Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gundamzero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
The Great North Canada
I have a small youtube channel doing gear unboxings.

I am looking for a simple point and shoot camera to make videos with. Doesn't need to be the highest tech or latest gear. Also, simplicity is key, I am not very camera tech savy , so I do not want to fiddle with setting and options. I just do unboxing and simple review vids on my table or bed nothing extreme.

I do want auto focus though, to show fine details on the stuff etc I review.

What do you guy recommed? Would you recommend the Canon PowerShot SX620 HS, seems to be relatively cheap and easy to use?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I am looking for a simple point and shoot camera to make videos with. Doesn't need to be the highest tech or latest gear. Also, simplicity is key, I am not very camera tech savy , so I do not want to fiddle with setting and options. I just do unboxing and simple review vids on my table or bed nothing extreme.

What do you guy recommed? Would you recommend the Canon PowerShot SX620 HS, seems to be relatively cheap and easy to use?

Why don't you ask to move this thread to the 'digital photography' section of the forum.

That is where you will find the dedicated, very helpful - along with some extremely good and very experienced - photographers, and I am sure that they will be more than happy to advise you.

While I am a photographer, unfortunately, I still use film, and so, cannot really advise you on what might best suit your needs.
[doublepost=1467894061][/doublepost]Edit: With the OP's permission, I will ask if the mods can move this thread to the 'Digital Photography' section, as that is where you find those who will be able to advise you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRxROBOT

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
What's wrong with just using your iphone?

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

If you got a large budget the canon 70d is one of the rare dslrs with proper autofocus in video mode.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Thread moved as the digital photography forum is designed specifically for these types of questions.

As for the OP, I echo Meister's comments. I went on a weekend camping trip, I had my small Olympus pen camera which is the size of a point and shoot. I found myself using my iphone's camera more often then pulling out the Oly. In fact when I was hiking up Mt. Washington, I opted not even bring the Olympus. I needed to pack more cool/cold weather gear for that hike (75 MPH wind gusts and windchill temps in the mid 20s), and while not heavy, I wanted my backpack as light as possible.

Reactions: Meister

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I'm not that familiar with that particular camera, but if you want to have videos that are better than the rest, consider some decent lighting and microphone as much as your camera.
Check out this video for advice.

http://froknowsphoto.com/best-podcast-gear/?autoplay=1

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I heard good things about the a6000, too.

But if he wants to go as easy and as cost effective as possible the iPhone seems to be a great choice.
Yeah but focal length on iphone means it will have to be in the way to get the framing optimal no?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016

You can do unboxing videos with that. The thing is though, what do you want your videos to look like?

If you're looking to resemble MKBHD, then you're talking thousands in gear.

Something like this, a decent DSLR with some wide aperture lenses - you could probably do this for ~$1000 including lighting. For unboxings like this the key is in the editing as much as the gear.

Then there's the more straightforward 'someone talking into a camera with a few product closeups' review. Even this is done on a Sony A6000 in order for it to look as reasonably sharp and bright as it does.

Now, with something like an SX620 the small sensor really takes a hit in terms of image quality and also the look of the images. What you'll end up with is something more like this. Extreme closeups look OK, but unless they're well lit they'll still look like mush.

I'd go with the A6000 recommendations that others have said if you want decent quality that you can also use elsewhere. If the setup's not going to move and it's exclusively for decent quality unboxings, an older DSLR (Canon T3i for example) might be a good idea. Neither are magic boxes - you'll need adequate lighting to go with it in terms not things not looking noisy or smeary, but the A6000's a great all-rounder and the T3i has been a vlog staple.

Oh, Edit: If you're doing unboxings you actually want to lock focus and exposure, unless your camera has a way to shift focus smoothly (cheap ones - and by that under <$1K generally - don't). If e.g. your hand temporarily gets in the way of the product, then the camera will try and track focus on the hand - and it'll shift the focus point, and also may try and shift exposure on the hand. When you move your hand away, it'll shift back - and that creates a distracting effect. So for unboxings and general static / face-to-camera shots, etc, you don't actually need AF, and as long as you can manual focus it won't matter how fast the AF is - it can be a liability in many situations like this, and it's a major source of amateur-looking footage.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.