate on the high side but not so astronomically higher than the rest of our economic neighbors. It's part of the result of the US's lovely war on drugs that's destroying our neighbors to the south and making us go further bankrupt over nothing. The resultant middling high incarceration rate from getting rid of weed lovers would simply be due to our higher handgun murder rate, and that's for another discussion...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Still can't believe some of the replies defending this guy....if it were your homes and items you'd be crying a different tune.

If it were your home, you would be emotionally involved and not capable of responding in an objective and fair way. If you were the burglar you would also be crying a different tune, and you wouldn't be responding in an objective and fair way either.

----------

Thief: "But, your Honor, the man was wearing a Rolex so naturally I assumed he could afford to lose his car. How was I to know he lost his job and was supporting his two destitute parents?"

Judge: "In consideration of the the Defendant's thoughtful selection process, I'll provide a minimum sentence. The fact that it caused harm is unfortunate, but not the thief's fault. I commend your discernment in victim selection."

It gets better. "Mr. Victim, please prove to the court that you couldn't afford to donate your radio to the thief. His sentence will depend on whether you could afford to let him steal it."

That is totally idiotic. If you commit a crime, you take responsibility for all the consequences. In the USA, if a person dies as the result of the crime (even if there was no intention to injure that person), it will be murder. So if you think the victim is rich and you are wrong, no points for that. The proper way to avoid robbing a poor person is not to check whether the person looks rich or not, the proper way is not to rob people.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Wow seriously people? 7 years is harsh? Too much? It should be more! Theft/burglary is a deliberate crime. This isn't like speeding which can happen without you realizing it.

If people were less sympathetic to crooks and criminals, the world would've been a better place.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
"REACT officers found McFarlin with help from Apple security, which tracked where the stolen devices were being used by matching their serial numbers with connections to Apple iTunes servers."

Great, where do I go to have Apple do this for the iPhone stolen from me?

(somehow I think Apple is playing favorites in this case)

Wow! this would be a great service for Apple to offer owners, when my iPad got stolen I had to go out and buy another one...

Oh wait....

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The US justice system is broken:

We have 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners. 39% of prisoners are black but on 13% of the US population is. The recidivism rate in the US is about over 60% that 10%-30% higher than the rest of the developed world.

But yea lets continue on the path we've been following ya know "kill-em-all and let god sort them out" or baring that throw the in jail for a good long time that'll teach 'em. I mean it's proven effective so far :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.