Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
As fuel efficiency gets pushed more and more the days of manual transmissions becoming numbered. Simple fact is automatics are getting less and less of a power penalty mix with the computer than can put the car in the right gear all the time. On top of all that CVT are becoming more common and that will put the engine at the best rev point for what ever is needed.
The manual transmission will continue be the least expensive to build and repair, so I don't expect it will disappear any time soon.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Most vehicles in the UK are "stick shift" or "manual" as we say.
I've driven both, and still prefer manual.

I was taught with a manual, passed my test with a manual, and Im licensed to drive both.
QI:
If you learn and test in an automatic, then the UK licence change stated automatic only.
You have to retest if you want to drive manual if you have that type of license.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The manual transmission will continue be the least expensive to build and repair, so I don't expect it will disappear any time soon.

It pretty much already has. In 2010, under 4% of new cars had manual transmissions.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It pretty much already has. In 2010, under 4% of new cars had manual transmissions.

I assume that statement should be qualified with "in the USA".

For example the EU figures (start on page 39) show that whilst automatics are getting more popular in the EU they only accounted for 16% of cars sold in 2010. I can't seem to find newer figures but the growth was slow from 2001 where it was 12%

Found the 2011 figures. Across the entire EU autos had risen to 20% of new car sales. I suspect as DSG transmissions are counted as autos.

Last edited:

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
[/COLOR]

Do not be so sure of that. Economics of scale kick in and autos are becoming cheaper to make and manuals are becoming your one offs. That means the tranny is going to cost more to make as few of them are going to be needed.

Also fuel economy the autos are going to win out as time goes one. Big time with the CVTs

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
In Europe the manual transmission is the standard transmission, and automatic is usually an expensive option. In the Netherlands (where I live), you take driving lessons in a 'stick shift' unless you speciafically choose to drive an automatic (usually in case of a handicap), in which case you will get an 'automatic' license and are not allowed to drive a manual with this license.

Double-clutch auto transmissions are becoming more and more standard on high-end sports cars because they shift quicker than a manual shifter, but the mid-end and low-end cars are all offered with manual transmission as standard.

I have my license for 7 years now and I have only driven an automatic transmission once. I didn't like it.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Strange that most of the posts in this thread are people who can drive manual - given the statistics you'd think we'd be the minority, but apparently Mac users like to row their own gears. :D

In Statistics, it is known as a "Self Selection" bias ... in simple terms, the results are skewed because the survey wasn't forced to be purely random.

In the USA, it is pretty much down to 'dead man walking'. Witness how even BMW doesn't even offfer a manual on every model anymore. Personally, I've preferentially driven sticks for 30+ years ... but due to market limitations, I'm not optimistic about my next new car having one.

There's a couple of reasons why, one of which is that automakers no longer can typically charge a premium for an automatic ... nor do they want to, because an automatic today gets good gas mileage in the EPA test.

Add to this that how (particularly for a lot of the smaller volume manufacturers - eg, EU brands), the cost to certify multiple variations needs to be paid for, unless one purposefully offers fewer engine and transmission choices in the US market...and the Manual is what's usually cut.

Of course, there's also the driver element, which gets into a Catch-22: people don't buy manuals because they didn't learn to drive one ... and they can't learn to drive one without having one. Similarly, daily commutes with heavy road congestion that result in stop-and-go traffic are unfriendly to enjoying a manual transmission. Finally, more consumers think of driving as a chore and not only abuse it through distracted driving (cellphone/texting). In the meantime, the Automakers don't see any of this as their problem, particularly since a "less engaged" driver means a consumer who is more likely to lease and delegate all service expenses to the dealership ($$ profits), and they'll also be more gullible and willing to pay $2000 for a GPS navigation system that's really only worth $200.

...and if one wonders why Apple is interested in iOS for the automobile, simply keep in mind this "10x" markup on the digital technologies which are going into automobiles today...the GPS navigation system for the BMW 3 Series is a $2150 option...and its another $1,900 for "Driver Assistance Package" (a couple of cameras and a warning beeper/light)...etc.

