Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
Thanks.
Just a shame I'm selling my collection now anyway lol.
Just trying to clean it up a bit. It's a bit scratched because of its age, but it's in pretty good shape.

Unbelievable...Just wrote you PM asking if you're willing to sell it to me or exchange.
Probably you and Fralle will make my dream real...

Sorry, where are my manners. Congratulations, of course!

Last edited:

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Here are the pics.
It's a bit scratched but seems in good condition all round.
Battery seems ok but needs to be tested out.
It's running the firmware 1.5 and I think it's the windows version.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
Here are the pics.
It's a bit scratched but seems in good condition all round.
Battery seems ok but needs to be tested out.
It's running the firmware 1.5 and I think it's the windows version.

image is uploading, but even the miniature looks amazing!

And could you please answer my message? See PM and e-mail

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
In the middle of adding them. They don't seem to be so clear as uploading from my phone.

----------

Pics uploaded. They're a bit blurry but you get to see the main thing :)

Thanks for pictures and thanks for notification! Hope to finish the deal with you soon :) Oh, I'm so happy, that my collection is finally filling!

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
So, what we know know about official Apple's special and limited edition iPods:

- The most common are (product)RED special edition iPods

red_image.png

8077557129_27a40189c6_n.jpg

- Also well-known are stainless steel special edition iPod shuffle 3rd generation

Apple-iPod-Shuffle-3G-special-edition-polished-stainless-steel-2.jpg

- You can rather easily find Special Edition U2 iPods of 4th and 5th generation (4 variations in common)
20120308133232.jpg

20120308134017.jpg

top-10-limited-edition-ipods-20080820064718617-000.jpg

- Very rare are Harry Potter Collector's iPods of 4th and 5th generation (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/200...-Debut-Exclusively-on-iTunes-Music-Store.html)

20120306234750.jpg
20120308134532.jpg

- Almost unique are limited edition iPods from 2002. These are just personalized iPods, but still - almost impossible to find (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Apple_Posts_Signature_iPods_From_Tony_Hawk_Beck_Madonna)

b8805be0064bfa53066d224f531f4ec2.jpg

- And unique Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod (http://web.archive.org/web/20060825030531/http:/www.apple.com/itunes/redhotchilipeppers/terms.html)

d073c64a247bb3dcd1795586db97a6d6.png

53f05216d816c8bc752849e9521d5177.png

Did I miss something?

Last edited:

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014

- Also well-known are stainless steel special edition iPod shuffle 3rd generation

- You can rather easily find Special Edition U2 iPods of 4th and 5th generation (4 variations in common)

- Very rare are Harry Potter Collector's iPods of 4th and 5th generation (http://bit.ly/1pcqYn6)

- Almost unique are limited edition iPods from 2002. These are just personalized iPods, but still - almost impossible to find (http://bit.ly/1hN7Y9V)

- And there exists the one and only Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod (http://bit.ly/1hXA9xP)

Did I miss something?

I want to know if apple sold this iPod's or they are engraved by third paty..

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
I want to know if apple sold this iPod's or they are engraved by third paty..

All of them are definitely engraved by Apple and sold or given out by Apple only - that's point of my interest. There are dozens of iPods, engraved by the third parties, but you will never count all of them - iPod is very popular device, and many companies engraved iPods for personal reasons. I mentioned only official Apple's special/limited editions

Last edited:

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North

- Very rare are Harry Potter Collector's iPods of 4th and 5th generation (http://bit.ly/1pcqYn6)

- Almost unique are limited edition iPods from 2002. These are just personalized iPods, but still - almost impossible to find (http://bit.ly/1hN7Y9V)

- And there exists the one and only Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod (http://bit.ly/1hXA9xP)

Did I miss something?

How about the Jaguar X iPod made by Apple? ;-)

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Yes, it is extremely limited, but it is not official Apple's limited edition. It was customized for Jaguar, but not by Apple.

So the Jaguar is a third party customization? Isn't it a edition made by Apple for Jaguar? And I wouldn't call the "Red Hot Chilli" a limited edition when only one was made...its more like a prize in a lottery ;-)

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
So the Jaguar is a third party customization? Isn't it a edition made by Apple for Jaguar? And I wouldn't call the "Red Hot Chilli" a limited edition when only one was made...its more like a prize in a lottery ;-)

Yes, "Special Edition" is probably better. And if Apple created it - why not to call it the special edition? Even if it is unique :)

However, I'm waiting for your answer regarding ND - could you please answer my e-mail?

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Why don't apple think about making a new limited edition? Say, limit it to 1,000 iPods. Should boost sales a bit.
The Red Hot Chilly Peppers iPod is nice :)

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
The Red Hot Chilly Peppers iPod is nice :)

Can't wait getting my hands on it!

P.s. answer my e-mail (2, actually) also, please!

----------

Why don't apple think about making a new limited edition? Say, limit it to 1,000 iPods. Should boost sales a bit.

That's easy - the volume of the iPods is decreasing every year, and Apple is spending R&D resources for the new iPhones/iPads/???. And they are selling millions of iPods - 1000 is _nothing_, even if the price would be increased. People will buy them in one second, but nobody will buy another iPods more often, than usually. And the iPod is already "yesterday" for Apple - they see no reasons to introduce even the new lineups (they already doubled the size of the renew cycle - now it is 2 years) - who will spend much effort for special editions?
There is (product)RED for enthusiasts - and that's enough for them. I think that they are thinking this way.

However, I can say you, why and when Apple introduced the special editions. It was done when iTunes Music Store got the new and very valuable artist. The only exception was the Tony Hawk limited edition iPod :) Madonna, Beck, No Doubt had special editions.
iPod U2 and Harry Potter iPod - also were introduced as "Welcome" sign to the corresponding artists/audiobooks series.
Answering your not-asked-yet question - I know that from one of the Apple engineers.
Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod was a bit special - the band organized the pre-order of their album (the first one in iTunes), and organized a promotion with Apple. And there were only one special edition iPod that time (however, I heard somewhere, that there also existed 30GB RHCP iPod, but it was given away in some another RHCP promotion, not through Apple, so I couldn't find the information - how, where and when it was given out, if it was).

And my question is different - why the Classic is still alive? They are keeping it without renewing for 5 years already - absolutely unexplainably.

Last edited:

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Can't wait getting my hands on it!

P.s. answer my e-mail (2, actually) also, please!

----------

That's easy - the volume of the iPods is decreasing every year, and Apple is spending R&D resources for the new iPhones/iPads/???. iPod is already "yesterday" - no reason to introduce even new lineups (they already increased the renew cycle to 2 years) - who will spend much effort for special editions?
There is (product)RED for enthusiasts - and that's enough for them. I think that they are thinking this way.

Another question is - why the Classic is still alive? They are keeping it without renewing for 5 years already - absolutely unexplainably.

Exactly, iPods are seen as 'yesterday's technology'. People are now buying iPhones, iPads etc.
the iPod sector is dying unfortunately. By making a limited edition line, they cold potentially boost sales in a dying market.
It won't help in the long term, but it should draw some attention to the existing range.

P.S Emailing you now

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
Wow. Nice iPod!
All your limited edition iPods seem to be in too good condition for their age.
Do you have a scratch remover of some sort or do you change the backs to copied versions? ;)

Don't mix what you see with what is real...
I'm just choosing a right angle to make photos ;)
For example Tony Hawk iPod does have some visible scratches, if you will turn it in another way:
25940f189eaff39364fe952da26b104b.png

And your Madonna's iPod (which I'm sure would be mine soon...) also have them :)

But the RHCP iPod is really in pristine condition and do not have any visible marks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.