Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is facing an expanded class action lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco by more than three dozen victims allegedly terrorized by stalkers using Apple AirTags, reports ArsTechnica.

airtag-1.jpg

The complaint targets Apple alleged negligence in allowing AirTags to become "one of the most dangerous and frightening technologies employed by stalkers" since they can be easily used used to determine "real-time location information to track victims."

The complaint is a revised version that was brought before a Californian judge in December 2022 by two women, one of which claims her ex-boyfriend used an AirTag to track her without her consent. Since then, plaintiffs allege that there has been an "explosion of reporting" showing that AirTags are often used for stalking.

To evidence its claims, the complaint cites more than 150 police reports in the United States as of April 2022, as well as an upsurge in international stalking cases involving AirTags. Plaintiffs argue that Apple has not done enough to reduce potential harms, which they claim can include financial ruin and in extreme cases murder.

There have been multiple news stories about AirTags being used for vehicle theft, stalking, and other nefarious purposes, which has led Apple to make several updates to how AirTags work to prevent criminals from taking advantage of them.

When setting up an AirTag, for example, Apple shows warnings to thwart malicious use. The warning makes it clear that the AirTag is linked to an ‌Apple ID‌, that using it to track people is a crime, and that law enforcement can request identifying information about the owner of the AirTag, which Apple will readily provide.

With an April 2022 software update, Apple made the AirTag sound louder, also to help cut down on stalking attempts. Apple also added safety features that include Precision Finding, improved display alerts, and louder sounds that are designed to make ‌AirTags‌ more difficult to use for people-tracking purposes. Additionally, Apple released the "Tracker Detect" app that allows Android users to scan for AirTags to make sure there are none around.

Despite these updates, plaintiffs have alleged that AirTags remain dangerous. For instance, one Georgia resident quoted by ArsTechnica reported that she and her daughter were being stalked by someone using AirTags within the past two weeks "without knowing by whom or why." Although she cannot locate the AirTags, she receives daily alerts from Apple and chimes from the AirTags that confirm that the AirTags are still there. These chimes only signal to the victim that she's being perpetually watched. "Every day, I am reminded that me and my daughter are not safe," added the victim in the complaint.

The complaint alleges that Apple violated federal and state laws by negligently releasing a defective product, and has been unjustly enriched while invading the privacy of those victim unwittingly being tracked on its devices. Plaintiffs are seeking damages to all persons in the US who own iOS or Android devices, which includes classes of users who were stalked, as well as those who were allegedly at risk of stalking.

The complaint also seeks a court order "enjoining Apple from further unlawful, unfair, and/or fraudulent practices with respect to the design, manufacture, and release into the market of its AirTags."

Apple is expected to move to dismiss the lawsuit by October 27, the deadline by which the company must respond to the amended complaint.

Article Link: California AirTag Lawsuit Widened to Include Dozens More Stalking Cases

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Although she cannot locate the ‌AirTags‌, she receives daily alerts from Apple and chimes from the ‌AirTags‌ that confirm that the ‌AirTags‌ are still there.

Umm what? She can hear them and receive alerts but cannot locate them???

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Let me preface this by saying that what some people are using AirTags for is disgusting and these people should feel the consequences of their ****** behavior.

How this behavior is Apple's fault or why Apple should be liable is not really apparent to me, though.
The fact that a device can be used for criminal purposes doesn't make the manufacturer/designer of the device the criminal (unless the purpose of the device is to commit crimes).

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Although she cannot locate the ‌AirTags‌, she receives daily alerts from Apple and chimes from the ‌AirTags‌ that confirm that the ‌AirTags‌ are still there.

High pitched sounds are hard to locate, especially if they only occur like once a day. One beep, then it's gone, for another 24 hours. You'd have no clue where it came from.
Though the solution would be to use the app to make it beep constantly until you find it, or even use one of the newer iPhones that can point at it with an arrow or something. But the situation still sucks because the victim is the one who has to solve the problem.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Of course, unexpected and unwanted AirTags would give anyone cause for concern.

But, if one was in my house, and stayed there, it really wouldn't communicate any information to a stalker. It wouldn't identify when I go out or return, nor where I have gone, what I am doing, or anything else.

If it were in a bag, or clothing, or a car, then that is much more significant. But should also be more readily findable.

Am I completely missing some factor here? Quite possible, I'm sure. But I have scratched my head for a while before replying.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I mean… trackers have been around for a very long time. There are many that use GPS and have no protections at all. This is only happening because it’s an Apple product.
The issue is the auto-sharing that the Airtag does. I don't believe Tile automatically connects to other devices so you can track something without being near it.

I'm not saying I agree with a lawsuit, but we've seen Apple scramble to make updates to increase security with this since it was released.

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
The issue is the auto-sharing that the Airtag does. I don't believe Tile automatically connects to other devices so you can track something without being near it.

