Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeholenko

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Fargo, ND
walmart has few iPad 2's...

Stopped by my local Walmart Superstore at 9PM in a suburb of Minneapolis. They had only 4 iPad 2's behind the counter and looked like they were all black... Mall of American Apple Store here i come at 2:30pm tomorrow.

chequepoint

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
I assumed after you bought it you'd then get in a different line for set up. This way, the buying line is not delayed. Is this not the way it works?

Wasn't for iphone 4. After a 13 hour wait in line, because they hadn't figured out how the "fastpass" system works at Disneyland, or at least how they could apply it to that situation, I walked in and said "This needs to go fast, spare me the ********, add the serial number to my account, charge my card, and let me go home" and they still made me sit through the nearly 40 minute condescending presentation. It's all part of the "Experience" of being talked down to by someone who doesn't earn enough money to even buy the product you're purchasing.

Allanf

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Local Availability in Green Bay, WI

Some updates from what I have learned from my local stores (just so you know, I live in a city with 20,000 college students at a major university, so it is not a small town):

1. Best Buy: Best Buy tells me that each store will receive a minimum of 5 of each color per model for the WiFi only (that means each store will have a minimum of 30 (6 models X 5)). My local Best Buy does not have an Apple Store so they are not getting 3G models.

2. AT&T: My local AT&T Store is sure they are getting some in, but they will not have them until tomorrow morning. They are unsure of how many and what colors.

3. Verizon: My local store will be able to order them only

4. Walmart: They have not opened to box to see what they have. They are certain, however, they will only have black.

5. Target: They had opened their shipment and they only have WiFi models. All black. He refused to give me a number.

6. There is a local authorized Apple dealer/repair shop and they ordered some of each model and color, but will not know if they will have any until tomorrow morning.

My nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, so I am hoping AT&T gets some white 3G models!
Regarding AT&T: I checked with the AT&T Store in Green Bay (250,000 Pop in our "market area") and two guys who seemed to know what was going on told me very specifically that they will have no iPad2s in stock Friday afternoon. They will take orders at 5 PM for future delivery and they have no idea when they will receive iPad2 inventory for orders they take.

Regarding Best Buy: You will have to wait outside in a line and between 4 and 4:30 pm they will hand out tickets for as many iPads as they have in stock. They apparently have received some and hope to receive more Friday morning.

nycdesigner

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
That is not actually entirely true either. Apple did not sell out of the iPad 1 for awhile. I actually bout mine about a week and a half after they came out and got it no problem. I expect initial stock of iPad 2 to go about the same. They will likely eventually sell out, but I bet I could walk into my local Apple store this weekend and walk out with one no problem if I wanted, rather then wait for the 5 pm launch tomorrow.

I agree. I bought my iPad the morning after the last launch. They had a few hundred. But I live in NYC, and we have four (soon-to-be-five!) Apple stores.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I agree. I bought my iPad the morning after the last launch. They had a few hundred. But I live in NYC, and we have four (soon-to-be-five!) Apple stores.

This was also when many had no idea what an iPad is, what it does or how it feels in their hands. It should be a little different this year.

The Bossman

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Philly
I wonder if the stores will have the leather covers to go along with them.
The poly ones look like ass.

Edit: see what happens when i take too damn long posting... my questions get behind my answers...lol

Last edited:

t_coop10

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 418

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am an electronics sales associate at Walmart and we have received email saying that we are not suppose to have them on the floor nor can we sell the until 5 pm much like Apple. The registers have it blocked until 5 to keep people from purchasing it early.

the Email

Looks like someone didn't get the email.

Every village needs an idiot. In a village of Best Buy, Target, AT&T and Verizon stores, leave it to Walmart to create a "secure location" on the sales floor.

But I do believe the registers will block any sale before 5 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

t_coop10

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Looks like someone didn't get the email.

Every village needs an idiot. In a village of Best Buy, Target, AT&T and Verizon stores, leave it to Walmart to create a "secure location" on the sales floor.

But I do believe the registers will block any sale before 5 pm.

haha o trust me i know. Many a people who work for walmart are stupid as hell. lol i hate the company but living in a small town not very many places to work. i was just showing the email that all the stores received. also it is true walmart stores will only receive a handful for the initial launch(i believe we are getting 11 altogether) and yes we are getting white ones.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Wow, so much Walmart hate. Don't you know Walmart is just a big local
corner store?*

(*just like the iPad is just a big iPod Touch...)

jamiek88

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Just waiting until 3:01 AM central.

Come on lucky 64gb ATT 3G!

I fly to Europe Weds, wonder if there's ANY chance of getting it before then?

If of course I'm lucky enough to get through the no doubt server crashes.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Just waiting until 3:01 AM central.

Come on lucky 64gb ATT 3G!

I fly to Europe Weds, wonder if there's ANY chance of getting it before then?

If of course I'm lucky enough to get through the no doubt server crashes.

Do you wait until 12:01am to celebrate new year's day? It's funny how people don't understand time, time zones, space, etc. in this thread.

AT&TCorp

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Regarding AT&T: I checked with the AT&T Store in Green Bay (250,000 Pop in our "market area") and two guys who seemed to know what was going on told me very specifically that they will have no iPad2s in stock Friday afternoon. They will take orders at 5 PM for future delivery and they have no idea when they will receive iPad2 inventory for orders they take.

Regarding Best Buy: You will have to wait outside in a line and between 4 and 4:30 pm they will hand out tickets for as many iPads as they have in stock. They apparently have received some and hope to receive more Friday morning.

You're 100% correct regarding AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.