In Europe...Double-clutch auto transmissions are becoming more and more standard on high-end sports cars because they shift quicker than a manual shifter, but the mid-end and low-end cars are all offered with manual transmission as standard...

Yes, DSG's have come into automobiles from the likes of F1 racing and because they do shift faster for better "0-60mph" times. However, that doesn't mean that they are all-around better: my wife's car has a DSG and it is utterly horrible when going slow (under 10mph) - - technologically, because these systems don't have a torque converter, they're very bad at being able to creep slowly ... such as when one backs out in reverse gear out of a driveway (a safety concern) or when in slow, heavy stop-n-go traffic.

FWIW, I just happened to read this article on the DSG topic this morning: "Its time to raise the white flag on dual-clutch transmissions"

-hh

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Is it hard to learn manual/how do I learn if I am going to buy one and I don't have access to one right now? I've always wanted one, and they are always about $1000 cheaper.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
FWIW, I just happened to read this article on the DSG topic this morning: "Its time to raise the white flag on dual-clutch transmissions"

-hh

Good, I hate automatics generally and dual clutch transmissions, and CVTs, they're total crap to drive.

The only automatics I own are my Marauder and my truck. And I've rented CVTs and they just suck ass. As do those stupid paddle shift cars.

Give me a clutch and a gear stick, because I'm a mans man and want a mans car.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Since when are they "Rare" You can order them as easily as you can an automatic. Unfortunately I cannot drive one, I am only 16 and have my "L" license and have not practiced with a manual transmission yet.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Since when are they "Rare" You can order them as easily as you can an automatic. Unfortunately I cannot drive one, I am only 16 and have my "L" license and have not practiced with a manual transmission yet.

Trust me you are not missing anything. Its a pain the Bs shifting all the time, never mind wearing the clutch out. The only thing a stick shift is good for is when it is on a Ford Mustang with an 8 cylinder with bad ass mufflers.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Is it hard to learn manual/how do I learn if I am going to buy one and I don't have access to one right now? I've always wanted one, and they are always about $1000 cheaper.

Its really not hard to learn at all. A week to get the basics down and get driving perhaps, and a month to get really comfortable with it.. My experience at least!

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Trust me you are not missing anything. Its a pain the Bs shifting all the time, never mind wearing the clutch out. The only thing a stick shift is good for is when it is on a Ford Mustang with an 8 cylinder with bad ass mufflers.

Or people who want complete control over their cars, something an automatic or dual clutch can't give you.

Manuals are also more reliable, and cost less to repair.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Since when are they "Rare" You can order them as easily as you can an automatic

Availability depends on what market (read: Country) you're in. Canada and the USA can differ significantly ... For example, go to BMW's USA website and you'll find that manuals are optional on the sedans, but totally unavailable on others - an example being the 328 Touring, 335 GT, all versions of the X1, X3, others. Move over to Mercedes and no manual versions on the C Class, etc. of course, these are both low volume brands, but that just helps us identify that it's partly the DOT regulations which influence the manufacturers' business decisions.

-hh

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Oh, and anyone who thinks manual transmissions are no good are just silly.

Drive a car like my 2012 Corvette Grand Sport, and go full out in a straight line, every time you change gears and pop the clutch, known as powershifting, at least in my car from 2nd to 3rd gear, you get this awesome jammed into your seat whiplash feeling.

Nothing beats popping a clutch and slamming some gears.

WAY more fun than a Dual clutch or a Automatic.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Manual (stick) shift cars are rare today and I'm wondering how many people still know how to drive them. How did you learn and do you have a desire to own one?

I learned on a friends Chevy Cavalier Z24.

My first car was an automatic BMW E30. Every car since then has been a manual BMW.

Automatic cars are BORING. The only auto I'll even consider is a rocket fast dual-clutch.

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I learned on a friends Chevy Cavalier Z24.

