Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
if the technology was good enough it would mitigate this issue by design
maybe you could illuminate us all to your brilliance. As far as I can tell, about all that can be done has been done, but maybe I am not as smart as other folks. Maybe you are saying that any AirTags not registered to you don't get to ping the network - oh wait, how would that work, if you lost something then it couldn't be found. hmmm. Seriously, I would love to hear your thoughts to support your comment. Maybe it could be legislated and all companies with trackers have to comply.

The concept of a tracker is inherently subject to this. But even cell phones can be tracked, so is it the tracker, or the criminal?

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
maybe you could illuminate us all to your brilliance. As far as I can tell, about all that can be done has been done, but maybe I am not as smart as other folks. Maybe you are saying that any AirTags not registered to you don't get to ping the network - oh wait, how would that work, if you lost something then it couldn't be found. hmmm. Seriously, I would love to hear your thoughts to support your comment. Maybe it could be legislated and all companies with trackers have to comply.

The concept of a tracker is inherently subject to this. But even cell phones can be tracked, so is it the tracker, or the criminal?

Ill make it very simple it is both the tracker and the criminal, hope that helps.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
As a European from a country that doesn't readily allow citizens to own (or carry) firearms willy-nilly, I really wonder how this can even be a thing in the US.
Producing and selling weapons (that are used for tens of thousands of homocides every year) is ok. But producing and Producing and selling a luggage tracker that's been used by a couple of stalkers: COMPLICIT TO MURDER!

It’s worse than you think—firearms manufacturers are largely immune from liability for their products under federal law.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
In other news Zwilling (they make Henkels knives) is going to be the subject of a class action lawsuit because of how many people have been stabbed by the knives they make.

i doubt you would be so cavalier if the subject matter were, say, a gun manufacturer’s liability after a mass shooting? But yeah a nearly imperceptible tracking device is beyond scrutiny sure 👌

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Just to give you a different perspective - I am profoundly deaf and have bilateral cochlear implants. When I lost my Airtag, I used it to rely on the sound but it is very, very difficult to pinpoint the location. I had to ask someone for help to locate it.

That is a fringe scenario, and I look forward to seeing how many of the plaintiffs have the same implants.

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Interesting how Apple is so resistant to aiding law enforcement, except when the viability of an entire product is on the line.

Nice lie there. If law enforcement wants something they can get a warrant like they are supposed to, and they get what they need that is technically feasible without breaking encryption for everybody and everything.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Stalkers are so dumb. They should be using Tiles - since apparently no one checks for those.

Ok, in all seriousness, so 150 police reports…and how many AirTags are in use? Lets take things in perspective here.

Reactions: Timpetus

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I mean… trackers have been around for a very long time. There are many that use GPS and have no protections at all. This is only happening because it’s an Apple product.

Exactly, the potential for a tracker to be used to stalk someone or with other unsavory intention is there and is a weakness of the industry/product as a whole, not Apple’s fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.T.Pelée

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Ill make it very simple it is both the tracker and the criminal, hope that helps.
Nope, not at all. Kind of an over simplification that borders on meaningless. The point you need to address is what more than is already being done do you propose is done, and is that then required of all trackers? Keep in mind, apple already does more than almost all tracker manufacturers. Maybe ban all trackers?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I mean… trackers have been around for a very long time. There are many that use GPS and have no protections at all. This is only happening because it’s an Apple product.
Yup. I don’t see Tile or any of these other ones taking heat.
It's no different than how life saving devices have been around for a very long time too, yet Apple gets a lot more media attention when something like Emergency SOS via satellite or an Apple Watch health feature is credited with saving someones life.

Apple has to deal with the bad (AirTag tracking and stalking) and the good.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
gun manufacturer’s liability after a mass shooting?

Tired old trope, but I'll play. Gun manufacturers should bear some liability... the second a gun moves on its own, loads on its own, targets on its own and fires on its own. Exactly how many, consumer available guns, can move, load, target and fire by themselves? I'll wait, forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

Guns don't kill people... people kill people, sometimes with guns, sometimes with makeshift bombs, sometimes with knives, sometimes with baseball bats, sometimes with rope, sometimes with cars, sometimes with chemicals, sometimes with their bare hands, sometimes with a hammer, sometimes with fire, sometimes with water, sometimes by paying other people to do it.

Need I go on?

Yup, people can do stupid things with an AirTag, not because of Apple or the AirTag itself, but because people are stupid. I feel for any victim but at the end of the day no one is responsible for what happened to them besides the perpetrator. Believing otherwise has opened the flood gates of frivolous lawsuits we enjoy today.

Shall we sue the Earth because a perp used a rock to break a window before murdering someone in their home? :rolleyes:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I know bad people will always find a way to use tech for crimes but in the other hand can backfires on them sometimes. My son had his e-bike stolen and because of AirTags, we were able to locate and retrieve it. Called the COPS but because the bike was parked outside in an apartment complex, we could not get the bastard.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I know bad people will always find a way to use tech for crimes but in the other hand can backfires on them sometimes. My son had his e-bike stolen and because of AirTags, we were able to locate and retrieve it. Called the COPS but because the bike was parked outside in an apartment complex, we could not get the bastard.
Then people in the area will receive the AirTag alert that they are being tracked but actually someone stole/found a tracked item.

It would be great if the users who received the alert to let them know the AirTag is in lost mode which they may have some idea that someone lost something nearby and maybe they could search and possibly return the item.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.T.Pelée

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
That’s because it works so well thanks to the large network of Apple phones and the low cost to purchase.

Let’s not kid ourselves this is an Apple problem.

Maybe you don’t care for the victims but I do.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So where are the class actions against Tile, Garmin, and all the other ‘tracker’ manufacturers? Is this proof that AirTags are vastly superior to any competition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.