Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
QCassidy352 said:
But again, in a few weeks this will all be moot. :)
It won't be moot to those of use that don't want a rev a machine no matter what. I am in the same boat as a poster above that wants to replace his mini with a 12" pb. Is the screen on the 15" or 17" noticeably better than that on a 12"? I know the 15s/17s have extra features such as a backlit kb and ability to drive the 30" display, but what about the screens? Whatever I get I want to replace my mini and still attach to my 20" 2005fpw.

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
The main reason I want a PB over the iBook is because of the DVI out as someone mentioned. The tv/monitor I use in my room looks so much better DVI than VGA. I lost a deal I had on a PB today... I was angry and still am very much so! :( :mad: :p

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Ehh, so much speculation about the MacBook...

Oh well, but really, WAIT if you can! I'm sure there'll be many reasons to get the MacBook once it's released! And the thing is, if you're worried about Revision A products, Apple seems to rush production on "popular" products, which is why the first shipment of MacBook Pros had some problems with noise, etc. I haven't really heard any issues with the iMacs or the Mac Minis, since they haven't sold at the rate that the MacBook Pros have. So I'm pretty sure that Apple is making sure that the MacBooks will have none of these issues.

About the DVI connector...I assume Apple will put monitor spanning on the MacBooks, since the new iMac has that capability now. It seems like they're moving away from VGA completely, since the iMac G5 had a VGA connector. Oh well, it's fun to speculate huh?

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
QCassidy352 said:
I'm using the ibook hack right now; it's great. But you can still only do VGA, so I'd agree: if you want a big external monitor, get the powerbook for DVI.

But again, in a few weeks this will all be moot. :)

i use the clamshell hack that puts all the vram of the ibook to the external display, but even so, i feel foolish doing it because i feel liike it's a feature apple SHOULD HAVE included on their ibooks and it was completely idiotic to do that to the ibook/pbook line to differentiate them. maybe i'll use the hack again one day but for now i'm happy with my ibook's lcd.

using it to span two monitors while using the higher resolution output of the external is really taxing on the ibook's vram. everything gets choppier.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
The Truth:

The current powerbook 12in is an awesome machine...its a rev E and reliable, it runs software natively, and within reason, is really fast. When I compare my powerbook to other's windows laptops it runs rings around them. However, since my girlfriend got a mbp, it seems slow by comparison, which really does hark to what we will see relatively soon. The issue is though that if your using ilife, surfing, office work, then the current model will be wonderful, it is only if you really need lots of power that the mbp becomes essential.

Biggest assets of powerbook:

Form factor: we don't know whether the new small mbp will be a 12in or 13in widescreen, personally, i'm not a fan of small widescreen displays, and would rather an update of the current form factor (i.e. non widescreen 12in display)

Reliability:It just 'works'

Relative Speed: It is fast as long as you aren't doing too heavy stuff

Biggest assets of mbp (12/13in):

Screen: will be much better in terms of resolution and brightness

Speed: Need I say anything

General: Newer, more future proof machine

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
student_trap said:
The Truth:

The current powerbook 12in is an awesome machine...its a rev E and reliable, it runs software natively, and within reason, is really fast. When I compare my powerbook to other's windows laptops it runs rings around them. However, since my girlfriend got a mbp, it seems slow by comparison, which really does hark to what we will see relatively soon. The issue is though that if your using ilife, surfing, office work, then the current model will be wonderful, it is only if you really need lots of power that the mbp becomes essential.

Bingo.

I'm still thinking of picking one up myself (once the new Macbooks are released), if the prices are low enough. 12" portability is always very nice.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
IMO nothing out beats the 12 inch right now when it comes to portability. I love mine and Im maxin´out the ram today. Its a great little machine and Im sure it will serve me well.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
oddd. apple doesnt have any 12" refurbs.. anyone know if they will get them?

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I picked up a 17" PB on deep discount. I have to agree... if you need it or it has special appeal for you, get it. All the software you need now, in the near future, and from the far past will work on it. You won't have to worry about rev A problems.

Sure it won't last forever, but if you're NOT computing to the nth degree or if you really DON'T GIVE A DAMN whether it takes 30 seconds or 55 seconds to paginate a 200 page document, or whether you can only transfer 8 songs/min versus 12 songs/min (or some other seemingly pointless benchmark), then who cares? :rolleyes:

Not that I'm knocking the latest-and-greatest, but keep in mind that Apple time is NOT equal to real time.

Waiting for product announcement = now to 6 months from now...
Product announcement = 1 month to go before shipping...
Shipping start = 2 more months to wait...

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
direzz said:
oddd. apple doesnt have any 12" refurbs.. anyone know if they will get them?

I saw one earlier today. 1099 for combo drive 1.5ghz 512mb.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
they pop up from day to day. Just check regularly and be ready to jump on it if you see it there. That model for $1099 and the same model but with a superdrive is often there for $1199...

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
direzz said:
ah!!!! that would be awesome for my needs!!!

Hey direzz, I sent you a PM. Would you be selling your Vaio if you do get a PB? I might be forced to use a PC for law school.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I dont really see the downside of picking up a 12" PB right now. I myself about two weeks ago, after searching and just reading around on MacRumors i started have the urge to want one myself. I had a nice 1.42 iBook w/ a gig of ram. But I reasearched on ebay and saw i could get around a grand to 1100 for the iBook. So i listed it got rid of it cause it wasnt my main computer and talked to a MR friend TeeRex and he was getting rid of both his and his wife's 12" PB's cause they just purchased two MBP's. I offered him 1100$ and in 4 days i had my 5 Month old 12" PB and I must say its a great little Machine even with 768 ram in it (goning to max it out very soon). There wasnt a huge speed bump from 1.42-1.5 and it has a Superdrive so it really isnt that big jump on specs. But when it comes to size and portability compared to the iBook the PB wins all. I'd def say pick up a refurb just to save some cash, also if another MacBook or 12 MBP is released you could easily ebay it and be out just a little under for what you pay. Thats the greatest thing about Apple's is the resale value and demand.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
^^^
yea thats what i was thinkin, so i think im going to grab a 12 inch asap. i wouldnt feel comfortable buying a rev a 13inch macbook whatever so 12 inch it is. im excited. now if only i could sell my sony vaio :(

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
anyone have any idea how much the 12" powerbooks are gonna go for once the intel macbooks are released? i mean based on past market prices and all...

Daeman

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2005
North curry/Chester Uni
just to reassure those thinking of buying the 12" PB. Ive had mine 6 monthes now and have loved it. After switching from a dire pc. It was a breath of fresh air. i think the screen is great however i really havnt had much to compare it to . i should get more ram soon but apart from that have had no problems at all.
Never had a kernal panic
Only had to do a hardrestart once and the restart smoothed all problems over
No problem with airport ( i get next doors connection with ease ) and no i dont steal it. its a terrace of university houses.
i would however suggest a superdrive as mine has really come in handy even though i didnt think it would.
Lj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.