I'm not saying I agree with a lawsuit, but we've seen Apple scramble to make updates to increase security with this since it was released.
it looks like tile have something similar

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 13.33.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 13.33.09.png
    621.6 KB · Views: 144

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
People have the capacity to misuse just about anything, sometimes for disgusting purposes.

Victims of the above also have an equally disgusting capacity to try and sue anyone but the responsible person(s) mentioned above in order to profit from their misfortune.

Only lawyers seem worse than either of the above.

Last edited:

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Without trying to excuse horrible things that almost any technology can be used for:

I think we all realize that this is an opportunistic lawsuit driven by some lawyer office campaign, because well - why not sue Apple because you'd probably not get anywhere if you tried to sue (insert name of a different tracker company manufacturer).

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium

Apple is facing an expanded class action lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco by more than three dozen victims allegedly terrorized by stalkers using Apple AirTags, reports ArsTechnica.

airtag-1.jpg

The complaint targets Apple alleged negligence in allowing AirTags to become "one of the most dangerous and frightening technologies employed by stalkers" since they can be easily used used to determine "real-time location information to track victims."

The complaint is a revised version that was brought before a Californian judge in December 2022 by two women, one of which claims her ex-boyfriend used an AirTag to track her without her consent. Since then, plaintiffs allege that there has been an "explosion of reporting" showing that AirTags are often used for stalking.

To evidence its claims, the complaint cites more than 150 police reports in the United States as of April 2022, as well as an upsurge in international stalking cases involving AirTags. Plaintiffs argue that Apple has not done enough to reduce potential harms, which they claim can include financial ruin and in extreme cases murder.

There have been multiple news stories about AirTags being used for vehicle theft, stalking, and other nefarious purposes, which has led Apple to make several updates to how AirTags work to prevent criminals from taking advantage of them.

When setting up an AirTag, for example, Apple shows warnings to thwart malicious use. The warning makes it clear that the AirTag is linked to an ‌Apple ID‌, that using it to track people is a crime, and that law enforcement can request identifying information about the owner of the AirTag, which Apple will readily provide.

With an April 2022 software update, Apple made the AirTag sound louder, also to help cut down on stalking attempts. Apple also added safety features that include Precision Finding, improved display alerts, and louder sounds that are designed to make ‌AirTags‌ more difficult to use for people-tracking purposes. Additionally, Apple released the "Tracker Detect" app that allows Android users to scan for AirTags to make sure there are none around.

Despite these updates, plaintiffs have alleged that AirTags remain dangerous. For instance, one Georgia resident quoted by ArsTechnica reported that she and her daughter were being stalked by someone using AirTags within the past two weeks "without knowing by whom or why." Although she cannot locate the AirTags, she receives daily alerts from Apple and chimes from the AirTags that confirm that the AirTags are still there. These chimes only signal to the victim that she's being perpetually watched. "Every day, I am reminded that me and my daughter are not safe," added the victim in the complaint.

The complaint alleges that Apple violated federal and state laws by negligently releasing a defective product, and has been unjustly enriched while invading the privacy of those victim unwittingly being tracked on its devices. Plaintiffs are seeking damages to all persons in the US who own iOS or Android devices, which includes classes of users who were stalked, as well as those who were allegedly at risk of stalking.

The complaint also seeks a court order "enjoining Apple from further unlawful, unfair, and/or fraudulent practices with respect to the design, manufacture, and release into the market of its AirTags."

Apple is expected to move to dismiss the lawsuit by October 27, the deadline by which the company must respond to the amended complaint.

Article Link: California AirTag Lawsuit Widened to Include Dozens More Stalking Cases
As a European from a country that doesn't readily allow citizens to own (or carry) firearms willy-nilly, I really wonder how this can even be a thing in the US.
Producing and selling weapons (that are used for tens of thousands of homocides every year) is ok. But producing and Producing and selling a luggage tracker that's been used by a couple of stalkers: COMPLICIT TO MURDER!

grjj

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2014

Tile 100% does exactly that. You must have the Tile app installed to participate in their tracking network and that's the real difference.
With a Tile you may get a location update a few times an hour as another Tile user happens to walk by.
With AirTab you tend to get a updates a few times a minute since the entire iPhone population is in the location network by default.

Reactions: Basic75

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005

Just to give you a different perspective - I am profoundly deaf and have bilateral cochlear implants. When I lost my Airtag, I used it to rely on the sound but it is very, very difficult to pinpoint the location. I had to ask someone for help to locate it.

Reactions: polyphenol

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

GPS trackers are cheaper and report location all the time.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Welcome to America where we blame good technology for the actions of bad people and make those not involved in the crime bear the consequences of those who should face harsh penalties. Blame the product, not the perpetrators and pursue the deep pockets. It's the American way!

if the technology was good enough it would mitigate this issue by design

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.