At the ripe old age of 29, I remember those cars coming out as a kid with " 3100 series power! And the front drive your looking for! " God those ads were awful.

But, it was a pretty lightweight car with 160 horsepower and almost 230 ftlbs of torque, VERY underrated car for a good price.

My first car was an automatic BMW E30. Every car since then has been a manual BMW.

I love BMWs, not the best put together or reliable, but such a joy to drive.

Automatic cars are BORING. The only auto I'll even consider is a rocket fast dual-clutch.

Exactly, in a boring A-B daily driver or a pickup truck an automatic is fine.

Anything else? Give me a good old fashioned stick shift :)

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I always wanted to drive a standard shift so I got my new car in 6-Speed manual (2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan). I've been driving it for a month and can shift it pretty smoothly. Still working on shifting into 2nd more smoothly and downshifting without jerking (rev matching, per sé).

Right now I'm on mazda3rev playing "10,000 dumd questions & concerns noob-standard shift drivers ask" cause I fear reddit will eat me alive and the only responses I get on here are none or ****** redirects.

Either way, it's a lot of fun for me, even now I kinda want to drive for the hell of it. I really want to just go all out on a straight-away but I'm avoiding that temptation on public roads.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I always wanted to drive a standard shift so I got my new car in 6-Speed manual (2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan). I've been driving it for a month and can shift it pretty smoothly. Still working on shifting into 2nd more smoothly and downshifting without jerking (rev matching, per sé).

Right now I'm on mazda3rev playing "10,000 dumd questions & concerns noob-standard shift drivers ask" cause I fear reddit will eat me alive and the only responses I get on here are none or ****** redirects.

Either way, it's a lot of fun for me, even now I kinda want to drive for the hell of it. I really want to just go all out on a straight-away but I'm avoiding that temptation on public roads.

Let the clutch out slower... Actually, I would have no idea. Its been running on the same used clutch for 50k+ miles. I have this growing fear though that when the clutch finally goes I will have to re-learn stick because a new clutch will "grab" so much more... :(

As for the public road thing, I feel for you. I just need a nice long track or something. Oh, and maybe a car that is not my families and not a honda civic :D

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Let the clutch out slower... Actually, I would have no idea. Its been running on the same used clutch for 50k+ miles. I have this growing fear though that when the clutch finally goes I will have to re-learn stick because a new clutch will "grab" so much more... :(

As for the public road thing, I feel for you. I just need a nice long track or something. Oh, and maybe a car that is not my families and not a honda civic :D
I honestly think it has to do with my acceleration. If I shift too high in 1st (3k) at slow speeds then the engine kinda wobbles when going into 2nd or jerks a little, so I take it as I'm shifting too early or not rev matching properly. If I shift too low, then it still jerks a little as its still not moving too much. The majority of the time, I can shift smoothly into 2nd, but I was to get more consistent.

Just switch from driving an automatic for the past 15 years to a manual. Just like riding a bike, you never forget.
To be honest, I find driving a manual kind of rewarding. I mean, I feel good shifting through gears and then remembering my dad driving this from NY to GA to spend 6 hours holding my hand through all the frustrations, stalling, re-explanations, etc... He even admitted he was terrified of me driving this in Atlanta traffic. But I've been all over midtown and haven't stalled in a good while. Finally was about to conquer steep inclines, though. THAT is a bitch to learn on your first few attempts.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
...Nothing beats popping a clutch and slamming some gears...

Yes, it is the feeling of oneness with the machine, which can come in many forms ...

Try sometime when on AutoCross to pick up the pace when on a decreasing interval slalom (when one should actually be slowing down) and letting her go into severe oversteer, where you're hanging the back end out ... waaaay out - such that the next slalom cone is being squarely viewed through your side windows instead of the windshield ... and then getting through clean without even nicking a cone.

FWIW, this is something that's become a real challenge to still do today, with all of the digital stability/ABS/Traction/etc nanny electronics.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.